MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm no stranger to MV's, I have owned 3 over the last 7 years, but having said that I am not that blinkered to think that there are no other motorcyles out there.

Over the years I have tried a variety if bikes, R1's, Firebaldes etc but for some reason never a GSXR, it just dosen't do it for me.

Having said that I have always been a big Ducati fan having owned a 748 and probabaly 5 monsters over the years, over the passing months my local Ducati dealer has had a 1098 demonstrator which has been tempting me to 'have a go' so, yesterday I did just that, I have looked at one before and I do feel the build quailty is a little poor compared to MV, the exhaust behind the footrest is not nice, and I think the mirrors are quite cheap looking as well, I am also not a fan of the swingarm or rear sprocket cush drive.

My impressions on riding the bike are:
The motor is very strong from low down and pulled harder and harder as the rev limit approaches, I would say the motor is slightly stronger in its lower midrange than my MV, but only slightly, the MV is much stronger in the higher midrange and higher rpm's.

Gearbox is very slick, probabaly slicker than the MV's to be fair, one thing I did notice though is when I am on a mission on the MV I sometimes go for a 7th gear, down the same road on the 1098 I still had a couple of gears left.

Brakes were as similar to my MV as could be.

Dash board? nah, not a fan, too much info on it and not easy to read when moving quickly.

Handling.........mmmmmm, very very harsh on the std Ohlins settings, slightly harder than an MV1000R and not in the same league as my reworked bike, front end had no feel at all after the MV, it might have been because it was fitted with Suprcorsa's and while they suited the Ducati more than the MV, I still think they lack compliance for general road stuff.

Getting back on the MV after the Ducati felt absolutely wonderfull :) :mouthwate turbine smooth, just as quick if not quicker, the Ducati's big pulses of power make it fell quicker than it is I think.

Would I swap????????? no no no no no, not at all, jumping straight off the 1098 onto my R brought that one home :) I still have the most desireable bike for me in the world.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
WOW Mike, thanks for that. I thought it was just me.

I also am an old Ducati nut, and have been very tempted by the 1098. But I just get back on the MV and it feels so much better, as you say like a turbine. Admittedly I have it well sorted, so for now I will stay put.
Still love Dukes, I just think my MV suits me better.
I am starting to hope the new MV 675 is a ripper. I would add one next to the Thou.
I am actually now thinking of getting a well used 748/916 and restore it and keep it. That will solve the twin urge.

Thanks for the write up as I know you have been getting itchy. I too have the dreaded 2 year itch.

Cheers

·
Registered
276 Posts
Once you have ridden an MV, you realized that nothing could be better. MV forever.

Thanks for your feed-back with your 1098 trip. Previously to your info I was sure about your final conclusions, but now I know that I was in the truth.

But anyway, moreover the F4 looks is insuperable.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
MVASyd said:
WOW Mike, thanks for that. I thought it was just me.

I also am an old Ducati nut, and have been very tempted by the 1098. But I just get back on the MV and it feels so much better, as you say like a turbine. Admittedly I have it well sorted, so for now I will stay put.
Still love Dukes, I just think my MV suits me better.
I am starting to hope the new MV 675 is a ripper. I would add one next to the Thou.

+1

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I haven't ridden a 1098 since early this year when I was going through the whole Ducati v's MV thing in my head.

At the time I thought the 1098 was a better ride, but went with the MV because I knew it would get better, the more I rode it. It has.

This summer it will be interesting to have another ride of the 1098 demo...but I cancelled my order last week.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Thanks Mike, a friend of mine picked up a 1098S a few weeks back and another is about to get one and I have to say all this bike buying has been giving me ideas...I know from riding a friends 999 I without doubt prefer my MV, but that still hasn't stopped that niggling feeling I want a 1098 every time I see one...unbiased write ups like this from experienced riders like yourself go a long way in helping.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I say the 1098 has been a phenomenal success. Ducati really got it right. Not having sat on a 1098, all I can say is if I were buying a bike purely based on looks, MV has no competition.

I do however want to get a Ducati...but then the Brutale is also appealing very much...and so are the new triple 675 cc Agustas and the next gen F4...and they come out in a couple of years which is great cause it will give me enough time to recover financially :p

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
SEE!!! I told you so! :D

I took the 1098 for it's first service and the salesman asked how I like it. I said, "okay" and he said "That's it?! Just okay?!" and said "Yeah, the 1098 is my choice in city traffic were I need to get my foot down because it's lower and narrower than the MV. But the MV is my choice for canyons were I don't need to get my foot down. The 1098 is an easier bike to ride but the MV is more fun and has better feedback" He then suggested I consider a Brutale or Monster. ;)

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Allan Gibbs said:
SEE!!! I told you so! :D

I took the 1098 for it's first service and the salesman asked how I like it. I said, "okay" and he said "That's it?! Just okay?!" and said "Yeah, the 1098 is my choice in city traffic were I need to get my foot down because it's lower and narrower than the MV. But the MV is my choice for canyons were I don't need to get my foot down. The 1098 is an easier bike to ride but the MV is more fun and has better feedback" He then suggested I consider a Brutale or Monster. ;)
Yeah! thanks Alan, I nearly didn't take the test ride after 'talking' to you, but it still niggled at me until I did, you were spot on......thanks :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Very useful info, I was toying with the idea of a Ducati 1098S, but after reading a few opinions on this forum, glad to say I'm over the Ducati :)

PS. Guys, what 675cc Agusta triple, what next generation F4 ? It's not even time for Milan yet, and we go with te rumors...not good, because some people will be dissapointed either way

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
PS. Guys, what 675cc Agusta triple, what next generation F4 ? It's not even time for Milan yet, and we go with te rumors...not good, because some people will be dissapointed either way[/QUOTE]

Its all in the pipeline,maybe a couple of years yet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've never ridden a F4 1000R, but I do have a 1098s and a SPR F4. All I can say is that I really like the 1098 a lot, I guess I am more of a V-twin guy then the in-line four type. Either way they are both great bikes and a lot of fun to ride, just look at my photo album! :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Ducatikid said:
I've never ridden a F4 1000R, but I do have a 1098s and a SPR F4. All I can say is that I really like the 1098 a lot, I guess I am more of a V-twin guy then the in-line four type. Either way they are both great bikes and a lot of fun to ride, just look at my photo album! :)
Yeah... Same here. Love 'em both. Both outstanding to ride, look at, behold. The both perform with the best, handle with the best. I find the fit/finish outstanding with both. Love the sounds of both.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Ducatikid said:
I owned a 748 too...great little bike...moved to an F4 750 and it was light years ahead...my lap times dropped 3 seconds instantly. I've also ridden an SPR at the track..what a ballistic 750...magnificent. You're a lucky man.

I've ridden a 1098s a few times now as well, and for me, it doesn't hold a candle to my current MV F4 1000...although 1098 was pretty comfy......
The reduced weight and great brakes on the 1098s were the best things, otherwise I think the F41000R would have it covered.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Velocemoto said:
I owned a 748 too...great little bike...moved to an F4 750 and it was light years ahead...my lap times dropped 3 seconds instantly. I've also ridden an SPR at the track..what a ballistic 750...magnificent. You're a lucky man.

I've ridden a 1098s a few times now as well, and for me, it doesn't hold a candle to my current MV F4 1000...although 1098 was pretty comfy......
The reduced weight and great brakes on the 1098s were the best things, otherwise I think the F41000R would have it covered.
The brakes between 1098 and 1000R are very similar :) no real differance at all

·
Registered
72 Posts
Velocemoto said:
I owned a 748 too...great little bike...moved to an F4 750 and it was light years ahead...my lap times dropped 3 seconds instantly. I've also ridden an SPR at the track..what a ballistic 750...magnificent.
I agree with that for sure, the F4 750 is far better than a 748 :)

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I gotta say that I feel that the MV is a better bike overall than the 1098. It has a more agressive powerband, suspension which is on par with the 1098's, and even though the MV carries more weight it doesn't give up anything in the corners and very little on the brakes.

Several Rags have the MV clocking faster laps particularly MasterBike and Roadracingworld.

I started to buy a 1098 but then I realized two things about the bike. 1 - It's early in it's development, and 2 - they are a dime a dozen and the bike just came out. They are sold before they even arrive at the dealerships. Now with the 848 coming out, it will just add to saturation. Personally, I like the exclusivity of the MV and the fact that it has the "GO" to match the "SHOW" just adds to the whole experience.

I must say, it took me a while to get comfortable with the front end of the MV because I am so use to the tractor feel of the Ducatis, but it really is an agile bike and it's pretty stable for the most part when the suspension is sorted, throttle application is smooth, and your body position is correct. The MV will not suffer fools. lol

In my humble opinion, the Ducati to own right now is the Desmo. The next best thing is an MV.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts