MV Agusta Forum banner

F4 1000R RG3 ECU installation

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  mikef4uk 
#1 ·
I just installed a new RG3 ECU on my 2007 F4 1000R ; the idle speed is now at 2000 RPM. Has anybody experienced the same type of problem and if so, how did you resolve it? All suggestions and recommendations are welcome and appreciated.

#3 ·
#4 ·
What is confusing me about your thread is the mention of a PC (power commander). It is my understanding that no PC are available for the F4R. I've talked to my dealer about the idle speed and they're really not sure what the problem could be because they haven't installed a new or flashed ECU on a bike yet.

#6 ·
:)
Roadrunner1 said:
What is confusing me about your thread is the mention of a PC (power commander). It is my understanding that no PC are available for the F4R. I've talked to my dealer about the idle speed and they're really not sure what the problem could be because they haven't installed a new or flashed ECU on a bike yet.
1/ A new ecu (RG3ecu) comes with a set of "standard" settings, for the bike to idle correctly at about 1200rpm the throttle position sensor or potemtiometer requires setting to give the correct reading, this is measured on the VDSTS system and is only adjustable on the R model via the VDSTS software.
As supplied my ecu was reading the throttle at 5% open, the setting once you have reset it via the VDSTS will be 2.3% and your idle will then drop to 1200rpm, you will then need to trim the co (mixture)

2/ Dynojet do not list a PC for the 1000R yet, I took the one from my 1000S when I sold it, all the connectors are the same and the injectors work in the same manner, the USB PC is also capable of sequential injection (they earth the injectors to fire them) so I fitted it.
Unfortunately the difference between the old M16 ecu (1000S) and the new one (5SM) then showed up, the old ecu has no input for speed except the crank rotation so it fires all the injectors every engine revolution, the new 5SM ecu is fully sequential and has an input from the camshaft as well, so it fires the injectors around the time the inlet valve opens on each cylinder, this means the PC will only operate the injectors every second revolution and will only read half engine speed as it takes the rpm reading from the original injector pulse, if you contact dynojet as Airfuel says they have a "fix" for this, I have a suspicion though once you have your RG3 ecu set up correctly you will be more than happy with it

#8 ·
Roadrunner1 said:
Thanks You!!!!
I truly appreciate the detailed instructions and advice. How much did it cost you to purchase the VDSTS? My Dealer in Ca. quoted me a price of $900 US.
Thanks again!!!!!
Try www.technoresearch.com mine for a "single bike ecu application" was $198, I think it will work on every 1000R though, it certainly works with both of my ecu's, basically the more bikes it covers the more it costs although you get the same available options etc. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.