MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo MV Enthusiasts,
The German Magazine “Motorad”, issue 22 – 10/15/06, has a wide compare-drive test with F41000R, 999 and Mile. The F4, driven from a former 250GP race driver cold Fuch, crashed its motor (with 2500km on the counter). The official issue is: The bearings in the crankshaft was not lubricated and got stacked. It was caused from the fact that the high-pressure oil valve got loos and felt into the oil sump.

(Maybe a member from Germany can make a better translation)

I am telling all of that, because in Greece are 3 F41000R soled, one of them is mine. The first, at 1500km, crashed already. Mine, after asking for a prevented oil change, at 2200km having read the German test, is hold on the dealer to be, further, checked if it’s on the limits to get crashed or not. The technician found a lot of metal particles in the oil, and believes that are coming from the crankshaft bearings.

So, how about in your areas, have you hared anything about problems in the engine oil circuit, are any recalls, etc.;

Greetings, tvass

PS. I have the RG3 exhaust, the central manifold and the ECU waiting to get installed, but I fear, I will have not, for long time, a bike to install them. I am very sad! :bandit:

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
:jsm: I hope those are isolated cases.

You say one F4R in Greece crashed. You mean the engine "crashed" like the test bike in Germany?

·
Registered
328 Posts
This is the reason why you should drive the bike often. You want anything thats going to break to break during the warranty period!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
When I first changed the oil in mine there was some metal on the magnet on the sump plug. I tried to remove most of it, so I could tell at the next oil change if it was still occuring .... but there didn't appear to be any more after the first oil change that I gave the motor..

Oil had already been changed by the dealer - twice! It's now done maybe 6000+ kms.

I put the metal bits down to normal running in of the engines internals!

To have a new motor or a number of them blow up under warranty would just about be the death knell of some manufacturers.

Will they do a recall on all F41000R's????

I think they should!!!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Recall? Based on this data set? You can't be serious?

What are we talking here? Like 3 or 4 bikes.

BTW, this is on the R motor. Your S, like mine, does not appear to be affected.

Let's see how this develops before we start chanting for recalls and the demise of MV.

Alex

gazman said:
To have a new motor or a number of them blow up under warranty would just about be the death knell of some manufacturers.

Will they do a recall on all F$1000R's????

I think they should!!!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
If I bought a new car for $35 000au and a bit dropped out the motor and the engine blew up that car company probably would go down as a 'has been'.

Unless it is another manufacturers fault through parts supply for the MV there is no excuse for major damage as described tvass!

It just doesn't happen in this day and age, or at least it shouldn't!!!

Maybe it was human error and she/he would surely be sacked by now!

What if the motor seizes, rider thrown off and killed??

I stand by what I said...'If I had an R I would not ride it till the factory or dealer gave me 100% assurance that it wasn't going to happen to my bike!!'

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I suppose our bikes are only as good as the people that design them and then those that put them together!

Out here we had ford cortinas in the 80's and there were so many Monday cars they became a real joke!! Nice cars but very poorly put together. Most were good or ok but if you got a bad one you had years of trouble till everything was eventually fixed or replaced!

Most australians would never buy a Cortina after all of that!!! The ford Capri wasn't much better. Some of these cars appear in the 'book of lemons" - cars that you don't just buy!

I'm not saying this about MV's I love my MV but if it happened to an R that I had bought ....

Hell would break loose!!!!!

·
Registered
503 Posts
"I suppose our bikes are only as good as the people that design them and then those that put them together!"

I think you could also say they are only as good as the people who ride and maintain them. Most PR bikes that are lent out to media types are treated much the same as a rental car. Thrashed wthout mercy and who cares about maintenance,not my responsibility. :violin:

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the R motor simply a S motor with a new head? If there were a design flaw in the lubrication system it would have reared its head already with the S motor. It sounds like this bike may be one that simply had an odd failure nit due to design but either incorrect assembly or just one of those unforseen events. If the same failure occurred in many bikes I would expect a recall. Never the less, somethiong like this would probably rear its ugly head within the warranty period anyway.
As far as product liability goes if a failure like this occurred and caused a crash and subsequent injuries the manufacturer would be liable for the life of the motorcycle regardless of whether the warranty applied or not assuming no one was in the engine. You would have to sue for the money, but it is most likly you would win.

FWIW I have seen Hondas break camshafts (same shaft, same location of failure) on multiple bikes. Hondas are well known for their reliability, but shit happens. That is why you have a warranty.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Koop said:
"I suppose our bikes are only as good as the people that design them and then those that put them together!"

I think you could also say they are only as good as the people who ride and maintain them. Most PR bikes that are lent out to media types are treated much the same as a rental car. Thrashed wthout mercy and who cares about maintenance,not my responsibility. :violin:

So true, just check out some of those UK bike mags, they trash those bikes like they are stunt machines, anyway 3 - 4 bikes is really not an indicitive sample to be concerned about, I mean if 3 - 4 owners who follows the scheduled maintenance have similar issues...maybe different

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'd be pissed if it happened to me but I've heard of new Porsche and Ferrari engines letting go and they haven't issued recalls. Sometimes things simply fail. Qualtity control for all manufacturing is so high these days we're suprised when something breaks. But imagine the cost to check that no item had any flaws (tolerence or material). It might turn out to be a bad batch of a particular item and they can therefore identify the bikes affected.

I've been very impressed with the qualtity of the parts on my 2000 MV in comparison to the jap bikes.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
gazman said:
If I bought a new car for $35 000au and a bit dropped out the motor and the engine blew up that car company probably would go down as a 'has been'.

Unless it is another manufacturers fault through parts supply for the MV there is no excuse for major damage as described tvass!

It just doesn't happen in this day and age, or at least it shouldn't!!!

Maybe it was human error and she/he would surely be sacked by now!

What if the motor seizes, rider thrown off and killed??

I stand by what I said...'If I had an R I would not ride it till the factory or dealer gave me 100% assurance that it wasn't going to happen to my bike!!'
So you wouldn't use an "R" until you had assurance from the factory, do you thank for one minute that they would say it may blow up and kill all MV sales with one comment?
You do know more than a few 1000S's blew up don't you? one by the same magazine (German anyway) that has had the "R" blow up, and a handfull of others that I know about.
The bottom end is basically the same as the 1000S, they altered the block/pistons and head

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The opinion of MVAgusta Italy, has been contacted, is that metal particles at the 2nd oil change are accepted, and decided to give me the bike today back.

They separated the cases, but they don’t tell me what was the cause at the other bike to get stacked.

One is the same, the bike in Germany and the bike in Greece got stacked on a straight at full throttle!

More comments only, if ……
tvass

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Shit I didn't know that about the S ARGHHHHHH!

Not gunna ride mine anymore AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts