MV Agusta Forum banner

F4 1000R / 1000S gearbox same as Brutale 910R?

922 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  moocowman 
#1 ·
My 2nd gear has been hopping between 2nd and neutral right after shifting and applying heavy load. I took it apart and the shift fork has rub marks from the gear. So, it's probably bent. Also, the dogs on the gear are rounded off as well as the mating surface of the gear to which the dog mates. There's one more gear that isn't looking hot neither, but I'm only having problems with 2nd.

There's an "F4 1000" gear box for sale on eBay for $275, "like new". I looked up part numbers for 04-08 F4 1000S / 1000R. The part number for the gear set was 800A3523, superseded by 800A1072. The Brutale 910R was 800A3523, superseded by 800A1072. The new part numbers are the same. The original part numbers were different. I imagine this still means the F4 1000 and Brutale 910R use the same gearbox, yes?

#2 ·
Look at the gear ratios listed for each bike....I think they are the same, just final drive (chain and sprockets) is different.
Are the part numbers for the gears you need the same?
And look carefully at the groove in the shift drum at the point where 2nd gear is engaged. The fork kicking back could have worn that spot and the problem will recur if you don't replace the drum too.

#3 ·
Looking at gear ratios, they are all the same except 6th gear. The B4 910 is 19/23, whereas the f4 1000 is 21/25. This sounds so slight I don't think I'd feel any difference, am I right? Also, both had the part numbers for the gearset superseded by the same part number. I'm thinking it must be the same fitment for both bikes. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

#4 ·
The F4 has a slightly taller 6th, probably because the aerodynamics will allow it to pull that, and have a higher top speed as result.
I think you are good to go....and you could always just use the parts you need to fix your original, so 6th gear could stay the same.

#7 ·
Thanks, Noel. I installed the new gearbox yesterday. It was an exact fit. Just riding on the freeway up to 90mph, I couldn't tell the difference between my old 6th and this new one from the F4 1000. Now that the weather's getting nicer, I'm hoping to do more riding. Just, nowhere to go with all the coronavirus shutdowns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.