MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

cleaning the bike intensely ;-) after the first rides, i have noticed some notches on the inside of the rear rim (see pics)
Does anyone knows about similar "damages". What could be the real cause?
I am sure that they have exist before dispatch.
Is it worth reporting it to the dealer?

Cheers
Toni

Sorry for my bavarian english... ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Yes report to dealer. Make sure it is scratches and not residue from the chain.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I wish it would be chain lube :-/ ...
I have cleaned the rim with brake cleaning agent.
You can feel the scratches with your finger nails

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Just get a degreaser, that stuff on your picture is spreading, I get that all the time with the carbon ceramic brakes, sticks to the rims like it's welded on. Spray silicone spray on your rims to help you get stuff of in the future.
Use a soft cloth mate, it looks like your using sandpaper on your rims.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx, this sounds convincing: brake pad wear debris...
That stuff is just in the plane of the discbrake. The chain runs far outside of the rim.

·
King of Bling
9,825 Posts
This is a weird one ?.. Under normal circumstances brake cleaner is a good agent for removing most oil, grease residue and lubrication substances.

Without seeing the damage in the flesh its difficult to ascertain what might have caused it..

If you’re saying its in the surface of the material, could it have been caused by the relocation of some wheel weights and a reaction to the glue lifting off the surface finish ?.. I appreciate that's a slim chance.

Like others have said, don't do anything else and report it ASAP to the supplying dealer.

·
Vendor
5,373 Posts
Mate,dont use brake cleaner on your wheel,it will mark your rim (too late now)just a mild degreaser with a soft cloth.Those marks do look like scratches though.

·
Registered
561 Posts
first thing i thought was chain lube, mine had some on the inside of the rim, it took tar and glue remover to get it off, i agree brake cleaner will damage the finish.

If it is scratches it could be from tyre fitting machine?

Strange

·
Registered
570 Posts
There is a wonderful product called Goo Gone that u can pick up at any automotive store. It works wonders on that nasty new chain grease. Also works great on tar. Just one whip around the rim with some on a MICRO FIBER towel and BAM. A clean wheel.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
If you had a rear hugger fitted by the dealer before pick up. Then perhaps they removed the rear wheel without freeing up the rear caliper and made contact with it. It also looks as though they may have used a screwdriver to remove weights instead of flossing them off.

·
King of Bling
9,825 Posts
Dan / Mitch… I’m not trying to get into a cantankerous debate or meaning to sound condescending, but please can you quantify why brake cleaner is bad for wheels.. :confused:

I’ve used it for years to de-grease all sorts of components and wipe chain lube off wheel rims.. It evaporates in seconds and I’ve never encountered any problems to date.

I appreciate its carcinogenic and precautions should be observed when spraying in poor ventilated areas, but its never left any long term damage on surfaces which I've wiped down with BC.

However, I’m keen to learn if you guys have experienced different issues when using BC.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
If you had a rear hugger fitted by the dealer before pick up. Then perhaps they removed the rear wheel without freeing up the rear caliper and made contact with it. It also looks as though they may have used a screwdriver to remove weights instead of flossing them off.
Why would you, on an MV, free up the rear caliper before removing the wheel Chris.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Dan / Mitch… I’m not trying to get into a cantankerous debate or meaning to sound condescending, but please can you quantify why brake cleaner is bad for wheels.. :confused:

I’ve used it for years to de-grease all sorts of components and wipe chain lube off wheel rims.. It evaporates in seconds and I’ve never encountered any problems to date.

I appreciate its carcinogenic and precautions should be observed when spraying in poor ventilated areas, but its never left any long term damage on surfaces which I've wiped down with BC.

However, I’m keen to learn if you guys have experienced different issues when using BC.

Not going against what you said John, just my 10c.
I find brake cleaner evaporates just a bit too quick so you end up wiping grime from a very dirty wheel with a drying cloth.
I use a aerosol type degreaser and once it's clear of grime I might finish the job of with a brake cleaner. Then coat it with silicon spray, best protection I found, and helps the shit come of easier next time around.

·
King of Bling
9,825 Posts
Dons

I hear what your saying mate..

I tend to spray the BC direct onto some paper kitchen roll and wipe the chain grease off the effected wheel area.. I keep using fresh sheets of BC soaked kitchen roll until all the grease is off the wheel rim and then finish off with a coating of Auto Glynn wheel polish..

That way the wheel has a thin layer of polish which helps repel some of the road & brake dust and makes it easier to clean next time round.

I suppose we all have our own methods and we're all correct in the way we do things..

I was just curious that Dan & Mitch where saying that BC can damage the wheel surface finish, when the main content in BC is only petroleum Distillate and I've never had an issue with the stuff.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Why would you, on an MV, free up the rear caliper before removing the wheel Chris.
From memory I could have sworn that if you did`nt swing the caliper out of the way that the rim would make contact. At least that is what I remember from the Brutale. I also remember having to swing the exhaust out of the way. But it has been a long time for me now.
PS. I hope to se you at the Bub4 this year.

·
Registered
561 Posts

No I understand, we all have our own experience with various products, I always keep one or two large aerosol cans in the shed, i work for a Ford dealer so I buy the trade stuff not the more user friendly general public cans.

I really rate brake cleaner as a degreaser but I'm careful on painted and lacquered surfaces, I have found it does damage powder coat. I know most companies lacquer powder coat, it maybe some use cellulose rather than 2 pack lacquer.

I prefer tar and glue remover for removing chain lube, I always polish them after.

Its great when it sprays back off parts into yr eye. Done that a few times

·
Registered
561 Posts
Surely you wouldn't need to move caliper on a single sided swing arm bike?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts