MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am planning on doing an engine head update on my 2012 F3 675 to get it up to date with the latest models and boost reliability for more frequent track days later this year (and I like tinkering).

My plan is specifically looking at:
1. New intake valves and cam (as per the MV update kit that comes with the intake valves and cam as a set)
2. Latest new MV valve springs (intake and exhaust)
3. Will keep the original exhaust valves. Will re-use the ones currently in the bike.

I will do a separate thread for this project, but my question now is specifically relating to the valve guides.

Mine still has the short valve guides as per the original design. MV and the race teams have since changed this to the much longer design in order to stabilize the valve better.

Is replacing the valve guide something a normal engineering shop that works with engines should be able to do (like one that frequently does diesel engine rebuilds) or is it something I should rather not touch and rather leave the stock guides in place and only update the intake valves, springs and cam to achieve my desired outcome.

The alternative is I ship my head to someone in the US or Europe that can do this (provided that they have a good track record).

Lastly where can I procure the latest OEM valve guides? MV for some reason don't list the part number? Probably because they think it is not a serviceable item. Someone posted a place for aftermarket guides in another thread, but I cant find it and I guess no hurt in having a dedicated discussion on this matter. I would prefer the latest OEM guides if possible.

·
Registered
867 Posts
From my basic knowledge the OEM guides are not available as a spare part which is why people often go down the aftermarket route. I am also looking so will let you know when I find.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yes please post up if you find something. I will email MV in Italy also.

·
Registered
30 Posts
MV no longer sell guides, Bruce Meyers in the US manufactures very good bronze guides and would be a good option for sorting your head. You will find him on FB "Meyers Performance Special Parts", he does good work and gives good advice

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks, Rod. Bruce will be reopening the workshop after his winter travels on April 2nd. We do have guides in stock. Feel free to email or text questions. [email protected] or text (USA) 603-581-8865. No calls please as he is out of the country.

·
Registered
13 Posts
@PTSales
Trust you are well.

I believe everyone is going the aftermarket route when it comes to replacing valve guides. I was up in Gauteng recently and spoke to the guys at Performance Technic in Kyalami. They are now the service agent for MV Agusta in RSA. I've had a walkabout in their workshop and seen they're doing technical work on MV's, especially overalls on F4's, F3's and B3's which have dropped valves.

Give them a call

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies guys. Bruce I will be in contact with you in the next couple of months.

Is it something a local engineering shop should be able to do, or do you recommend I ship my head out to you to have them fitted?

·
Registered
75 Posts
"Is it something a local engineering shop should be able to do, or do you recommend I ship my head out to you to have them fitted?"

Bruce here: What bike do you have? F4 are harder than F3. IMO a good machine shop with a good 4.5 mm carbide valve guide reamer should be able to install. Have to be careful as there is no room in the shim range to sink the valves. Happy to talk through if needed. Contact info provided above in thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts