MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE: DO NOT PURCHASE, SEE MY REPLY IN THREAD

So I decided to search around for a different drain plug for my F3. Just wanted to let everyone know that the size of the plug is an M16x1.5. The Greddy 13901304 fits the drain threading exactly.

Why did I buy an aftermarket drain plug?

3 reasons....

1. I don't like putting a lot of torque using hex wrench. I would rather be able to use an actual 6 point socket.
2. The magnet on this plug is neodymium and much stronger.
3. Now I know this part will fit and won't have to wait on ridiculously long shipping for an OEM part from Italy.

One update - if you buy this plug, you may need to add an additional 2-3Nm torque.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everyone it is with great regret that I must post this follow-up and advise against purchasing this product. I had hoped to find a suitable, perhaps better, aftermarket product that would be useful for everyone here. While this drain plug fits and has a more powerful magnet and you don't have to wait for parts from Italy, it does not quite fit EXACTLY as it should.

After I installed this plug on my bike after an oil change and tightened it down a little more snugly than given specs, oil would still leak from the plug. We're talking maybe 5-10 drops per day. Not a lot mind you, but even a tighter torque wasn't stopping it. After a few days I became more concerned and decided to drain the oil and put the OEM plug back in. What had gone wrong exactly?

Well the reason for the leak is because if you notice on the OEM plug, inside there is just a small short taper from the edge of the bolt to the threads. The aftermarket Greddy plug does not have this. The threading comes straight up against the bolt face and therefore is not able to provide a proper seal.

I will continue to search around for an aftermarket product. I have already reached out to RaceBolt in the UK asking if they might have such an item...they don't, but the gentleman that replied indicated they hope to in the future.

·
Registered
14,503 Posts
?

Spark;
The drain plug seals on the gasket, not a taper......
I'll bet the stock drain plug has a smaller thread pitch diameter, the slop allowing
the plug to tilt so it seals......

Trust me, bolts are made more accurately than oil pans are drilled and tapped

>:)>:)

·
Super Moderator
22,356 Posts
@Spark: What Noel says is correct. This leaves me wondering if you installed the sump plug gasket (crush washer) when you put things together.

See arrow:

F3 Sump Glug Gasket.jpg

·
Administrator
19,860 Posts
Also, you should never need to exceed the torque spec for a given fastener/plug..... Over-torquing a drain plug is a fast way to crack your oil pan. Trust me there...I've seen it many times.

Find a thicker paper type gasket for your new drain plug and torque to the spec. Lots of older bikes used paper drain plug gaskets.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I did install the new plug with the gasket. It still had the slow leak.

Also, you should never need to exceed the torque spec for a given fastener/plug..... Over-torquing a drain plug is a fast way to crack your oil pan. Trust me there...I've seen it many times.

Find a thicker paper type gasket for your new drain plug and torque to the spec. Lots of older bikes used paper drain plug gaskets.

Right, this is why I was really careful about applying greater torque to the new plug.

·
Registered
14,503 Posts
Leaker...

Go to the auto parts store and get a nylon drain plug gasket......
Make sure it threads onto the drain plug......then it won't fall into the oil drain pan:wink2:

On my Chevy it's 53 years old and has 327,000 mi on it without a leak

:grin2:

·
Registered
458 Posts
And to add to the discussion and make things more interesting.
I didn't replace the crush washer or oil filter housing o'ring when I did the first oil change.
And, no leaks.

·
Registered
14,503 Posts
?

Spark;
PSST......Leave sleeping dogs lie:wink2:

What part would you need from Italy??? the crush washer is reusable

Spark and airjawed;
Stop the silly chatter about the taper, it has nothing to do with sealing

This is the stock magnetic drain plug from my '08 Brutale 910R.....with 6,000mi of particles on it
It's the original crush washer too:grin2:
Bike has 35,000mi + on it

Attachments

·
Registered
565 Posts
Not saying the taper provides sealing... I'm saying that not having a taper might be bottoming out things before the crush washer has a chance to seal.

Simple way to tell is take crush washer out and see if it goes fully home. If it stops short then the taper is needed. Pretty sure no one will do this for academic purposes!

·
Registered
14,503 Posts
Not saying the taper provides sealing... I'm saying that not having a taper might be bottoming out things before the crush washer has a chance to seal.

Simple way to tell is take crush washer out and see if it goes fully home. If it stops short then the taper is needed. Pretty sure no one will do this for academic purposes!
airjawed, Read post #4 "the Grady doesn't have the taper".....

That means there's nothing to keep it from compressing the gasket!!!!!

Why can't you figure this out? It's not rocket science

·
Registered
565 Posts
I kept reading it as taper on OEM is on the part where bolt starts the thread. Looks like the taper is in the area where the crush washer is? In that case not having the taper limits the ability for the washer to expand/crush sideways where the thread meets the washer... but is free on the washer perimeter.

Worlds longest thread on drain bolts? LOL... you are welcome

airjawed, Read post #4 "the Grady doesn't have the taper".....

That means there's nothing to keep it from compressing the gasket!!!!!

Why can't you figure this out? It's not rocket science

·
Super Moderator
22,356 Posts
FFS people, there is something other than threads going on in this thread.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts