MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mostly just wanna show off my new avatar, but also wanna confirm this F3 oil change kit is okay.
because the manual insists on 20w, but several threads say 10w is also okay...
I think I commented on another thread before, but since I finally ran the 10w-40 oil change, I can definitely "FEEL" more engine heat. Temp gauge stays within reason, but still wanna make sure I'm not doing any harm, or something super dumb... (like wheelie-ing in a t-shirt, with no helmet)

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Mostly just wanna show off my new avatar, but also wanna confirm this F3 oil change kit is okay.
I think I commented on another thread before, but since I finally ran the 10w-40 oil change, I can definitely "FEEL" more engine heat. Temp gauge stays within reason, but still wanna make sure I'm not doing any harm, or something super dumb... (like wheelie-ing in a t-shirt, with no helmet)
I was under the impression the manual spec was 5W-40 (for the F3 675 at least).

I live in South Africa where it is really hot in summer so run a 10W-50 (Castrol Power 01) in summer.

Will depend on your ambient temperatures. If you live in cold climates then a lower first number is required. If you live in hot climates then a higher first and second number is recommended.

Ive run 10W-40 and 10W-50 on my F3 without issue. In winter the 10W-40 goes in as I cant find 5W-40 anywhere.

20W-50 is really thick when cold... Maybe specced for the TV or 800 ? I haven't seen 20W-50 in my service book.

Correct me if Im wrong anyone.

Nice avatar.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I wasnt too impressed with Motul 300v BTW.

I was much happier with Castrol Power 01 Racing , half the price and seems to keep a smooth gearbox longer than the 300V which got black and yucky quickly.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I went through this when I first got my F3. One manual said 20W-50 and another manual said something else 5W-30.
I ended up running 10W-40. Started with Motul oil but since that engine dropped a valve I have been running Mobil1 10W-40. It's less expensive and does the job as it should.
Not blaming the Motul for the dropped valve. Just switched because of price and quality. Also I know a couple of people who race their F3s and use it too so I figured if it is good enough for a former MV tech it is good enough for me...

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My mistake. My owner's manual calls for 5w-40. So i guess if there's technically nothing WRONG with the oil I used, I'm fine.

I live in one of the most MILD climates that could be found. Never really gets cold. Never really gets hot... medium clouds and sunny days all year long!

·
Super Moderator
21,464 Posts
Let's end the misinformation!!!!!

This controversy has been going on since the First F3 was produced. The Edition 1 manual transferred some bad information from the F4 manual to the tech section of the new F3 manual.

EVERY OTHER MANUAL SINCE THE EDITION 1 RECOMMENDS 5W-40 OIL FOR THE 3-CYLINDER SERIES MOTORS!!!!!!!

Here are the manual recommendations starting with the INCORRECT EDITION 1 MANUAL:

If you are using THIS manual, you are using outdated information:

F3 675 Manual Cover Edtion 1.jpg

f3 Cover Rear Edition 1.jpg

This OIL SPECIFICATION is INCORRECT!!!!

F3 Oil Specification WRONG Ection 1.jpg

The following are from the F3 and B3 series manuals and user manuals AFTER Edition 1....PLEASE NOTE THE CONSISTENCY IN OIL RECOMMENDATIONS!!!!

F3 675 Oil Spec.jpg

F3 800 Oil Spec Users Manual.jpg

F3 800 Oil Specification.jpg

F3-B3 Oil Specs.jpg

·
Registered
291 Posts
Silentservice is absolutely correct when he says the recommended viscosity is 5W-40...PERIOD. END OF STORY.

Of course there is always talk about what else works though. I personally have also run 10W-40 in mine without issue. I decided NOT to run 10W-50 due to the increase in oil pressure this will create because I didn't want to push it too much. PTSalas mentions he has run it without any problems, so it's up to each owner what they feel comfortable doing really. I live in an area where it's pretty hot in the summer so I could probably get away with this. This is something you should take into consideration also.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. I have the newer manual that lists 5w40 🤦*♂.
I think I'll do my next oil change with 5w-40, but ride out the 10w-40 for the summer, if there's no danger. Still wonder why the linked site marketed this as a "MV AGUSTA OIL CHANGE KIT: MOTUL 300V 10W-40 SYNTHETIC OIL & HIFLO OIL FILTER; F3/ BRUTALE 675-800, TURISMO VELOCE, STRADALE, RIVALE"
https://motowheels.com/i-23900140-mv-agusta-oil-change-kit-motul-300v-10w-40-synthetic-oil-hiflo-oil-filter-f3-brutale-675-800-turismo-veloce-stradale-rivale.html

·
Registered
410 Posts
Not an oil expert, but I would use the kit you linked to, rather than pay shipping to return it to the seller.

Just dropped the oil in my '16 TV800 yesterday for the 2nd time; 1600 miles.
Not going to describe the oil beyond, it is 5W40 that is JASO M2 rated.
The oil dropped, was hardly darker than when it went in; no chunks or fuzz on the magnet; shifting felt fine, to me.

·
Super Moderator
21,464 Posts
Ok. I have the newer manual that lists 5w40 🤦*♂.
I think I'll do my next oil change with 5w-40, but ride out the 10w-40 for the summer, if there's no danger. Still wonder why the linked site marketed this as a "MV AGUSTA OIL CHANGE KIT: MOTUL 300V 10W-40 SYNTHETIC OIL & HIFLO OIL FILTER; F3/ BRUTALE 675-800, TURISMO VELOCE, STRADALE, RIVALE"
https://motowheels.com/i-23900140-mv-agusta-oil-change-kit-motul-300v-10w-40-synthetic-oil-hiflo-oil-filter-f3-brutale-675-800-turismo-veloce-stradale-rivale.html
I just sent Motowheels an email asking them why they recommend an oil that is apparently in conflict with the manual.

·
Super Moderator
21,464 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
thanks
need to order a filter. I spoke with MV Agusta LLC and they said the first service is just an oil change and that any competent shop can do it. I was going to order the parts and take to a local dealer instead of trailing the bike 4 hours to the nearest authorized shop.

·
Administrator
18,862 Posts
Just make sure it is JASO MA2 rated....

·
Registered
130 Posts
I order everything on startwintrading.com or evolutionbike.it and have it shipped.

You dont need to replace the o-ring after every change. I think I am still on my original o-ring.
Hahahah I tried already at startwintrading.com and their shipping calculator to Canada was $60 for a tiny rubber hose!! Not sure what the glitch is with their system but its absurd.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Hahahah I tried already at startwintrading.com and their shipping calculator to Canada was $60 for a tiny rubber hose!! Not sure what the glitch is with their system but its absurd.
No, clearly not for small items. They are the most expensive with shipping.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts