MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Very cool I must say :yo: I am not so sure the cops here in Australia would agree with me :(

·
Registered
209 Posts
Very cool I must say :yo: I am not so sure the cops here in Australia would agree with me :(
Yep, very illegal here I'm afraid. Mr Plod was out in force last weekend in glorious Sydney sunshine, they were defecting all bikes with an aftermarket exhaust :wtf:

·
Super Moderator
22,501 Posts
So, as yo slow to turn, the guy behind you has no idea of your intention.....:ahhh:

·
Super Moderator
22,501 Posts
FWIW, I love the look of the F series with the cleaned up tail; BUT, I don't like the fact that folks aren't thinking it through about their safety, or the safety of others, when making modifications.

Putting your turn signals in a well (The vent ports on the tail.) effectively renders them useless to anyone approaching from any angle other than directly from behind. And, in the daylight, which is when most folks ride, make them invisible even from behind.

Using an "integrated system" that defeats the turn signal when you most need it is ludicrous.

I did mod my F4 turn signals to clean up the rear of my bike...I went to a BRIGHTER signal with a full 360° of view-able light so that other would possibly know my intentions and not hurt me.

Damn, I'm starting to sound like Noel here.

Anyway to each their own.

Ride responsibly,

Chuck.

DSCN5843r.jpg

DSCN5887r.jpg

DSCN5888r.jpg

DSCN5891r.jpg

DSCN5893r.jpg

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Damn YOU & your sensibilities Chuck!!!!!

Joking aside, Chuck is, as is the norm, absolutely spot on. I have to admit that even I lose focus of safety when it comes to aesthetics & I quite like the system because it cleans up the bike by taking away the blinkers. Apart from the F3 & F4 I don't own a single bike with blinkers, I am used to hand signals which incidentally work way better than blinkers because no one is used to seeing them anymore, therefore when you stick out a hand - people are like "WTF" and take notice, believe it or not.

But getting back to Chuck's point, as soon as he mentioned the safety aspect after the question was asked as to how they worked - I thought OMG :eek: :eek: :eek: .

BTW great solution on your bike Chuck - looks great and even safer than the OEM blinkers - well done.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
FWIW, I love the look of the F series with the cleaned up tail; BUT, I don't like the fact that folks aren't thinking it through about their safety, or the safety of others, when making modifications.
That is why I went the route I did. I didnt want to integrate them because its asking that tiny brake light to convey too much information.

So my solution was an array of LEDs in the vent BUT instead of putting them behind the vent I mounted them to the wall of the vent itself, meaning they were further back and visible from greater angles. I then augmented them with an LED strip in the side vents, resulting in 360 degrees of visibility.

Here you can actually see the array. Its a 5 LED bank with a reflector per LED and the LEDs are fanned out in a \|/ type pattern. It was originally intended as boat lighting:

·
Super Moderator
22,501 Posts
So, Ryan...take a picture of that bike in full daylight from the side...a 90° shot...with the signals on. I'd be interested if anyone approaching from the side could see them.

Rob, hand signals are great! (Except here in Boston traffic where someone might mistake my gesture!:jsm:):smoking:

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Didnt ride yesterday because I kind of pulled a muscle working out but after doing a couple of things in the garage I took a quick video in the garage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULsJ18Yll68

Honestly, its as visible from the side as the stock or more so thanks to the side markers. Otherwise you depend on the front. Which, to be honest, was the same case with the stock ones. They were lenses and unless you hit them just right were pretty damned dim in broad daylight.

FYI for anyone looking to replicate this hit up marine suppliers. They have waterproof LED arrays in various lengths. I went with small 4" arrays.

Now I just need to figure out how to make the brake light brighter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I do understand the concern for seeing turn signals but... Some people are being just a bit naive if you believe that the stock monstrosity (tail signal assembly) is any better. The fact is that the most drivers are oblivious while they are driving and don't pay attention. I try my best to pay attention for them and myself and since majority of slowing is done with engine power when I ride they will see the signal until just before initiating the turn. Truth is... you could have huge halogen bulbs and still be at risk. I ride in Southern California so I definitely don't rely on other drivers to make sound decisions. I do appreciate the feedback though.

·
Super Moderator
22,501 Posts
Glasstite, that is a valid observation.

Ryan, thanks for the video! That's a bit more visible than I expected. I really like the side lights.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Didnt you see it at the Bubba run? I am pretty sure I had them in then. The rear visibilty is better than some other options because instead of putting it behind the vent I actually put them IN the vent, meaning they are more rearward and directly visible from greater angles.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts