MV Agusta Forum banner

Did you experienced head / valve Failure on your F3 bike ?

• Yes, MY 2016 10th position of my VIN is a G

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, MY 2018 10th position of my VIN is a I

• No, MY 2018 10th position of my vin is a I

• Yes, MY 2019 10th position of my VIN is a J

• No, MY 2019 10th position of my vin is a J

• Yes, Other MV 3 Cilinder Models [TV, Brutale etc]

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As this is a bespoken subject i think it would be good to collect some statistics an visualize this in a poll. lets vote!

Its important to validate your modelyear by the 10th position of your vehicle identification number [VIN]

C=2012
D=2013
E=2014
F=2015
G=2016
H=2017
I=2018
J=2019

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
There are some people who have a 2013 or 2015 model year bike and recieve a 2017 engine and within 1500 miles the same issue happened again.
Has nothing to do with year, just pure on engine and completly at random aswell.

1 person changed his ECU and made the 675cc go to 15.750 rpm which is 750 or 250 more rpm than normal. He has had 0 issues.
While the other person's engine dies at 6000 rpm.

Ofcourse there are more people out there with an F3 that arent on this forum than people who are.
So maybe its a rare thing that accures. And forum is mostly bad things instead of great stories passing by.

I got a F3 675 2016 with black engine 2500km. No issues so far. *knocks on wood*
PS: I always warm up engine completly before I crank the throttle and have some serious fun. Before that I keep low rpm and soft throttle.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please vote BlackSaw, it's just a innocent poll to see if a specific range is affected:)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VIN code is important

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Ok so I checked my VIN number and my bike was build in either July or September 2016. I recieve my beauty in October 2016 which is a late 2016 model with a black engine. Everything before that is a silver engine.
And the 10th letter in my VIN number is an " H ". Which indicates it's a 2017 model.

No problems so far with my Valves. *knocks on wood again*

·
Registered
565 Posts
2014 F3 800 and no valve issues. I ride hard but not abusive. Have almost 17,000 miles on bike... got it with 3,000. Oil changed frequently and warmed up before ripping into it. I have my share of redline revs but just a moment... typically at the end of a wheelie.

I know everyone says it is valve guide related but more info is always helpful. I did a valve clearance check and all were in spec... on the narrow end of the range but in spec. Timing chain in spec.

I noticed that my temp gauge is happy when I use more throttle and ride fast. If I ride slow it heats up. Well, it is a sport bike so I use it that way and its happy that way.

·
Registered
372 Posts

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,853 Posts
Just an FYI....year of sale or delivery has nothing to do with year model of the bike. All manufacturers begin selling next year's models half way through the current year, and sometimes even sooner. Some 2018 bikes have been on sale since this summer.
The only thing that matters is the VIN.

Black Saw...you do not have a "late" 2016...you have a 2017 bike. Doesn't matter when it was built, that's what it is.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Just an FYI....year of sale or delivery has nothing to do with year model of the bike. All manufacturers begin selling next year's models half way through the current year, and sometimes even sooner. Some 2018 bikes have been on sale since this summer.
The only thing that matters is the VIN.

Black Saw...you do not have a "late" 2016...you have a 2017 bike. Doesn't matter when it was built, that's what it is.
Thanks for that information.
Im new to this motorcycle world :) First bike, first everything :grin2:

·
Registered
372 Posts
That's why I asked for email if you want full copy of service bulletin. It's 4 pages long and can't post it on here. Just took screenshot in case you needed any info for it to look up on MV site.

Las time I checked on MV website it was not posted but I do have a copy of it. Message me your email and I'll send it over.
Cant read 50% of this message

From what i can read I might get a service for this. Not sure since its a 2016 build, but 2017 frame branded bike.

·
Administrator
19,853 Posts
You can load PDF files onto a post. Try that.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
VIN Number questions.

Okay so I had a little conversation with Angelo-MV and we coudnt figure out if my bike is subjected to this head replacement. Its about the service bulletin for the cylinder head replacement F3 675 - 800 ModelYear 2017.
In the service bulletin there is a list at the bottom of the PDF file that shows all VIN numbers of 2017 F3 models???
If your VIN number is in this list your motorcycle is subjected to have this new head being fitted to your bike. You can call the dealer and they SHOULD replace the head.

My question is: Is my bike subjected to this replacement?
My VIN number on my frame shows that I got a 2017 model year bike. However in the PDF file my VIN Number isnt in the list.

Does anyone know how the VIN numbers work?
The numbers increase from ZCGF310BAHV006981 to ZCGF320BAHV008085
So is ZCGF320BAHV008085 the latest bike produced since releasing this service bulletin? OR is it a 2012-2013 model and the VIN numbers decrease the more are produced?

If my bike is a 2017 model why isnt it on the list? Arent all engines build the same way?
How come my bike doesnt need a updated head when its a 2017 model and other peoples do?

And if I ask my dealer to replace the head anyway within my warranty period, do I need to pay money for it since my VIN number isnt on the list?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Is your VIN higher than what's in PDF? Do you know what month bike was made? Maybe the issue was caused by outside supplier so part in question didn't make it to all of the 2017 bikes.
One person on forum had his engine replaced with a early/mid 2017 built engine and it blew a valve. My 2017 replacement engine was held up in early September to make sure it was fitted with latest head that is suggested in the PDF.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts