MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am aware that this issue has been discussed as part of the F4 section, but I guess I'm after a more decisive course of action as applies to the F3 models. Yup, obviously the rubbers on my F3 800 are shit. Riding is not much fun lately. Please don't tell me to replace them with another set of of original MV items, as they are obviously useless. I want to get this sorted properly (at least get the reasonable amount of time out of them). Mine were never great and at 6000km are utterly atrocious. My trusted Tech tells me that this is what can be expected again and again with the original items. By the way, right now I am also waiting on a new starter clutch as I have also suffered from THAT issue. SO, is anyone aware of any reliable quality aftermarket replacement rubbers (or the whole sprocket/carrier assembly) for the F3.....something like this maybe..

http://sprocketcenter.com/hyperflex-polyurethane-cush-drives-for-mv-agusta-750-5-piece-set.html

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi mate, AMAC is doing mine this week with the 12k service.
He found the nut on the drive side of the hub was only hand tight, from the factory. So been running
around for 12,000 klms with it loose, has worn a spacer a bit as well.
Will let you know how the service and new cush drive rubbers feel like.

:brutale:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi mate, AMAC is doing mine this week with the 12k service.
He found the nut on the drive side of the hub was only hand tight, from the factory. So been running
around for 12,000 klms with it loose, has worn a spacer a bit as well.
Will let you know how the service and new cush drive rubbers feel like.

:brutale:
Hey Pug,
I have probably seen you around. Not too many MV's up here. I had intended to let Laurie do my 12000 as well, but I just got nervous about warranty items, as I didn't think he had authorised service agent status. I obviously have to replace the rubbers, but as I said, they are not likely to provide any reasonable longevity. Official MV word is that the low interval replacement is 'normal' and a serviceable item, meaning no warranty, (The starter clutch, I believe is a warranty item, if not an actual recall). Hence my urgency in sourcing a potential aftermarket fix. Would be keen to know how you get on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just got it back with full service done, Laurie misses nothing with all fluids done and every control pivot point removed and lubed. Feels stronger with new plugs and the airbleed screws adjusted. No valves needed re-shimming. I got into traffic on the way home and once that temp gauge goes up it always becomes a bit of a bitch. Driveline feels great with new bushes, will see how a trip up the hill on Saturday goes if the rain pisses off. Hope you get yours back.
By the way , I have the silver Brutale with the red back wheel.

:mouthwate

·
Registered
375 Posts
Overtighting chain causes same issues>cush drive rubbers worn faster than normal, I got 38500km with stock ones , also several track days .There is a big play radial and sideways for the crown , but the bike rides very well. I use the shifter too , with sometimes a big bang changing gears !!! It's my second 525 chain kit, I grease it every day ride...

·
Registered
14,562 Posts
Fit?

will an F4 cush drive fit?

I have 50,000km on mine and its as tight as when new

:drummer:

:popcorn:

·
Registered
14,562 Posts
?

They're generation specific.
since the axles and hubs interchange (size wise) I thought it might be possible to use a 1st Gen cush drive on the 2nd Gen bikes

given the durability of the 2nd Gen cush....I'd be looking into it if I had a triple

I've never seen an MV triple but there are F4s and B4s all around the area.....nearest one is 200yds away

2 of the guys I shoot trap with on Sundays have MVs

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
since the axles and hubs interchange (size wise) I thought it might be possible to use a 1st Gen cush drive on the 2nd Gen bikes

given the durability of the 2nd Gen cush....I'd be looking into it if I had a triple

I've never seen an MV triple but there are F4s and B4s all around the area.....nearest one is 200yds away

2 of the guys I shoot trap with on Sundays have MVs

It should be possible Noel, not sure that this is the option the guys are looking for though. On the other hand, I wonder if any of the Japanese manufacturers make the same size in better quality maybe?

·
Registered
14,562 Posts
?

Donsy;

I bet it's a Jap one now.....just a shit design.....

I'd definately be looking at the 1st Gen ones if I had a 2nd Gen bike

the radiators have always been Toyos, alternators ND, starters ND or Mitsubishi

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update for F3 Cush Drive

So for those that are interested and have posted here, I have just put the phone down from talking to my Tech and the good news is that there has been an updated kit made available to fix this problem. I have always been careful with the chain tension/lubrication and am aware of the normal sideways play, so I sort of feel validated in my questioning of this problem. There you go. I can almost guarantee they won't be handing out info on this freely, so hunt it down with your authorised service agent.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Getting my TV ready for a ride tomorrow and noticed, when lubing the chain, that there's 2-3mm radial play in the cush-drive. I'm at just over 5,000 miles and used to them being tight on previous bikes. By the sounds of it a bit of play is relatively normal on MVs. Is 2-3mm anything to be worried about? Haven't noticed any lash whilst riding, with this in my head this might change tomorrow... :rolleyes:

Having read this and other threads on the subject I'll be checking torque of the sprocket side 55mm polygonal nut before departure tomorrow to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
590 Posts
For all they cost and the damage that a worn set can cause bumpkin, I was 11 quid for a set.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
For all they cost and the damage that a worn set can cause bumpkin, I was 11 quid for a set.
Thanks for the response. The bike's in warranty though I'm not so sure if it would be considered a service part or not and hence not covered. Given the price you mention, didn't think to check that yet so thanks, almost worth just ordering from Startwin and doing it myself given the apparent slow delivery of parts from the factory through my dealer.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I think you'd be lucky to get them done under warranty. I looked at getting them from startwin but their delivery prices are shocking for such a small item. I got mine from bennetts in the UK. Waited a while though.

·
Registered
571 Posts
My advise is to buy in bulk, when you can get them. That said Mv can't seem to get them quick enough. They are always on back order.They are relatively cheap. I can destroy a set in a weekend.And I have to plead my case for as many sets as I can get.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Thanks all. Dealer confirmed that MV have a warranty on cush-drive rubbers... covered for first 100 miles :laughing:

He has a set in stock and has put them aside for me, I'll be collecting during the week. Fitting looks extremely easy, just remove 55mm nut, washer and drive flange. Pop out old rubbers, insert new ones, reassemble and torque.

Looked into ordering several sets from Startwin and you're correct Jogort, all looks good until you add shipping which is insanely expensive. Will order a spare set from my dealer for workshop drawer.

Checked the tightness of the nut before Thursdays ride and sure enough just testing without setting torque wrench (wound out this one is at 40Nm) it turned before clicking. Tightened to 200Nm and, having cleaned off the old one, applied a new tally mark.

After re-torquing, must be a fine thread as that's <40Nm to 200Nm

New tally mark applied

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
My Cush drive rubbers let go after 10 000km , they were 100% tight and then next ride massive slop on the rear. Im going to keep at least 2 sets on hand from now on.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
My Cush drive rubbers let go after 10 000km , they were 100% tight and then next ride massive slop on the rear. Im going to keep at least 2 sets on hand from now on.
Yep, definitely noticed the slop when lubing chain as a 'clonk' in the drive train and would certainly have noticed this previously which I didn't so got bad enough to become noticeable over a relatively short distance. Having said that I covered about 180 miles riding as usual on Thursday and it didn't get significantly worse so at least there should be a degree of limp home capability.

Something to change, as a matter of course, before a tour though. Away for a 1000 odd miles next Easter and then a 2000+ mile tour in June. So, as a precaution, will change them again ahead of the latter.

·
Registered
14,562 Posts
?

just acquired a 2nd Gen swingarm assembly.......

the non failing 1st Gen cush drive assembly is a drop on replacement :drummer:

and its lighter than the 2nd Gen too

1 - 20 of 33 Posts