MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy a F3 that ive seen for sale which has sadly had a low side and danaged the clocks. What I need to know is it possible to plug a new set of standard clocks in and the bike will run as normal or do the clocks need to be coded or anything?
If so does anyone know how to get around this or know anyone in the uk who can sort them out?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
I don't think it'll be an issue mate, the key is the programmed item as far as I know, the rest is the ECU.
Where in the UK are you, there's a few UK based MV riders and dealers on the forum who might be able to help.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I take it you're looking at the on on eBay? I had my eye on that one, just out of curiosity. It may be worth doing an HPI check on it first to see whether it's CAT D or C.

I'm intrigued as to how it damaged the clocks on what looks like a low speed low side.

I can't imagine that the clocks would be coded? I assume that the ECU stores the data for the bike. If you're planning on having it maintained by a dealer near(ish) to you then I'm sure you could explain the problem to them and see if they could help. I'd have the bike checked over before it's back on the road.

My bike looks to be a plug. for the dash, from what I can see of it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Reason to code clocks to ECU would be an anti-tampering thing for the odometer. Usually odo is in the clocks, so would be easy to fake if you could just swap the clock set.

Definitely worth checking with a dealer to see if it's a viable way to go.

·
King of Bling
9,817 Posts
On later Ducati models, the dash and ECU are part and particle.. Not sure about the later MV models' ?...

Give Iain Rhodes a bell, as he used to run the workshop for Forza Italia and has been factory trained.. He might be able to help you out and know the answer to this question..

Rhodes & Track
Unit 9 Millbrook Close
St James Business Park
Northampton
NN5 5JF
01604 210900

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replys guys. Yea it's the one on eBay, I'm thinking about turning it into a pure track bike so rather than spend 8-10k one from a dealer I thought this could work out pretty good if the price is right.
What I did notice last night after looking at the pictures closely, is that the left foot peg appears to have snapped off but it looks like the bolt holes on the frame have snapped rather than the foot leg brackets. I think too have to be a view it before bidding job.

With the clock issue, I used to have a 749R Ducati which I damaged the clocks and had them sent away to some guy to get the data cloned as the clocks were matched to the ecu. It wasn't expensive but it's finding someone able to do it.
I'll give that chap a ring later and see what he sais. At least I'll be in a much better position and it's peace of mind if I do decide to view & possibly buy it.

I'm from south Wales, so we've got very few dealers around here unfortunately.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Having a quick look, you do seem right, it looks like the frame has broken, as opposed to the rearset. Could be a difficult/expensive fix. I would check out my bike, but I don't keep it where I live (as I'm moving house soon).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pic 1 shows where the frame seems to have snapped rather than the foot peg brackets.
What I don't get is why the guy would buy the bike to repair, spend money on repainting the fairings and buying replacement part and not finish the job off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got a bit more info on the bike.

I've had a friend in the trade do a hpi and it's a cat C write off.

The clocks are supposedly interchangeable but the donor clocks will retain their mileage etc so will need work to get them with the correct mileage.

Emailed the seller and he wants £6,000 for the bike in its current state. Supposedly had offers of £5,800 which were turned down.

I think this one is a walk away job unfortunately. If anyone's got a nice F3 for sale then please let me know :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
£6k is the price of Ducati 848, not an MV granted, but you'll probably be looking at £1k to have it fixed, minimum. More if the frame is toast, then it's whether you want/trust the welding holding on the foot pegs?

Sadly most F3's are still knocking around the £9k mark from a dealer. Factor in the CAT C part (and you don't know whether the forks etc are straight) and I think the money + repair cost is not worth it.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Got a bit more info on the bike.

I've had a friend in the trade do a hpi and it's a cat C write off.

The clocks are supposedly interchangeable but the donor clocks will retain their mileage etc so will need work to get them with the correct mileage.

Emailed the seller and he wants £6,000 for the bike in its current state. Supposedly had offers of £5,800 which were turned down.

I think this one is a walk away job unfortunately. If anyone's got a nice F3 for sale then please let me know :)
Considering upgrading to the F3 800 and could be interested in a private sale rather than part-ex

Exactly two years old, 11000 miles full R&G protection and tail tidy.
Major service has been arranged for next week
Will refit the original exhaust and retain the Zero One
If interested give me a call 07802 403491 (Hertfordshire)

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
I can second this. I've seen said bike and it does look great. We'll be down at the Ace Cafe (weather permitting) on the 10th if you're about and fancy a chat.

·
Registered
99 Posts
ive just bought 2012 675 with 1900 miles for £6600 immaculate condition private sale,so there are cheaper ones to be had mine is only one ive seen private mind

1 - 18 of 18 Posts