MV Agusta Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Wow I suppose that's not terrible in the grand scheme of things. I guess you could push it more if you really wanted to but you seem satisfied with that so I hope that will get you back on the road and tearing up those canyons again!

If it were me I would ask about what sort of warranty does this whole procedure have on it if something were to go wrong again? If they give you some sort of limit i e mileage or time frame I try to get in as much riding as I could to make sure that it fixed the problem and there's no issues.

Sent from my Armor 9 using Tapatalk

·
Old Wing Nut
23,269 Posts
That's a better result, although I think any damaged clutch parts as a result of the basket failure should also be covered.
Sounds like the dealer is just replacing everything related (springs as example) even if not damaged.
Are the springs out of spec? Unless the parts are physically damaged or worn to or beyond service limits there should be no reason to replace them. You might question the replacement of undamaged parts.
Most manufacturers cover the cost of oil and filter on a warranty claim. I bet MV does as well..

Reactions: bioluminescence

·
Registered
Mv Agusta Dragster RR 2019
157 Posts
Finally have a bit of good news. As said earlier, MV already committed to goodwill clutch kit parts that were supposed to be installed while I was under warranty.
after which, I wrote MV USA a final plea, methodically making the case that all steps were taken by the rider to ensure the bike's greatest chance of success before the warranty expired.
I provided a time line of service documents to back my claim.
I showed gratitude for what MV had already offered, and did not resort to anger or legal threats.
I also added some choice customer loyalty photos to show how long I've been an MVangalist...

It must've had some effect. MV USA has to send this kinda stuff to the factory, who then corresponds with the dealers.
And today, I received an updated quote from Munroe, showing all labor as covered under warranty. (labor was originally slated to be around $1700 minimum)

View attachment 488154

Was beyond happy to see this.
It still quotes me owing for some parts, which is odd, but it is an amount I can live with at this point...
If this is acknowledged as a warranty claim, one would think the factory could be billed for parts too, in the end.
I guess I don't know enough about the inner workings between the factory/dealers. I also would've imagined the new clutch kit included new discs... 🤷‍♂️
If many more parts are added to the list as they work through the job (oil pump, oil radiator, etc...) I might press for that support as well. But as is, this is a result I'm thrilled to have received. 🎇🎆🎇
They are ripping you off on the oil....
It takes only 2.5 liter if they don't take the radiator apart. They are charging you for double....Also make sure it's a 5w40....You may ask them yo bring your own oil as I did when I went there before....Buy your 4lt container of MOTUL 7100 5w40 (45$ on Amazon) and bring home the 1.5 lt leftover.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
updates finally:

Clutch parts arrived after nearly 2 months, & soon as they went to take next steps, they found it also needing clutch axle & clutch pin. Can’t say I was surprised, and tend to think once they get those parts in, they’ll discover more… each time asking me if I still want to proceed.

They did send the gruesome photos of the cleanup to help decide.
Looks aweful. I think I do see a knick in the casing there.
But what sucks the most is deciding if I should pay to repair a bike that may already be dead.
I don’t know how bad that really looks, or how many engines were successly put back together after something like this. Spent a lot of time reading other's accounts of this horror story on these forums to try and better navigate what to do...

I’m sure they’d let me know if they were certain it was a lost cause.

I guess even with all that gnarly metal in the bottom of the pan, those inner surfaces still look pretty good…

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake
Automotive tire Gear Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Rim
Motor vehicle Light Gas Automotive wheel system Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
With that much garbage everywhere they need to take the engine out disassemble it and clean it and inspect it thoroughly. Not just slap some new parts back in. You don't seem overly confident with the work that they are doing so that's one way to ensure that everything is perfect on reassembly. Maybe they will charge an additional two or $300 to do that but I think it's well worth it.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
That way you won't have this "he said she said" BS. Their mechanic takes it apart, they inspect it, they put it back together, they say it's okay if anything happens at that point it is 1,000% on them. No guessing.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Appreciate the suggestion, but taking the engine out to disassemble/reassemble for $300?!
Please send over your mechanic's details...

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
That's for cleaning the motor I'm not saying disassemble every piece of the engine. They shouldn't be charging you anything as we all agree on this but they are....and going a bit further is warranted In this case. It's just a suggestion and if you want peace of mind that is what I would do. Others will have their own ideas.

·
Old Wing Nut
23,269 Posts
I suggest hiring a lawyer who deals in breach of warranty and have him/her contact Monroe Motors owner and MV Agusta USA director to explain why you are requesting a buy-back of the bike

Reactions: falcn

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Oh, MV has already agreed to pay for all the labor to clean out the motor of debris. But that's no guarantee that the damage hasn't already been done.

I'm not sure who here has used lawyers for bike work, but I doubt I could afford one.
Also, I tend to think the party at fault is the MV USA/factory, for not properly messaging to all authorized workshops that these parts were defective and potentially catastrophic.

But I'll start exploring my options now in case the motor can't be saved.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
UPDATE TIME:
Munroe got it fixed!
MV payed for a lot of labor/parts.
But I am still on the hook for about $1000.
Still gonna survey for anything I can contest, but this is something I can LIVE with. Versus a blown motor.
This has been from 7/21-1/22. SIX months of unknown recovery...
Amped! A lot of these 3cyl clutch stories did not turn out as well.
You better believe I'll create a triumphant recovery video,
Time being, here's the 2017 video when I bought it, and rode it back to the bay area.

·
Premium Member
2,878 Posts
Great news! Happy New Year! That video tho!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
No one can say your not an MV enthusiast! That was a great video! It shows how much we each love our MV. I can't make videos like that, but I feel the same about my bike. When do you get to take your first ride!? (again)

Reactions: EBBO

·
Registered
234 Posts
So happy for the positive result! Great video:)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 · (Edited)
One last question, and then I'm ready to wrap up this thread:
for some reason Munroe didn't order a new dip stick the 2 times they ordered parts (which both took approx. 3 months....)
This Cali weather is already very ride-able, and after everything the motor went through, I'd like to regularly check my oil well before MV & this supply chain can get its act together.
What I'm looking for is measurements from the top of the cap, to the full mark, and the minimum mark.
I should be able to fashion something using my nephews tinker toys.

I guess, a broken dip stick is a better scenario than a broken oil window....

Font Art Wood Balance Circle

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
79mm from where the cap rests on the metal to the full line.

Reactions: bioluminescence
41 - 58 of 58 Posts