MV Agusta Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yeah, I replied to Munroe's last email showing them exactly how my vin is part of the recall, and how my clutch doesn't look like anything like the updated design. It looks like the recalled one. And they don't seem to care. So I emailed [email protected] and they have been responsive, and are looking into it after providing my proof of the title...

What's sad is Munroe saw my bike several times since 2018 (while the bike was still under warranty...), when this recall was issued, and this all should have been avoided. It's doubtful, but I think Munroe should bare the cost in a fair world, no matter how extensive.

But what's keeping me up at night is the thought of scrap metal making its way into the engine cavity. I just can't imagine engine walls surviving that for even a minute.
I couldn't find any broken clutch basket posts with any clear conclusions.

If anyone has been through this with the engine surviving?
I won't know for about a week what state mine is in...

@bioluminescence ... this was a recall..... Munroe Motors should fix it with no qualms. Call MVUSA if you have an issue.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
It's so aggravating when "dealers" of all places act like this. If anything the dealer is the representative FOR the customer. They won't even have to pay anything and they will get reimbursed for their shop time. There is literally no reason why they should be treating you this way. You can almost always expect the manufacturer to play games but the dealer is the one to push the customers concerns in a way that the manufacturer understands. It's not even happening to me and I'm irritated for you haha sigh....

Sent from my Armor 9 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
24,725 Posts
I don't believe any metal would be pushed up through the oil passages into the cylinders or lubricated surfaces because of the suction screen and oil filter in that path.

·
Registered
2015 Rivale 800
17 Posts
It’s a mess but we can say it’s a pretty common problem.

If the oil pump it’s still intact (no blown pipes) and the oil filter it’s not torn apart will be quite hard to have damaged the engine.

If the dealer it’s official and already saw your bike ask them why they didn’t provided the technical update of the clutch as its a well known issue.

If was my bike I would insist to have the new clutch free of charges, they usually receive the part object of recall fo free, and invoice to MV the installation, but usually (at least here) they try to split the installation costs with the customer.

I would also insist to careful check the oil pump while cleaning the oil pan and the clutch bay. Get a new level stick, remove also the oil in the radiator, close all and fill at level with new oil, turn it on and warm up, flush all the oil in the pan and change another oil filter.

For sure they already know what to do, but I recommend after putting the new oil to make the engine rev 3/4 times without the fuse of the fuel pump after emptying all the oil in the pump and radiator.

O rings of the oil radiator need to be replaced at every disassembly and greased up or they will leak forever. It’s annoying and is the reason why most avoid to empty also the radiator.

After the second oil flush try to filter the removed oil and run a magnet trough it searching to debris.

Let us know and Good luck!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks all. I'll admit my engine knowledge was limited, but out of all this I've learned how a clutch actually works, (an elaborate bicycle brake)
and how the flow of engine oil occurs.
(That's also because i'm in the process of rebuilding a Chevrolet 350, but I'll save that for lee's kitchen sink...)

So you the debris have a loooong way to travel before doing real harm. That's reassuring.
And I think ultimately, the cost of parts will have to be covered.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I suppose it's sort of a moot point to tell you what to take apart and clean (since the dealer is presumably going to get their head out of their @$$ and do the repair work they should have done to begin with) but I agree with @Mr. P983 the more you take apart and clean and flush the more peace of mind you will have. Maybe communicate your wishes to the dealer if and when they agree to do it. There's no guarantee they will do it but at least you will have asked them to be as meticulous as possible.

If MV agrees and the dealer does the recall work you will have a warranty on the repair work. As an example I had my rear shock preload adjuster bracket crack in half due to the vibration. It was a recall and the recalled part failed! So they ordered me another one and installed it. It was sort of a fight but at the end of the day if MV comes out and says that there is a problem and they propose a fix, they will have to replace it for you at no cost every time!!!

·
Registered
2015 Rivale 800
17 Posts
I suppose it's sort of a moot point to tell you what to take apart and clean (since the dealer is presumably going to get their head out of their @$$ and do the repair work they should have done to begin with) but I agree with @Mr. P983 the more you take apart and clean and flush the more peace of mind you will have. Maybe communicate your wishes to the dealer if and when they agree to do it. There's no guarantee they will do it but at least you will have asked them to be as meticulous as possible.

If MV agrees and the dealer does the recall work you will have a warranty on the repair work. As an example I had my rear shock preload adjuster bracket crack in half due to the vibration. It was a recall and the recalled part failed! So they ordered me another one and installed it. It was sort of a fight but at the end of the day if MV comes out and says that there is a problem and they propose a fix, they will have to replace it for you at no cost every time!!!

Yes, you know you will start thinking about that little piece of clutch running around the engine every time you reach the 10.000rpm

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Old Wing Nut
23,269 Posts
I am very disappointed with Munroe Motors attitude and response (from what you have stated).
Although this is not listed as a "Safety Recall", which in my professional opinion it should have been...... just like on any other brand or type of vehicle, it is the dealers responsibility to perform any service campaign such as this one is, and the manufacturer should cover collateral damage if a failure occurs before the campaign is completed.

MV Agusta should be very unhappy with this situation, as they could be liable should the clutch failure have caused a crash and injury.
This is serious stuff.... I suggest at this point your should be speaking only with MV Agusta and looking for a different dealer to make the repairs.... and your lawyer should be telling Munroe Motors about their liabilities and potential suit for damages, loss of use and mental stress.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Well. It's at Munroe. has been for 2 weeks... Finally called them for an update, to which they replied: your clutch is broken.
No shit?!
I asked them again to send all records and engine data to MV, and they finally did.
Then MV emailed me back to say the factory will review the case and let me know.
Even though my bike is no longer under warranty, it was under warranty in 2019 while at the munroe shop, and while this service bulletin was active.
Meaning, I could have been spared from all this BS, and having a warranty is worthless since it didn't take care of this when it should have.
Furious. The riding weather is awesome right now.
Will report back when I hear the factory's determination.

·
Old Wing Nut
23,269 Posts
Have you advised Munroe Motors owner about his breach of warranty and potential for liability?
Let him know you are discussing this with a lawyer since they have failed in their responsibility as a dealer to perform needed safety related MV service bulletins in accordance with franchise laws and requirements.
They could be in a lot of shit as a dealer.

Reactions: bioluminescence

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Sorry to hear this....these things generally take time and I'm afraid if you don't get an answer soon you won't get an answer at all for another month. Since everyone goes on vacation in Italy for August. There shouldn't be too much confusion as it should have been addressed already when it was "in" warranty. But I've found that more often then not when it's not your own money, the process goes allot slower.

Reactions: bioluminescence

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
How did it work out ?
thanks for asking. I just received word from Munroe Motors that the factory will provide good will parts for the clutch.
im grateful for that, but it doesn’t cover the 2 thousand dollars minimum in other repairs caused by this.

so I’m working on writing one final plea to the factory, with proof of a service record while my bike was stilll under warranty, and while this service bulletin was active, with the question, why wasn’t the warranty job done when was called for?

I dont want to write an angry letter to them. I wanna show that any help is appreciated, but that it doesn’t go far Enough, and a warranty level service should be owed on the bike.

·
Registered
234 Posts
this is not listed as a "Safety Recall", which in my professional opinion it should have been......
Agree 1000%.
I just contacted MVUSA because the 2017 B3 I just bought falls within the Vin sequence in SB214. Just wanting to know if the work had been done. I told them I wasn't looking for a warranty or free parts, I just want to know if its's safe... or not😱 If I should stop riding it immediately for fear of the rear tire locking and high siding me to the MOON🥴

After sending proof my vin applies, a copy of SB214, and NINE e-mails of them insisting "NOT a safety recall" over and over... and over... and a copy of my license(?) and registration(?) and insurance(?) they finally send a short confirmation:
"We confirm that there are no official recall campaigns carried out or to be carried out on your motorcycle.
However, there is a technical update concerning the clutch basket.

We would like to inform you that this update is essential for the correct functioning of the motorcycle,"

Not impressed👎

·
Old Wing Nut
23,269 Posts
I dont want to write an angry letter to them. I wanna show that any help is appreciated, but that it doesn’t go far Enough, and a warranty level service should be owed on the bike.
Send lawyers !!!!

"We confirm that there are no official recall campaigns carried out or to be carried out on your motorcycle.
However, there is a technical update concerning the clutch basket.
We would like to inform you that this update is essential for the correct functioning of the motorcycle,"
Not impressed👎
So did they say the update would be covered under warranty?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sorry, yes, they did. Considering the struggle for simple information from them, I am very surprised they are willing to cover a 4 year old used motorcycle! Thats pretty cool.
Which solidifies that they KNOW it should be a 'safety recall', but we know them I-talians and their 'reputations', they wouldn't want a NHTSA recall on record.

But now I'm torn. I have been let down by dealer repairs so often😠 From Chevy to Audi, from Harley to Kawasaki that no one else has touched a motorcycle of mine for literally decades. These things can kill you, so it's that important to do it right. Every time.
On one hand, I have quite a few friends that do business with the local dealer and haven't complained, it's a simple job, and I would like it to be reported correctly to MV that it was performed...
On the other hand, I know I'll have it apart in my hand to check parts and torques anyway... so why not just do it myself, once? Ya, I have trust issues🙄

Typing it out makes sense now. I'll sacrifice the 3 weeks and unknowns to have the dealer do it ,and just check their work before I ride it.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
But now I'm torn. I have been let down by dealer repairs so often From Chevy to Audi, from Harley to Kawasaki that no one else has touched a motorcycle of mine for literally decades. These things can kill you, so it's that important to do it right. Every time.
On one hand, I have quite a few friends that do business with the local dealer and haven't complained, it's a simple job, and I would like it to be reported correctly to MV that it was performed...
On the other hand, I know I'll have it apart in my hand to check parts and torques anyway... so why not just do it myself, once? Ya, I have trust issues
I agree. That's why I do my own work. I got screwed over by too many other people. With the clutch though... Not too much can go wrong that would cause a wreck. Maybe ask for the parts to install and see what's up. They probably won't. But it's worth a try.

·
Premium Member
2,878 Posts
Let them do it and check the job with photos during inspection. Take a video for sound. Then rest easy if all checks out.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Ya thanks guys, thats the direction I'll go (cautiously) and report back what happens. The service guy is nice but also super busy 🥴.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Finally have a bit of good news. As said earlier, MV already committed to goodwill clutch kit parts that were supposed to be installed while I was under warranty.
after which, I wrote MV USA a final plea, methodically making the case that all steps were taken by the rider to ensure the bike's greatest chance of success before the warranty expired.
I provided a time line of service documents to back my claim.
I showed gratitude for what MV had already offered, and did not resort to anger or legal threats.
I also added some choice customer loyalty photos to show how long I've been an MVangalist...

It must've had some effect. MV USA has to send this kinda stuff to the factory, who then corresponds with the dealers.
And today, I received an updated quote from Munroe, showing all labor as covered under warranty. (labor was originally slated to be around $1700 minimum)

Was beyond happy to see this.
It still quotes me owing for some parts, which is odd, but it is an amount I can live with at this point...
If this is acknowledged as a warranty claim, one would think the factory could be billed for parts too, in the end.
I guess I don't know enough about the inner workings between the factory/dealers. I also would've imagined the new clutch kit included new discs... 🤷‍♂️
If many more parts are added to the list as they work through the job (oil pump, oil radiator, etc...) I might press for that support as well. But as is, this is a result I'm thrilled to have received. 🎇🎆🎇

Attachments

21 - 40 of 58 Posts