MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The basics: '16 F3 800 ABS with 12k miles, fresh oil & coolant, valves serviced on schedule.

Was riding home revving through 1st, when I heard a clanky noise. Pulled over. Starter & throttle response seemed fine, sounded like all 3 cylinders were firing, but oil light came on and clutch stopped working. Immediately turned off and pushed a long 3 miles home.
Discovered dip stick was missing its stick. and clutch cover has a long crack.
Yikes.
I fear this could be really bad. But who knows?
Could a broken dip stick wreck this kind of havoc?!
I'll ping my mechanic tomorrow morning.

Damn I miss oil level windows, like that of the F4...
but oil light

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Dang that sucks man. I'd pull your entire lower pan off and do a thorough inspection. Time for a lexan clear glass clutch cover and a Ergal dip stick upgrade!

Sent from my Armor 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Is this another version of a broken clutch basket finger flying around and doing damage? There are threads about this happening to others.

·
Super Moderator
25,546 Posts
Because of where that dipstick lives, yes, it probably is the cause as it would drop down into the clutch and get spun around the casing causing a crack.
The pieces could then plug an oil feed hole or foul the oil pump in the sump.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I don't think your dip stick is what caused the damage. The dip stick is lower than the clutch and the area where the clutch is located has only a couple of small holes for oil to drain back into the pan. I think there is something wrong with the clutch and a piece of the basket? came loose and then the smacked the dip stick when it got flung around by the crankshaft.

Regardless you'll have to pull the pan and the clutch cover.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Your feedback is very much inline with what my mechanic said. I pulled my clutch cover off tonight, and while I'm no expert, a lot of the basket seems missing, and may have wound up in the crank area.

So this isn't a catastrophic mess? My mechanic seems optimistic, but I'm not sure I should be ordering parts just yet...

I don't think your dip stick is what caused the damage. The dip stick is lower than the clutch and the area where the clutch is located has only a couple of small holes for oil to drain back into the pan. I think there is something wrong with the clutch and a piece of the basket? came loose and then the smacked the dip stick when it got flung around by the crankshaft.

Regardless you'll have to pull the pan and the clutch cover.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Ouch that is major. That is a major cleanup job to find all the fragments strewn through the bottom half.
Do a search through the forum. I am quite sure there were some warranty related issues with clutch baskets breaking.

·
Registered
165 Posts
There was definitely a warranty recall in UK for clutch baskets replacement on some euro 3 - 3 cyls. I had mine replaced FOC about 18 months ago 2015 Stradale.
Get on to MV quickly with your VIN number - I did read of a 5 year cut off but don't quote me.
Graham

Reactions: Mr. P983

·
Old Wing Nut
24,507 Posts
That basket was a global recall ..... contact MVUSA.

Reactions: falcn and Mr. P983

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I contacted Munre motors and they checked my VIN and said I had no recalls due. Also said they never heard of the clutch basket recall.
Glad to know it might be potentially straight forward repair. Just hope the parts won’t be hard to get. Will call MV USA about good will warranty parts tomorrow.

also I thought I already knew the entire list of known 3cyl issues:
Sprag
Battery
Useless mirrors
Stuck exhaust servo thingy
Dropping valves (not so much with the black engine)

Woulda acted immediately if I knew my clutch could explode. Would be nice to have a bulletin on the forum where everyone sees this list. Maybe just on the top graphic even. Because I never looked for this or saw it, and I frequent this forum weekly.

thanks to this forum, when I owned an F4, I made sure to the rear hub and bearing were serviced. Can’t believe I missed this whole clutch fiasco, I woulda had it replaced during Last years valve service.

·
Old Wing Nut
24,507 Posts
Digging deeper, and found the service bulletin. My 2016 VIN doesn't match the recalled F3's.
I'm v006509, they recalled v006738...
At least this'll be a proof of problem when I call them up.
That is the ending serial number...yours is before that ENDING number, and therefore is covered. I am shocked that Munroe Motors would say that to you. Call them back and talk to the owner or general manager. Whoever you talked to needs a whipping.

Reactions: bioluminescence

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
AHHH! My dumb ass assumed the numbers need to match exactly. That wouldn't make sense.
Now I get it, yeah I'm 100% covered by this recall.

I just emailed Munroe Motors the pdf of the bulletin, and photos of my clutch aftermath. Will see what they say now!

That is the ending serial number...yours is before that ENDING number, and therefore is covered. I am shocked that Munroe Motors would say that to you. Call them back and talk to the owner or general manager. Whoever you talked to needs a whipping.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Clutch basket apart, yup.

pull the pan and clean the bits out, install newer clutch basket, you may be ok.

I’d probably been riding mine with a half dozen pieces of the basket floating around for weeks or months.

I’m willing to bet that, if I’d known about the issue (I just didn’t), it would’ve spared the first engine.

MV covered its replacement.

And the engine after that.

But the fourth one?

The fourth one stayed (there’s a monty python quote in there somewhere)!

Good luck getting it sorted!

King

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Damn, you had quite a journey with this.

Were any of those replacements made out of warranty?
I ask because I'm no longer under warranty, but believe that if MV acknowledged this part will fail, they need to accept responsibility for all other parts it caused damage to as well.
I don't think they'll want to, but I'll fight for that if needed.

I haven't taken the oil pan off yet because I'm too nervous to see how it's gonna look.
Would rather have my mechanic look at it with trained eyes in a week.

Clutch basket apart, yup.

pull the pan and clean the bits out, install newer clutch basket, you may be ok.

I’d probably been riding mine with a half dozen pieces of the basket floating around for weeks or months.

I’m willing to bet that, if I’d known about the issue (I just didn’t), it would’ve spared the first engine.

MV covered its replacement.

But the fourth one?

The fourth one stayed (there’s a monty python quote in there somewhere)!

Good luck getting it sorted!

King

·
Registered
44 Posts
Damn, you had quite a journey with this.

Were any of those replacements made out of warranty?
I ask because I'm no longer under warranty, but believe that if MV acknowledged this part will fail, they need to accept responsibility for all other parts it caused damage to as well.
I don't think they'll want to, but I'll fight for that if needed.

I haven't taken the oil pan off yet because I'm too nervous to see how it's gonna look.
Would rather have my mechanic look at it with trained eyes in a week.
All exchanges were done under warranty-mine was a 2014 model, but I bought it in 2018 (I think) from a dealer, so it was under warranty both from a “date of title” perspective, as well as the acknowledged clutch basket issue.

the firs replacement dropped a valve on cyl 1 within 350 miles, the next one did pretty much the same within 159 miles, this third replacement has been as it should be, I believe I’ve already put a couple thousand on it since then.

Best of luck!
King Williams

Reactions: Mr. P983
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.