MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I am considering to purchase a F3 800 for track use.
So far I only raced Honda 600's for over a decade :)

Really like the way this MV is built, the looks, the size, technical details, 3 cylinder setup ... actually everything!

My only concern is the gearbox.
I have read several issues with shifting (mainly from 3rd to 4th gear I believe).
I assume this will result in similar shifting like in this video which confirms this issue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJsTc9PRme8

To me this would be something you do not want in case of track use.
That's why I want to know more about it.

My questions to anyone who knows:
- is it only the first 800 bikes that have this issue?
- is this issue resolved?
- from a certain built date on?
- what is the solution (shift drum, forks, gears?)

Any information is appreciated!

PS. I know the MV is not a Japanese bike and I am not afraid of a problem every now and then (hopefully not but ..) but this would be something I'd like to know before I buy one

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Just watched that video. That's the qs if you gas it then roll off a bit to keep a constant throttle and try lift up a gear it does that

There is quite a large throw i find in the top gears with the quick shifter

Watch my snetterton video below, skip all the boring bit until the long down the back. I hit 6th every time but the last two gears i think are doing what you are talking about

·
Registered
396 Posts
Donsy do you mean just to swap the QS or also get the whole other stuff around (like the PC V Box etc). There are some quickshifters that work with the stock ECU, is that enough? Like the Cordona and some require their own boxes like the PC Quickshifter

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Can you just swap the standard QS with the PC QS ?
Unless PC has made some mayor upgrades to their unit I sure wouldn't.

Donsy do you mean just to swap the QS or also get the whole other stuff around (like the PC V Box etc). There are some quickshifters that work with the stock ECU, is that enough? Like the Cordona and some require their own boxes like the PC Quickshifter
Just the QS.

FWIW, I've not heard of any complaints on the forum about the 800 gearbox.

·
Registered
396 Posts
guess i'll be the first then... had major issues with shifting from 3rd to 4th on my last track day in september but couln't go to the dealer since. either I didn't use the 3rd gear at all and was able to shift to 4th or I could use the 3rd and it was pretty much impossible to get to 4th gear

long story short: one of the valves went crazy got stuck in the combustion chamber, got a whole new engine from MV, got issues shifting from 3rd to 4th...

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Bugger

guess i'll be the first then... had major issues with shifting from 3rd to 4th on my last track day in september but couln't go to the dealer since. either I didn't use the 3rd gear at all and was able to shift to 4th or I could use the 3rd and it was pretty much impossible to get to 4th gear

long story short: one of the valves went crazy got stuck in the combustion chamber, got a whole new engine from MV, got issues shifting from 3rd to 4th...
Well I'm glad you got a new motor.
I assume the bike somehow over-revved when it ended up between gears? Sounds like a software glitch, no rev-limiter when a specific gear is not selected maybe ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
@ dean100yz
Watched your vids; nice!
Brands Hatch is on still on my list; been to Cadwell Park and that was awesome
To me shifting on your bike is pretty OK compared to video I posted.

@ Nephalem
That's something I didn't want to hear of course. Good to hear that you got a new engine.
The F3 800 I currently have in mind is a 2013 model with 5500km
I think I don't have any warranty from MV anymore.

In the meantime I read on German forum that the F3 (800?) has it's longest shiftdrum travel between 3 and 4 where most other bikes have that between 1 and 2.
In combination with a quickshifter with only one killtime setting that might be a reason for improper shifting from 3 to 4.

I have had several quicksifters in the past; also Cordona.
Best experience so far with the HM (strain gauge type).

If I look at the stock MV F3 QS I am pretty sure it is a DynoJet/PC with MV sticker on it.
So changing to from a stock to a DynoJet/PC quickshifter won't change a lot I think.

Ideally I would like a quickshifter with the possibility to change sensitivity and killtime per gear but that comes at a cost...

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
@ dean100yz
Watched your vids; nice!
Brands Hatch is on still on my list; been to Cadwell Park and that was awesome
To me shifting on your bike is pretty OK compared to video I posted.
Cheers - as said earlier not really an area of concern. I've found the gearbox real good

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I have sold dozens of F3 800. A few of my customers use them exclusively for track riding. None have complained about missing shifts. On my personal F3 675, Rivale 800, or my wife's B3 675 I have never missed a shift nor have I on any F3 800 which I have ridden a lot, on the street or the track, and the quickshifter works as good as any out there.
What I have found out, however, is that many riders have "lazy foot" syndrome - on MV Agustas, Ducatis, or any other brand bike. Admittedly, the throw on the shift lever is a little bit longer than the average sport bike, so it does require a real positive movement. For most customers who complain about missing shifts, usually a simple adjustment to the shift lever is the fix. This is even more prevalent when customers installed their own rear-sets.
On most bikes of any brand, I have to adjust the shift lever down to assure I get clean, positive movement on the lever.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I have sold dozens of F3 800. A few of my customers use them exclusively for track riding. None have complained about missing shifts. On my personal F3 675, Rivale 800, or my wife's B3 675 I have never missed a shift nor have I on any F3 800 which I have ridden a lot, on the street or the track, and the quickshifter works as good as any out there.
What I have found out, however, is that many riders have "lazy foot" syndrome - on MV Agustas, Ducatis, or any other brand bike. Admittedly, the throw on the shift lever is a little bit longer than the average sport bike, so it does require a real positive movement. For most customers who complain about missing shifts, usually a simple adjustment to the shift lever is the fix. This is even more prevalent when customers installed their own rear-sets.
On most bikes of any brand, I have to adjust the shift lever down to assure I get clean, positive movement on the lever.
That last bit is exactly what i had to do on mine as i like a tight fit when pushing up through the box

Funny i always had to do the same on my mx bikes but other way round to get my foot under due to the massive boots

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Thanks Balz.
Ever have any success or request to swap to an alternative strain gauge on your bikes ?

A lot of people think that a quickshifter "changes" gear for you, not realising that the module only services as an electrical switch and that you still physically have to move the mechanical parts by foot. I think one guy called it an "electrical shifter" or "auto shifter" after test riding a Turismo, and we know that is something completely different.

·
Registered
396 Posts
okay here's the thing (due rain, snow and ice over the last couple of weeks I couldn't test it again):

I have Rizoma RRC rearsets and since they are fully adjustable I tested various settings of course ;)
shifting all gears, including 3rd to 4th, at low (lets say up to 10k) RPM is smooth as **** but when I was on the track in Hockenheim and I could either shift early or not at all to 4th, not even using the clutch! I'll try again once the weather is better again.

No I don't have a "lazy-foot-syndrome" :p

Even brought it to the dealer to let him try afterwards as I couldn't reproduce it on public roads but it didn't happen when he was riding... so I'll give it another try on the famous German Autobahn :D

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
I'm not familiar with Rizoma on the F3, but on my bike they flexed quite a bit, could this be a problem ? Maybe relocate the q/s module to the other end of the linkage rod if possible. It could be a vibration issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had this same gear-switch problem with my F3 800 (MY2015). I'm shifting with a racing footpeg from Rizoma and my 1st gear is on top. So shifting up is more ergonomical for me. I have the same probs when shifting from 3th to 4th. Often the gear didn't changed and hung between both gears. That sucks a lot during a race!

To prevent the quickshifter as the issue, I disabled it and shift like in my past Ducati-days with quick throttle closings and put the gear in without clutch (similar to the function of an easy qs-system). But the problems still exist. I could hit the shiftlever and push it but nothing happend. It's like you push against nothing. You can push the lever but there's nothing. Hope you understand. Only way to shift was to pull the clutch-lever and release the tourque from the gearbox. So my conclution: The QS is not the source for the gear changing problem.

Over the last month my MV dealer was in contact with the technical support of MV Agusta. Last week he told me, that they will change a return spring in the gearbox as a sulotion for that problem. MV Agusta found out, that this spring was too soft and not able to bring back the shifting to the right position. I think this spring operates with the switching forks.

Anyway...I hope that solves my shifting-issues.
But it's often not the QS itself, which is the problem. Try to disable the QS and when you have still some probs to gear up, contact your dealer. I know some guys, that had similar problems. Don't know why. Maybe MV Agusta didn't change the gearbox in comparison to the F3 675, which has less tourque on the rod, than the F3 800. But hopefully it will end up with a new return-spring in 2016...

:f4:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for this information roman
This explanation sounds pretty plausible to me.
If you could keep us updated about this I would really appreciate it!

Two weeks ago I bought an F3 800 (in Germany).
Due to time and weather I still did not have a chance to ride it.

I only have German papers so actually it is not allowed to ride it on the streets here in The Netherlands.
Now preparing it for the track and hopefully in March I can test it on track (with nice weather).

Very curious if mine has this issue ...

PS: my shift lever will be in the right position and I do not have the the "lazy foot" syndrome.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the same problem as you recently on my F3 800 MY2013, immpossible to pass the 4 fully loaded, below 10000 rpm no problem, has your problem been solved by changing the return spring?
I called my dealer and he tells me that there is nothing to do, that it is the design of the box that is like that, I use my F3 only for track days, at the beginning the fourth was harder to pass than the other report but it was in full charge, since this year it passes more fully loaded, I may be looking at the box this winter because why there is this problem on some models of F3 800 and no others?

·
Registered
396 Posts
this is not an issue of the gearbox. Had the same issue and it was solved by updating the software to a more recent version, so make sure you have the latest map installed. If that doesn't solve it installing the ECUStudio version with the race "settings" for the quickshifter (which also allows you to use the blipper if you switch to the EAS 2.0 sensor and do a little modification of your wiring loom) will allow to shift at any RPM

1 - 20 of 47 Posts