MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday i was on my bike went to the movies, came out go to turn my bike on press the button, bike is like choking to start. It just like keeps on spinning but the engine won't catch on and turn on or something like that. Then the dash is going on and off then all the info resets to 0 and time to 12:00. And bike doesn't turn on. Tried it again held it for a bit then it said something phase sensor. Then i let it sit for about 5 mins tried it again and it lagged for a bit but turned on. Any ideas on what this could be? New battery, new starter? Idk .... help please.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Dash going off when trying to start sounds like a weak battery, it'd be the first place I look. Check charged and running voltages.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Lumel187,
I suspect you have a Sprag clutch issue, do a search on here and get down to your dealer and lodge a warranty claim,common issue and the dealership should be aware and proactive.

A new battery helps but will not make a bad Sprag better.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey jimbo thanks but my bike ran out of warranty april 3rd would they still cover it? Is it a common problem considered a recall or so ?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lumel187,
I suspect you have a Sprag clutch issue, do a search on here and get down to your dealer and lodge a warranty claim,common issue and the dealership should be aware and proactive.

A new battery helps but will not make a bad Sprag better.
Wrote comment above this don't know if you got the notification.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
MV will cover Sprag issues even out of warranty, this is a well know fault on this model and many bikes/owners have had replacements well past the two years, me included.

I am on replacement four and number five is on order with my dealer now all covered by MV.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I think the only way you're going to get an answer to that is by ringing your dealer. My 675 is being a bit funny, but the warranty ran out over a year ago. My dealer just told me not to worry, but I think it will be down to whether your dealer will put your case forward. I would contact them sooner rather than later.

·
Super Moderator
22,651 Posts
The indications you describe are those of an undercharged battery.

The batteries, as others have said, go bad quickly.

Replace it with a quality Yuasa unit.

The battery could be worn down from trying to spin up fast enough to engage the SPRAG clutch.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
OP has made no reference to the dreaded clacking sound from the left of the engine. To me this is battery not sprag.

·
Super Moderator
22,651 Posts
^^^Agreed^^^

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Sprag failure is not always heralded by clicking, been there done that, sometimes it just dies quietly, known fault.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Fair enuffski. I'm still on the original. Touch wood.

If I were on the original battery I'd still bin it though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmm thanka guys i will order a new battery and install it. See if that solves the issue. If not then i guess it's a sprag clutch. What are good battery recommendations ? Someone told me i should get a lithium battery idk. Also where the hell is the battery ??? Obviously not under the seat since i removed it to see lol.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
No its under the back of the tank which is logical to remove just a bit of a faff. I have a lithium - been on a year and a half now and I've never touched it or charged it despite sometimes leaving it 2 months without starting it. I'm a fan. Just remember never to attach a charger with a 'desulphate' feature or you'll fry it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
MV will cover Sprag issues even out of warranty, this is a well know fault on this model and many bikes/owners have had replacements well past the two years, me included.

I am on replacement four and number five is on order with my dealer now all covered by MV.

Hi JimboF4,
Although it's a know issue my MV Dealer hit me up for $350 dollars for the sprag replacement during a minor service! So unless MV have put up an official recall (I couldn't find one) I think MV Dealers look at the issues case by case :eek:(
That said, since mine was replaced the bike has been rock solid .. and the $350 spent beats being stranded any day of the week.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Hmmm thanka guys i will order a new battery and install it. See if that solves the issue. If not then i guess it's a sprag clutch. What are good battery recommendations ? Someone told me i should get a lithium battery idk. Also where the hell is the battery ??? Obviously not under the seat since i removed it to see lol.
You'd think you would have downloaded the manuals by now :stickpoke

No its under the back of the tank which is logical to remove just a bit of a faff. I have a lithium - been on a year and a half now and I've never touched it or charged it despite sometimes leaving it 2 months without starting it. I'm a fan. Just remember never to attach a charger with a 'desulphate' feature or you'll fry it.
What bike have you got again :stickpoke

See again how it's important to at the very least add you bike model; to your signature people.:ahhh:

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
You have been robbec

Hi JimboF4,
Although it's a know issue my MV Dealer hit me up for $350 dollars for the sprag replacement during a minor service! So unless MV have put up an official recall (I couldn't find one) I think MV Dealers look at the issues case by case :eek:(
That said, since mine was replaced the bike has been rock solid .. and the $350 spent beats being stranded any day of the week.
The Sprag clutch is not a recall matter, the vast majority of bikes have not experienced this problem, but some have had repeatedly failed. There is a service bullitin from MV and it is on this site. The bullitin says if an MV is showing signs of sluggish or fail to start symptoms replace the Sprag.

Your dealer has robbed you of your money, piss poor in my book.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
What bike have you got again :stickpoke

See again how it's important to at the very least add you bike model; to your signature people.:ahhh:
It's a response to a question about a 3 cyl bike.

Sure you don't want me to put it in the registry/security hole?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts