MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bike history:
5,500 miles
Sprag replaced and software update under warranty, around 3,000 miles...

About a month ago, the starting began to get difficult. Unlike the 'clang!-clack!" noises from the first sprag problem, it is more like a DJ record scratch; haulting the starting of the bike... I don't know how to better explain it, so I attached a video. Anyway, sometimes it can go on for several minutes, giving the battery a real hard time,

One day, it kept going so badly, it killed my battery, leaving me stranded, in need of a tow.
I figured I'd go ahead and upgrade to a lithium Shorai... Not a cheap battery, and not easy to install!
It does sound like it cranks much harder, but the same problem persists....

I called the MV dealer in San Francisco, Munroe Motors, who seemed convinced it must be the battery, since they already serviced the sprag.
Just seems weird to me that a problem that cropped up with an old battery remained consistent with a new one.

Could it still be the sprg? I've seen many stories of multiple sprags. Anything else I should look into?

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Sounds like you need a new sprag clutch :)

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Bike history:
5,500 miles
Sprag replaced and software update under warranty, around 3,000 miles...

About a month ago, the starting began to get difficult. Unlike the 'clang!-clack!" noises from the first sprag problem, it is more like a DJ record scratch; haulting the starting of the bike... I don't know how to better explain it, so I attached a video. Anyway, sometimes it can go on for several minutes, giving the battery a real hard time,

One day, it kept going so badly, it killed my battery, leaving me stranded, in need of a tow.
I figured I'd go ahead and upgrade to a lithium Shorai... Not a cheap battery, and not easy to install!
It does sound like it cranks much harder, but the same problem persists....

I called the MV dealer in San Francisco, Munroe Motors, who seemed convinced it must be the battery, since they already serviced the sprag.
Just seems weird to me that a problem that cropped up with an old battery remained consistent with a new one.

Could it still be the sprg? I've seen many stories of multiple sprags. Anything else I should look into?

https://youtu.be/JNJp4qOffcQ

A low battery will shag your sprag in a short period of time. If you replaced the sprag and kept the shitty battery, good chance it could have damaged the new sprag. (I mentioned this to you when I did your Christmas shopping list in a prior thread).

I reckon that they should replace the sprag again and with your new lithium battery it should be a problem sorted (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
392 Posts
Try pushing in the starter button, then pulling the clutch lever in until the starting sequence starts when the clutch position switch makes. It seems like you have more mass / some sideways pressure that makes starting easier when your sprag is wearing.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I stopped going to Munroe Motors after they destroyed everything they touched on my bike. Most of the damage done to my bike was result of them trying to cover up.

After leaving Munroe Motors I haven’t had any major issue with my bike.

If I were you it would be best to find a new dealer like California Speed Sport in Livermore.

A good mechanic would tell you to ditch the battery you have and get something more powerful for the sprag clutch.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for all the advice. I was relieved to hear you all agreed it's the sprag, because I like the new battery, and don't want to have to remove the tank again any time soon...

I called Munroe back
(for the record, I've had decent experience with them. But in my area, I use LG Moto LG Moto Performance for all non-warrantied service. Lawrence is the best, and rides an F4)

Munroe looked up my service history and noticed the sprag they installed had already been revised by MV. So, good news is warranty will install a newer sprag. Bad news is it's on a back-order delay until who knows...

Bay Area California winter weather is very rideable, but not the worst time to be out of commission.
Anyone want to see a video of my battery swap?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. I was relieved to hear you all agreed it's the sprag, because I like the new battery, and don't want to have to remove the tank again any time soon...

I called Munroe back
(for the record, I've had decent experience with them. But in my area, I use LG Moto LG Moto Performance for all non-warrantied service. Lawrence is the best, and rides an F4)

Munroe looked up my service history and noticed the sprag they installed had already been revised by MV. So, good news is warranty will install a newer sprag. Bad news is it's on a back-order delay until who knows...

Bay Area California winter weather is very rideable, but not the worst time to be out of commission.
Anyone want to see a video of my battery swap?
https://youtu.be/vlg4N1dsjM4
my Rivale is hard to start also,i saw u live in oakland we should ride some day :) i live in Vallejo

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my Rivale is hard to start also,i saw u live in oakland we should ride some day :) i live in Vallejo
Yeah dude, have your sprag checked out too.
They ALL go bad, just about... Apparently the most recent (2018) update solves it... But we will see.
It's a bearing that's supposed to grab a smooth wall when spinning in the opposite direction to start your bike.
The 800cc 3cyl motor is awesome, but this sprag issue is a real pain (I have this week off work, but can't ride without risking getting stuck)
Vallejo isn't that far from me. I'm down to ride this spring (I'm not terribly fast, but can ride with just about anybody)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Dragster RR puchased January this year (MY18), 5000 miles no starting issues whatsoever, perfect each time.

The sound is much more positive and there is no need to use the clutch:grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dragster RR puchased January this year (MY18), 5000 miles no starting issues whatsoever, perfect each time.

The sound is much more positive and there is no need to use the clutch:grin2::grin2:
Wait, so you don't need to grab the clutch to start?
My F3 is the only bike that I've ridden that required grabbing clutch to start.
Is that related to this sprag thing?
The shop assured me that after bikes receive the latest update from MV, they never go bad again. We'll see about that!
Wish I understood this stuff better...

·
Registered
565 Posts
I've installed a push button in parallel to the clutch switch on my 2014 f3 800. This way I do not need to pull my clutch lever. It tricks the ECU and I start my bike in neutral using the button I've installed and the starter switch.

I've found an improvement in sprag clutch life this way. The mass of the clutch rotating helps with the high compression parts of the start cycle. This is my theory and you may have already heard of the pull clutch lightly work around so the theory has merit.

I've also installed a full size lithium ion battery. I replace the sprag whenever I do a major service. Currently sprag is the 8000C4242 part number. Was put on the bike this past summer so not that many miles.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
UPDATE:
sprag issue fixed under warranty, again!
Munroe Motor of San Francisco got a negative review in this thread, but just wanted to add that they went to bat for me, convincing MV to pay for my second sprag. The 3 hour labor on this job is not cheap! They also fixed my horn & replaced a missing belly pan bolt, and all they wanted from me was a signature!
Only thing they didn't do was fill my tank!
I've been happy with them in the past, but this time around receive a fat recommendation. The guys in the service department easy to work with.
Bike fires up predictably, and ready to enjoy riding the lighter lithium battery.
Still have to grab the clutch to start.

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what year is your bike?
I suspect it's a change in newer bikes than my 2016.
Not something I care much about, as long as this newly revised sprag solution lasts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts