MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
MCN I've only been buying it every week for 30 years John absolutely great newspaper and the best selling one in U.K.

Guess its a no brainer that the GSXR walks away with it as it is definitely the best all-rounder, I have never liked GSXR's and never bought one but for street use, parts and reasonable reliability its fair to see why they are still on the market.

My choice without hesitation is the 848 EVO. that bike looks absolutely stunning, absolutely amazing and for road use it will keep up with the other two.

The F3, im afraid this bike is for people who have a lot of cash, as it constantly needs work. When you buy a bike new, you should never have to tamper with it as much as what you read from guys on the F3 forum, I would happily sit back with the 848 what an amazing looking bike

thanks for posting John.

·
Banned
1 Posts
Thanks John, you may well have dropped my bank balance by £12k, Im off to Glasgow to have a closer look,

perfect time to buy, this time of year, pretty good weather too, still warm and dry roads

P.S. puppies due 17th Dec if you know of anyone lol.

·
King of Bling
9,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Roy

As a laugh, ask the guys at Glasgow Ducati if they have any second hand 1199 Superleggera's yet ?

Good luck with the pups.. Do you know how many pups the mum is carrying ?.. If you're lucky, this next litter might fund a big chunk off your next bike purchase... :)

Off now to give the gardens their last cut of the year ( I hope :banghead:)..

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Rubbish paper, it's only the best selling one because it is the only one.

There's only two reasons the Suzuki came out top, 1. It's the chief editors long termer and 2. There wasn't a triumph or BMW in the running.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
+ 1

Rubbish paper, it's only the best selling one because it is the only one.

There's only two reasons the Suzuki came out top, 1. It's the chief editors long termer and 2. There wasn't a triumph or BMW in the running.
He's right you know!

jimboF4

·
King of Bling
9,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I got the impression that all the testers wanted the MV to come out tops, because of its drop dead good looks, and track performance.

If it wasn’t for this apparent throttle response issue, the MV would have come out top..

I don’t know why bike manufacturers have to follow the car/aero industry and insist on going down the fly by wire throttle route, if they haven’t managed to refine it enough.. What’s wrong with the good old fashioned cable method.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
John have you tried a FBW throttle on the MV triples? Yes it's different, a bit odd at first but within ten minutes of riding it is not an issue, what does impress is the instantaneous response from the engine, the manic pick-up, the sound, and the fun factor which just overwhelms you.
Anyone who can get to an MV dealer just try one of these new generation bikes, I am old school, F4 since 2001, and I can tell you these new bikes are the future, and will only get better.
jimboF4

·
King of Bling
9,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No I haven't Jim.. The last MV I rode was at Ally Pally when the factory brought a load of bikes over on their European road show tour..

I rode one of the old school large capacity Brutales ( Don't tell Randy because he'll think I'm going weak) and was very, very impressed with it.

I've since turned down road tests from fellow MV owners and dealers, because " You Bin it, you own it"..

I'm waiting for the F3 800cc SPR to come out and then I might jump in and buy another MV..

Does anyone know if the Ducati 1198's have FBW ?.. I'm too lazy to go and check mine in the garage, but if they do, then you wouldn't know it when riding the bike...

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
John have you tried a FBW throttle on the MV triples? Yes it's different, a bit odd at first but within ten minutes of riding it is not an issue, what does impress is the instantaneous response from the engine, the manic pick-up, the sound, and the fun factor which just overwhelms you.
Anyone who can get to an MV dealer just try one of these new generation bikes, I am old school, F4 since 2001, and I can tell you these new bikes are the future, and will only get better.
jimboF4
Hope so Jim...
Ever since the launch of the F3 , EVERY report I've seen complains about the fueling and throttle...whether you love/ hate/ respect MCN/ Fastbikes etc, they all say releatively the same thing...

I've ridden the F3 and both road and track, and it's glorious value for money excitement machine, except the throttle/fuelling/feel/connection is totally shit. I dont want to think about the fueling when im on the edge at the track, it should be just so so i can concentrate on where im going and stopping.... yet that's all i could think about when riding the F3 hard. This reason alone is why I dont have one and it's the reason why it's mentioned in every MV write up.

I hope they find a solution

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Waste of Space

Much has been made of Ride by wire throttle and to be frank I think there some real imbeciles out there with an overinflated sense of ability and knowledge.

I ride MVs from the 50s up to the 2012 F3 - they are all different (obviously) I go from right shift to left shift, Normal shift pattern to reverse pattern to even hand shift - single cable throttles to dual cable & to the F3's ride by wire.

I can tell you this for a fact, if I didn't know the F3 was ride by wire I wouldn't have had a clue the throttle is just a little different to the others (not worlds apart - just a little different) and I adapt to it.

I am certain these guys focus one something & then it becomes the centre of the universe thought wise and consumes them. It surprises me these guys don't get killed on test rides because the they are so focused on one (in the overall scope) thing that is really not a big deal unless it doesn't work which the this throttle definitely does, that they forget to actually ride the damn bike.

Bunch of soft cock prima donnas trying to justify their existence & relevance to a world in which they are mostly, irrelevant.

* Usual journo rant over (for now)* :)

** Late Edit: I didn't see Pete's post above before I made this post & to describe as shit is mind numbing in my experience with the bike, obviously us mere road mortals can't properly assess bikes**

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Much has been made of Ride by wire throttle and to be frank I think there some real imbeciles out there with an overinflated sense of ability and knowledge.

I ride MVs from the 50s up to the 2012 F3 - they are all different (obviously) I go from right shift to left shift, Normal shift pattern to reverse pattern to even hand shift - single cable throttles to dual cable & to the F3's ride by wire.

I can tell you this for a fact, if I didn't know the F3 was ride by wire I wouldn't have had a clue the throttle is just a little different to the others (not worlds apart - just a little different) and I adapt to it.

I am certain these guys focus one something & then it becomes the centre of the universe thought wise and consumes them. It surprises me these guys don't get killed on test rides because the they are so focused on one (in the overall scope) thing that is really not a big deal unless it doesn't work which the this throttle definitely does, that they forget to actually ride the damn bike.

Bunch of soft cock prima donnas trying to justify their existence & relevance to a world in which they are mostly, irrelevant.

* Usual journo rant over (for now)* :)

** Late Edit: I didn't see Pete's post above before I made this post & to describe as shit is mind numbing in my experience with the bike, obviously us mere road mortals can't properly assess bikes**

Shit in relevance to a bike with sublime fuelling and throttle feel Rob...nothing more. In the same way you find it numbing that some of us mortals don't like the F3 throttle much, I find it amazing riders put up with it !! We are all diffent riders with different sensitivities I guess.

Said F3 has now had CAT removed, latest map and tuned to setting "S" which worked so well when running it in on the road.
I'm pretty sure this will sort the feel of the bike somewhat. Will ride it at the Island on the 8th Nov and report back

Excited !

·
Registered
147 Posts
Superbike Mag just did a test of the F3 800 and they liked it. "One tweak of the throttle confirms that the F800 is more sorted and easier to ride as well as faster and gruntier." They did not whine about some supposed throttle response problems. Every bike is different, every bike has a learning curve.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I don't know what all the fuss is about. You buy a race bred bike (F3 800) and you get one, a beautiful one at that.
I'm a novice coming off a 250 Ninja onto a F3 800 and feel very comfortable twisting it wide open. I love the power and the delivery. This bike gives me confidence when dropping into corners and the braking is awesome. Sure it doesn't like putting around doing 50kph but I didn't buy it for that. I never have been in favour of bike reviews comparing different bikes, because there different. Yes the GSXR 750 is smooth and easy in the traffic, but it certainly ain't a F3 800, or even close.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
MCN have never liked MV, they will often give them a fair review when it's on its own and then in a group test they go back on everything they said before and totally slate it, trying very hard to find a negative and focusing solely on that.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Ride By Wire, why the f**k MV went with a hitherto unknown ecu is beyond me?

Bosch/Magnetti Marrelli both make very good proven systems and they both seem to still use cables to the throttle pot to get I guess feeling and accuracy (The RSV4 unit is about the same size as a small clenched fist)

MV use Eldor ecu and Mikuni RBW, why not just take a proven package and simply have the best bike out there? I was really waiting for the MV F3 800, but MV have done it again, maybe next time eh?

PS: Whatever you die hard MV Owners do DO NOT READ OR WATCH the MCN latest group test with Yamaha MT09/Brutale 800 and Kawasaki 800

·
Registered
3,430 Posts

I got the impression that all the testers wanted the MV to come out tops, because of its drop dead good looks, and track performance.

If it wasn’t for this apparent throttle response issue, the MV would have come out top..

I don’t know why bike manufacturers have to follow the car/aero industry and insist on going down the fly by wire throttle route, if they haven’t managed to refine it enough.. What’s wrong with the good old fashioned cable method.

I rode one today, and cant complain about the throttle. Latest mapping of sept.
In the future they learn how they need to program the ecu as people(read journo's) want it.
One smooth handling bike that f3-800!!

I wonder if they will crack the ecu what will happen with free maps.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Ride By Wire, why the f**k MV went with a hitherto unknown ecu is beyond me?

Bosch/Magnetti Marrelli both make very good proven systems and they both seem to still use cables to the throttle pot to get I guess feeling and accuracy (The RSV4 unit is about the same size as a small clenched fist)

MV use Eldor ecu and Mikuni RBW, why not just take a proven package and simply have the best bike out there? I was really waiting for the MV F3 800, but MV have done it again, maybe next time eh?

PS: Whatever you die hard MV Owners do DO NOT READ OR WATCH the MCN latest group test with Yamaha MT09/Brutale 800 and Kawasaki 800
I do not know if true, but heard a story that ride by wire of magnetti marelli is a exclusive contract with Ducati?!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts