MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about changing the gearing on my 2015 F3 800.

This is purely a street bike and i like to hit the tight windy mountain roads around Victoria, Australia. As our roads laws are severe for speeding i don't care about loosing some top end as i never see super high speeds on the road anyway.

I have been riding the bike for about 1,600kms now and find that the gearing is a bit long...1st gear is a bit of a pain to get off the line and i find that on the tight mountain roads i hit, 1st gear is too twitchy and 2nd gear leaves me in the 5000-7000rpm range whereas i would like to be higher up in the revs for a stronger drive off the exits.

What are peoples thoughts on gearing solutions. I would like to maybe try 1 tooth down on the front sprocket.

Anyone else changed their gearing? And if so does it affect the speedo or T/C at all?

I used to have stock gearing on my RSV4 but changed that to -1 front and +2 rear and it was perfect for the mountains.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing your replies.

Cheers

Alex

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks buddy ill look into the Renthal range. My dealer is hopeless and think that there aren't any aftermarket options out there which seemed pretty ridiculous to me.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Alex

I got the sprockets from Renthal and the 520 chain is a DID ERV3 -1 front +1 rear
Wow, that's the same as 4 teeth up on the rear :)

Thanks buddy ill look into the Renthal range. My dealer is hopeless and think that there aren't any aftermarket options out there which seemed pretty ridiculous to me.
Where are you looking mate :stickpoke ?

https://www.designcorse.com/collections/chains-sprockets/f3-675-800+mv-agusta

http://sprocketcenter.com/street-sprocket-applications/mv-agusta/800-f3-2013-2015/520-conversion-sprockets-chain-kits.html

http://www.evolutionbike.it/mvagustastore/index.php/chain-sprockets/f3/pbr.html

and the list carries on. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

No where yet mate..i just called them and wanted to see if they had a cheap steel JT front sprocket in stock like they would have for any other bike.

The way the made it sound was like there wasn't much aftermarket available hence why i thought id ask.

Thanks for the links though ill have a look now.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Wow, that's the same as 4 teeth up on the rear :)

:)
It is still 1t taller than stock F3 675 gearing - OEM 17/41 F3 800 16/43 F3 675

I'm using 16/42 and will only use 16/41 at very fast circuits like NOLA, COTA, Road America & Brainerd.

Even with the MV race kit installed and tuned, I'm not that confident it will pull redline in top gear with 16/41 We'll see at COTA in March.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Im thinking about changing the gearing on my 2015 F3 800.

This is purely a street bike and i like to hit the tight windy mountain roads around Victoria, Australia. As our roads laws are severe for speeding i don't care about loosing some top end as i never see super high speeds on the road anyway.

I have been riding the bike for about 1,600kms now and find that the gearing is a bit long...1st gear is a bit of a pain to get off the line and i find that on the tight mountain roads i hit, 1st gear is too twitchy and 2nd gear leaves me in the 5000-7000rpm range whereas i would like to be higher up in the revs for a stronger drive off the exits.

What are peoples thoughts on gearing solutions. I would like to maybe try 1 tooth down on the front sprocket.

Anyone else changed their gearing? And if so does it affect the speedo or T/C at all?

I used to have stock gearing on my RSV4 but changed that to -1 front and +2 rear and it was perfect for the mountains.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing your replies.

Cheers

Alex
That gearing sounds a bit overkill but if you're happy with it that's what counts......you're not Robbie's boy are you?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I would try -1 teeth at the front first which is nearly equal to +2.5teeth at the back. Go for a ride and see how she feels.

If you are keen then bring the spare rear +1 rear sprocket and change it on the side of the road.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Fair enough

It is still 1t taller than stock F3 675 gearing - OEM 17/41 F3 800 16/43 F3 675

I'm using 16/42 and will only use 16/41 at very fast circuits like NOLA, COTA, Road America & Brainerd.

Even with the MV race kit installed and tuned, I'm not that confident it will pull redline in top gear with 16/41 We'll see at COTA in March.
Fair enough, if you have some time and patience have a look at this, FWD if you like, and see how quickly the 675 runs out of revs even with a big fat fuck like me on it at mid 35deg C temps. It was a awesome day despite coaching duties. At about 4 minutes into the clip my wife and kids swap me and Gregostini.
(I wear the Orange vest)
Keep in mind that he's never ridden an F4, and I've never ridden an F3 on the track.
Mighty kind of him to let me drink all his Bourbon the night before too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy0t5N1TBXY
:yo::yo::yo::yo:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That gearing sounds a bit overkill but if you're happy with it that's what counts......you're not Robbie's boy are you?
I only want to go -1 down on the front. The -1 and +2 was on my Aprilia and it was perfect for the street and is still perfect for Phillip Island's long straight.

Thanks for all the info again guys much appreciated. This dealer still cant seem to find any listing for Renthal and AFAM(going by their Australian catalogues) which is super weird.

I might have to order direct from overseas as i still want to keep 525 pitch and use the stock chain for now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fair enough, if you have some time and patience have a look at this, FWD if you like, and see how quickly the 675 runs out of revs even with a big fat fuck like me on it at mid 35deg C temps. It was a awesome day despite coaching duties. At about 4 minutes into the clip my wife and kids swap me and Gregostini.
(I wear the Orange vest)
Keep in mind that he's never ridden an F4, and I've never ridden an F3 on the track.
Mighty kind of him to let me drink all his Boubon the night before too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy0t5N1TBXY
:yo::yo::yo::yo:
In this vedio, the f3 is using 16/41 setting?

·
Registered
309 Posts
that is an awesome video!!

Watching it as a street rider only I only seen you hit the top of 5th gear (225km/h) this is not something that an everyday street rider in Australia is ever going to day.

I'm in the same boat as Alex looking at gearing as my regular twistys range from a speed limit of 60km to 100km/h, when have "fun" 1st get is far to edgy and 2nd seems to bog down a little on corner exit in that 6-8000rpm range

Oh I'm on a 675..

·
Registered
400 Posts
I only want to go -1 down on the front. The -1 and +2 was on my Aprilia and it was perfect for the street and is still perfect for Phillip Island's long straight.

Thanks for all the info again guys much appreciated. This dealer still cant seem to find any listing for Renthal and AFAM(going by their Australian catalogues) which is super weird.

I might have to order direct from overseas as i still want to keep 525 pitch and use the stock chain for now.
-1 and +2 works really well on my 800. Also allows standard chain length to be used. Cheers

·
Registered
100 Posts
Reviving an old thread here.
There is a lot of mentions of -1 and +2's but no indication of what that is relative to. Apparently F3 800's had another stock gearing (17/41?) in the earlier model from what I read in another thread (?).

In the 2019 F3 800's spec sheet the stock gearing ratio is 17/43. Does anyone have any input on this setup? I have yet to receive my ordered F3 800 RC, but from what I gather it might be wise to change to 16/43 for a more usable rev range.
What are you guys currently running?

Source of comment on old stock gearing of 17/41:
https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/21-customising-performance-section/107473-sprocket-carrier-options-f3-800-a-2.html#post1157241

·
Super Moderator
21,400 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,400 Posts
If you look at the models listed at the top of the page, these are the first of the Three Cylinder Bikes. These would be 2012 Model Year bikes.
@SneakyOwl: You were asking what the early year bikes had as a reference....that is your reference.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts