MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
F3 800 engine rattle?

Hi team!

I have a 2015 F3 800 and I just wanted to run this by yourselves before I take it any further. I just got the bike back after a few months, and usually ride with ear plugs so just want to make sure I'm not over-analysing something that is always there first!

While idling I though I heard a bit of rattle going on but was unsure. Now I've put 14,000km on this bike so I know they can be rattly engines but was unsure. I ditched the earplugs and took it on a 10km loop to see and I kept hearing the same rattle. All this said it is the first time I've ridden the bike properly in some months so I may well be comletely over-analysing and reading into normal noises too much.

I stopped the bike in a carpark (for maximum noise) and captured a short video, seen here:

Sorry for the rush job video! Trying to not take too long in a work carpark with a very loud bike at 11pm :wink2:

I find the rattle is more pronounced on the right hand side of the bike.

Can anybody hopefully confirm this is normal, and I'm worrying over nothing?

Cheers!

·
Registered
565 Posts
MV 3 cyl is normally noisy. One thing I noticed is that bad fuel makes it worse. I also have an F3 800 and it seems sensitive to octane. Old gas loses octane. I would put the highest octane you can find and hopefully that is ethanol free. Run it on the fresh high octane until fans turn on and take it for a spin. You should feel less vibration and less rattle.

I have 91 and 93(USA Rating) ethanol free fuel in the US near me. I can tell just by riding which is in my bike.

It will never go away though. Pulling the clutch in reduces it a little but Italian bikes will always make noise.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help guys! Good to know likely just me and not some sort of issue beginning.

It's running 95 octane at the moment, I'll throw some 98 or 101 in next chance I get and see what differences we get :)

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Its a typical MV 3 cylinder sound.
If it sounds like there are marbels and rocks, grain in your engine she's ready to run :D

When I bought my F3 (first bike to me) I was scared aswell. Its perfectly normal.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I think your fuel is months old right? Also, if you are in europe then the 95 octane is below recommended octane? Bike will certainly be happy with fresh 98 or 101 octane.

Note my octane is USA 91 minimum which is 97 europe I think... and my bike runs nicer on 93 USA octane.

Thanks for the help guys! Good to know likely just me and not some sort of issue beginning.

It's running 95 octane at the moment, I'll throw some 98 or 101 in next chance I get and see what differences we get :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
That sounds more like a Ducati Twin with a dry clutch. I have an F3 800 and it doesn’t sound like that. I’d put a pipe against the engine in different areas and listen to see where you can isolate the sound. Might help figure out what it might possibly be. Just another perspective.
Cheers

·
Registered
76 Posts
Your bike has a hydraulic cam chain tensioner and 15,000 km is about the time for that to start wearing out. Easy to fix.
Suggest you also inspect the clutch basket.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
My clutch rattles a bit more in neutral , less when in gear.

If I was to take a guess Id say yours sounded normal.

·
Administrator
19,804 Posts
Primary gear rattle....straight cut gear lash. Normal stuff. Changes when you pull clutch and put in gear? That's what it is.

Cam chain tensioner is similar in design and construction to what is used in most other brand bikes out there. Not normally a replacement item. Should be fine for many thousands of miles...like 100,000....as long as oil is kept clean and other items (the chain itself) are in good shape.

·
Registered
124 Posts
sounds like mine when the hydraulic cam chain tensioner is doing funny stuff, but after a few mins or secs this goes by in my case

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Primary gear rattle....straight cut gear lash. Normal stuff. Changes when you pull clutch and put in gear? That's what it is.

Cam chain tensioner is similar in design and construction to what is used in most other brand bikes out there. Not normally a replacement item. Should be fine for many thousands of miles...like 100,000....as long as oil is kept clean and other items (the chain itself) are in good shape.
Is the straight cut gears something unique to the F3 or is it common on most motorcycles.

I believe all the gears on the F3 are straight cut and if Im not wrong most motorcycles. Just trying to remember if that was a cost cutting strategy by MV or if it is a benefit to have them straight cut vs helical.

·
Administrator
19,804 Posts
Is the straight cut gears something unique to the F3 or is it common on most motorcycles.

I believe all the gears on the F3 are straight cut and if I'm not wrong most motorcycles. Just trying to remember if that was a cost cutting strategy by MV or if it is a benefit to have them straight cut vs helical.
Straight cut gears transfer power more efficiently and are common in most modern, and all sport motorcycle primary drives and internal transmission ratios. Have been for decades.

Helical cut gears are quieter but give up some power loss and also create a side thrust load. You will find some heavy cruisers with helical primaries, and some bikes use them in the transmission. Harley uses them in the higher ratios, like 5th. All about the noise. :wink2:

Reactions: PTsalas

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey all, thanks for the replies!

I am based in NZ, so our fuel is usually 91, 95, 98 and occasionally 101. The tank of 95 that was in the bike during the video was about 15 minutes old :p The tank prior that had just been filled from had only been there less than 24 hours - I just got my bike back so I'm riding as much as possible :)

I'm inclined to agreed re" cam chain rattle sounds, but I'd also agree I wouldn't expect that on a 16,000km bike. None the less something I can look in to :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hydraulic tensioner in my experience can sometimes get a rattle when the oil is thin or when the mechanism is in between notches. Of course you should make sure it isn't something damaged or worn but if its just old oil or between notches/clicks then the noise will eventually go away after some more stretch.

Noise on video is very hard to compare. Different microphones and speakers can make it sound pronounced in a bad way usually. Search some videos and this topic comes up often. Compare and you'll feel less stressed probably.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got exactly the same fright when I recorded a video in the carpark the other day. I THINK its perfectly fine. The engine is rattly but the cement carpark seems to amplify the higher-frequency rattling noises while surpressing the bass from the exhaust. And its even worse when the exhaust is facing away from the camera mic.

You can see in my vid how the rattling disappears when the camera moves away from the bike and the exhaust can be heard.
http://optimyz.me/F3clearclutch.MOV

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just to let everyone know, my 2015 Stradale is going to get a new cam chain tensioner soon. The issue I have is when restarting the engine when hot, you can ear the cam chain rattle prety bad. The noise goes away but only after 5 to 10 minute. I'll post the result when the jobs is done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts