MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My F3 800 ABS pump failed me :cry:

It started with that my rear brake operated longer and longer before it finally stopped working. At the work shop they found that the ABS pump is failing.

Now I have to wait 2-3 weeks to get it fixed :bandit: that means no riding during my vacation. The new importer from mars has not been able to fill up spare parts yet. They do have doing Suzuki for a long time and I guess this things take time.

The bike has 4000km so far and is a 2014

Now, after writing this I feel better :)

drive safe and have fun

/Fredrik

·
Old Wing Nut
22,155 Posts
Unusual part to fail....very rigorous quality control (think of the potential liabilities!)......Triumph, Kawasaki and Suzuki all had a recall on ABS pumps last year....wonder if it's the same one??

·
King of Bling
9,831 Posts
Unusual part to fail....very rigorous quality control (think of the potential liabilities!)......Triumph, Kawasaki and Suzuki all had a recall on ABS pumps last year....wonder if it's the same one??
Does the MV model have ABS action on the rear brake ??.. I thought it would make more sense to have it only working on the front brakes on a sports bike.. What do the Trumpets and Slowsuki use on their set up ?

It sounds to me that there's air in the rear braking system and if sometime was going to fail in that circuit, the slave cylinder would be more likely, due to the expose to heat from the exhaust..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No air

the garage tried too bleed the system first and examined the rear brake cylinder without finding any faults on the circuit it self.
No fluid was missing either in front or rear containers...

The ABS unit was later diagnosed as the reason for it after contact with MV/Importer. I think, that the front brakes where affected as well, earlier that day I took the scenic route and had a incident with a car on my side of the road in a right hander and it felt like I had trouble getting the bike to stop, I thought it had to with the speed has increased during the last weeks, but it was so that ABS failure also affected my front brakes as well.
Yes the rear also have ABS

BR,

/Fredrik

·
King of Bling
9,831 Posts
Fredrik

The UK dealers over here have had a few recorded issues with the rear brake action on the early F3 models.. They found that bleeding the rear brake caliper with it removed from the bike cured the issue of loss of brake action to the rear.. Apparently it was trapped air in the upper section of the rear brake caliper and bleeding it off the bike fixed the problem..

I'm not saying that's what is wrong with your bike, but it is just a note for your own record..

I'm impressed that MV have linked ABS front and rear brakes.. Very unusual for a sports bike in this class.. Do you know if the other bike manufacturers have the same level of set up on their models ?

.<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p

·
Old Wing Nut
22,155 Posts
All the current sport bikes with ABS have system control of both front and rear brakes. Not a linked system, separate brake fluid circuits, but one ABS pump. BMW, Triumph, Ducati, MV, Yamaha, Suzuki, etc.

Trapped air in the ABS pump can make bleeding very difficult for one circuit or the other. The pump should have a "test" function active control using the diagnostic software. This test function will cycle the pump and help release the air bubbles.

At least the Suzuki bikes have that active control in the diag software. I can't speak for the other brands.

The rear brake is most problematic as the hoses usually route upwards from the master cylinder to the pump, and air bubbles like to float up in the fluid.
Front brake hoses usually route up to the master cylinder from the pump, so the air escapes more easily.

·
King of Bling
9,831 Posts
Cheers for the clarification Ed..
<O:p</O:p
My previous BMW HP2 Sport had ABS as an optional extra, and when the second service was due, the dealer said that the brake fluid replacement had to be done in house because the ABS system needed to be bled using BMW’s plug in workshop diagnostic kit.. The none ABS models could be bled in the conventional method.

At the time I wasn’t sure if that wasn’t because they wanted to charge me for the brake bleeding service, instead of me doing it myself at home.. In the end I let BMW do the brake fluid change..

I have one of these car vacuum bleeding kits that runs off the house mains and the pump sucks the fluid through the system.. I’ve used it on my Ducati and <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
</st1:City><ST1:pKawasaki </ST1:pwhen changing the brake fluid and it works a treat..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally

:)

The ABS pump has arrived to Sweden, all it needs is transport to the garage and be mounted on the bike:conveyer:

It will be 6 weeks from start to finish, if nothing else is broken that was hidden by the pump failure...!?

There is still a mont left of bike riding weather up here in Stockholm :f4:

/Fredrik

1 - 9 of 9 Posts