MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

This is my first post on the forum after reading all sorts of tips and tricks about f3 ownership for the past year :) .
Last year I bought f3 675, year 2013.
Now, last week I went for a ride on the mountain roads and everything was fine and dandy. After riding the bike for a while, I stopped for a break, after the bike cooled down and when I wanted to leave, I noticed that the clutch was hard to pull ( like it was snagged on something ) for some reason, but apart from that it worked just fine. Now, during the ride home, I had to drive through some heavy traffic for about an hour, feathering the clutch through the constant stop and go traffic, but apart from the clutch feeling weird to pull, everything worked fine.
After leaving the city and getting on the highway, I had around 150km/h and I wanted to downshift, but the clutch was stuck. Tried to pull the clutch in 4-5 times and gave up, downshifting without using the clutch. Now after traveling for 30km I left the highway and the clutch was working again, still a bit stiff, but working.

My first thought was that the clutch cable is frayed and got stuck.
Could it be a clutch/clutch basked issue that caused it to get stuck ?
I'm taking the bike for a service next week, so I'll check the clutch and everything, but I wanted to ask if any of you had something similar happen on the f3.

·
Super Moderator
22,357 Posts
Start simple and check the cable.

·
Administrator
19,861 Posts
Welcome to the family @Farmy44 .... I'll bet your cable is the culprit. Has been reported before. Routing is critical and damage has been known to happen.

How about an introductory post in the "New Members" section??? Add you location on the planet to your profile too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Start simple and check the cable.
I'll check that this week. But since I have no idea if my bike has the updated clutch basket, I got to check that too, and replace it if needed.
Hi Welcome to the forum!
Hello there :D.
Welcome to the family @Farmy44 .... I'll bet your cable is the culprit. Has been reported before. Routing is critical and damage has been known to happen.

How about an introductory post in the "New Members" section??? Add you location on the planet to your profile too.
I'll do that sometimes this week :). I sure hope it's the cable, since it would be the fastest fix. But as I said, if the bike has the old clutch basket, I'll get that replaced to avoid having issues in the future.
Hello & Welcome

Hope you get the clutch problems sorted
I'll get it fixed one way or another. Be it a new cable, a new clutch basket or who knows, I might add a slipper clutch to the bike ( but it's pretty expensive ).

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Sounds very similar to what I've experienced.

1 wire of the clutch cable broke lose and digged itself into the hose the cable runs through.

Worked okayish when hot, but when cold it was impossible to move.

Like mentioned before. Start with the cable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I rode the bike to the dealer today, the clutch worked perfectly fine.
Checked the clutch cable and it was fine, replaced it just in case.
A bit strange, but the bike has the updated clutch basket. Clutch plates and everything look perfect.
Couldn't find a reason for the clutch to get stuck.
But now to keep the proper MV spirit going, I got a brand new error on the dashboard.
Behold

Got this on the way to the dealer, quickshifter and traction control won't work. Apart from that the bike feels fine, it won't go into limp mode.
I put the tester on the bike, but had no errors. The error goes away after stopping the bike, but it comes back after riding for a while.
Now I did a quick check and tried to start the bike while it was in gear, without pulling the clutch. It started instantly.
So, yeah, now I gotta check that clutch switch, and eventually order a new one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At least a clutchswitch is on the cheap side when it comes to spares at least😉
Can't argue with that. Already ordered 2 switches.

In the meantime I checked the switch and it seems to be working.
Bike won't start while in gear if I press the switch with a screwdriver.
Might be caused by the switch rubbing the lever and it somehow got shorter, and now the lever can't push it far enough.

·
Administrator
19,861 Posts
Does that thread in?? If so,looks like the threads are stripped, so it may be backed out of position.
Looks a lot like the old rear brake light switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does that thread in?? If so,looks like the threads are stripped, so it may be backed out of position.
Looks a lot like the old rear brake light switch.
I should check the rear brake light switch too, since this never worked for me.

The witch threads in, but that was not the issue.
The switch "housing" so to speak, is made from two parts, and those two parts were loose, giving the button too much travel.
Pushed everything in, and it seems to work now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts