MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
on my F3 675 ('16) from few days I have, on cold start, the "phase sensor error". I think that the problem is on the battery because it has been discharged remaining the bike stopped for a long time. Now I'm using a charge maintainer always connected but each time that I start up the bike that error appears.
What do you think?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
The error itself is usually a symptom of another issue. The sensor is most likely not at fault. You are either getting a low rpm crank speed from a low battery or the sprag clutch is slipping resulting in a low engine crank speed.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
As you said for yourself you left the battery discharging over a longer period of time.
Just plug in the battery tender get the battery fully charger and see if the error goes away after a start up.

Its just handy that after every ride you plug in your tender. Keep the battery charger at all times :)
I've been doing that for 1,5 years now and my battery is fine. (yuaza ytz10s battery and OEM battery tender)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem is that after to have connect the charge maintainer the error appears however. Few time ago I red that when a lithium battery (I have it) been discharge it doesn't return to its performance also after a lot of time connected to charge maintainer.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
The problem is that after to have connect the charge maintainer the error appears however. Few time ago I red that when a lithium battery (I have it) been discharge it doesn't return to its performance also after a lot of time connected to charge maintainer.
Lithium battery needs a specific charger aswell.
If you charger it with the oem tender it might not fully charge.(though im not 100% sure about this)
And yes, ive read something about lithium battery lose performance by a serious discharge.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yes, you need a special charger for a lithium battery. Do not use the MV Agusta one!!!!

But these chargers go pretty cheap online (got mine for app 30 Euros).

The trick is that these chargers are just stupid and provide a continuous voltage not exceeding 14,4 Volt.
No pulsing so....

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Yes, you need a special charger for a lithium battery. Do not use the MV Agusta one!!!!

But these chargers go pretty cheap online (got mine for app 30 Euros).

The trick is that these chargers are just stupid and provide a continuous voltage not exceeding 14,4 Volt.
No pulsing so....
Which charger is stupid? The mv's one or lithium charger?

I believe lithium needs the pulsing right?

·
Registered
605 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Lithium charging uses constant voltage but varies the current the battery needs. So as the battery is charged the current lowers. You also do not want to trickle charge or have any 'desulfate' technology in the lithium charge. You must use a charger made for lithium batteries.

Once a lithium battery is over charge or undercharged the damage is permanent. Also, the bike charging system must not overcharge the battery. On long rides it is possible that the bike overcharges and damages the lithium battery.

Please understand the pros and cons of different batteries and see if it fits your needs. This is especially important on bikes with the battery hidden away from easy access such as with the 3 cylinder MV's these days! Can't just swap it out in 5 minutes!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts