MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
my F3 675 has 12000km and so I want to replace the sparks with iridium sparks.
How sparks are necessary? Are NGK iridium sparks good for F3 675?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi,
my F3 675 has 12000km and so I want to replace the sparks with iridium sparks.
How sparks are necessary? Are NGK iridium sparks good for F3 675?
You need 3 sparks. In my modest opinion you do not need iridium sparks. They take more time to work 100% compared with the OEM ones. The difference is that they last longer. You will spend more money and you will get no benefit.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I know this isn't a like-for-like comparison, but only last week I had NGK Iridiums installed in my 2004 Fireblade. The difference in performance and smoothness was astounding, although I cannot say how much was due to the plugs and how much was due to the ECU remap at the same time.

Granted they are expensive, but a small cost multiplied by 3 is to my m,ind a rewarding investment.

·
Registered
14,563 Posts
????

Replacing spark plugs......

Why do plugs last 80,000mi in cars and 7,500mi in MVs?
Because they want to sell you PARTS at inflated prices and charge you stupid labor for screwing you on the price

Basically the NGK CR-9EIX spark plug is the standard of the motorcycle industry

On eBay 4 are ~$26 and change +~$2.80 shipping

Can't get them in your Country? Buy them on USA eBay and have them sent to me, I'll ship them to you
for actual postage cost......Duty? They are gifts >:)>:)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Replacing spark plugs......

Why do plugs last 80,000mi in cars and 7,500mi in MVs?
Because they want to sell you PARTS at inflated prices and charge you stupid labor for screwing you on the price

Basically the NGK CR-9EIX spark plug is the standard of the motorcycle industry

On eBay 4 are ~$26 and change +~$2.80 shipping

Can't get them in your Country? Buy them on USA eBay and have them sent to me, I'll ship them to you
for actual postage cost......Duty? They are gifts
You are absolutely right. My garage only changes the sparks when they are out of specification not by mileage.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I know this isn't a like-for-like comparison, but only last week I had NGK Iridiums installed in my 2004 Fireblade. The difference in performance and smoothness was astounding, although I cannot say how much was due to the plugs and how much was due to the ECU remap at the same time.

Granted they are expensive, but a small cost multiplied by 3 is to my m,ind a rewarding investment.[/QUO

Believe me it was because of the remap. You can search in the internet and check that I am right. And if your mechanic is a good one will tell you the same. It makes no sense to use iridium. Only in cruise bikes that you do a lot of miles. Not for Racing bikes.

·
Administrator
20,371 Posts
Iridium spark plugs actually have a marginally hotter spark than standard electrode plugs. Slightly better performance, not just longevity.

Reactions: nigelrb

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I replaced mine with Iridium NGK when I checked the valves around 10 000km , I would lie if I told you I could feel a difference.

I do sleep better at night knowing I have the best , but honestly cant tell the difference.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I do sleep better at night knowing I have the best . . .
For me, that's the key. It's not a matter of being big-headed or pretentious; it's because we want to feel assured that we have the best quality product for the purpose. Fortunately, that doesn't always equate to dearest price!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I do sleep better at night knowing I have the best . . .
For me, that's the key. It's not a matter of being big-headed or pretentious; it's because we want to feel assured that we have the best quality product for the purpose. Fortunately, that doesn't always equate to dearest price!
That is a good justification. I completely agreed with you. Some options are only to made us feel comfortable and confident:)

·
Administrator
20,371 Posts
Thanks for posting that...good information.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My F3 675 has 18.000km and I replaced (at 12.000km) the sparks with iridium sparks. Is it necesssary now (18.000) to change again the sparks?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
My F3 675 has 18.000km and I replaced (at 12.000km) the sparks with iridium sparks. Is it necesssary now (18.000) to change again the sparks?
No

Your major valve services are every 12000km.

Why would you even consider taking half your bike apart AGAIN to get to the spark plugs every 6000km ?

Next time you check the valves (24 000km), inspect the spark plugs. On cars they only get changed every 50 000 km and sometimes even more. Your iridium spark plugs will probably outlast the motor.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At 12.000km maintenance I didn't check the valves but I changed the spark plugs and so now (18.000km) I have to check the valves but without change the spark plugs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts