MV Agusta Forum banner

To MV or not to MV?

• F3 675!!! Reliable and dead sexy!

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • The F3 is an amazing bike, but not the best commuter.

Votes: 6 50.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am looking at getting myself an MV Agusta F3 675 EAS or the Triumph 675R.

I have two questions for existing F3 675 owners:

1. What is the servicing like for the F3 675? Can you compare the maintenance required to another bike? Like the Triumph 675R?
2. Would you recommend this bike for commuting?

I am looking forward to weekend rides, but I have to admit, it will see more km's / miles commuting to and from work.

So as a result I am leaning at the moment towards the Triumph. But I know that the F3 would turn more heads... 8)

Do I get a bike only for vanity? Or do I make a more practical choice?

Thanks for your help!

Nassai

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hello and welcome,
I took the second option on the vote based on my own experience on the F3 in city traffic, however, my bike is rarely used for that type of riding. I'm not sure that the Triumph would be much better for commuting though. If I were looking for a reliable and comfortable commuter that's good for weekend blasts as well, I would probably buy a VFR800.
Maintenance wise, there won't be much difference between the two, as for reliability there have been issues for many owners on here, but also many owners with no issues. If you get an F3 put a good quality battery in it straight away and that should start you off in good stead.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Most of the issues the bike has had now have a fix, so your dealer should be able to resolve them (if they occur).

With that said, commuting with a F3 is like having a foxy model girlfriend and asking her to do your laundry and dishes. Its just a waste of bike. Not sure what your commute consists of, but if its city traffic, rather buy a scooter or a B3. The F3 can do it, but Im not sure if you can. This bike is appreciated a lot more when the road is open and winding.

Consider a B3 or maybe Dragster...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Sorry to jump in, why would commuting on a bike be a waste? Do you say that because it's not built for that sort of riding, if so why do people ride race bikes on the road because there not built for that! surely leaving a bike in the garage is more of a waste unless it's a collectable.

·
Registered
270 Posts
You're asking this question on an MV forum? Really?

Seriously, if you're worried about commuting why are you comparing the F3 to the 675, they kind of do the same job? Why not compare the F3 to a B3 or Rivale?

Buy the, MV warts and all - its the good stuff..

·
Registered
128 Posts
Why the hell buy a supersportsbike for daylie work rides?????

·
Registered
431 Posts
For the same reasons as buying a supersportsbike to ride on the street at a fraction of its potential, how many people drive to work in a car with a smile on their face?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I fail to relate how riding in early/late rush hour traffic in the city is the same as riding on the weekend out of town and in the twisties.

Most people don't drive to work with a smile on their face because they are driving to ... WORK. The F3 doesn't reward you if you're not in the right frame of mind. In fact it will piss you off and there in lies my argument. You could get pissed off with the bike and you will fail to see what its about.

The question is: Do you want the bike to give you wood on the weekends, or do you want the bike to get you to work safely, comfortably and in clean state of mind? I rate the B3 is a better bike for you in this case. I bought my F3 to ride on the track and the riding on the road is a bonus (there are roads that are a lot of fun to ride bear in mind). Also bear in mind that we don't know what country/city you are in and what your commute would consist of.

·
Super Moderator
24,113 Posts
My biggest smiles come when I ride to work on my 312R. If I didn't work directly next to the ocean, that would happen allot more than it does. Of the bikes I have, the 312R is my preferred ride...and there is a Brutale 1090RR in the garage next to the HD Ultra Classic.

Riding TO work is what makes me able to ride on the days off. Without work, there are no toys. Therefore; riding TO work brings a smile to my face.:smoking:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Are you dead set on a sportbike?

I only ask because I've had Daytona 675 and a Street Triple, and I will never be able to go back to a sportbike for primarily road use. My next bike is a Brutale 800 for road and occasional track use.

If it's as simple as you like how they look (and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that!) then I totally understand. Commuting probably would be fine on either one since on my Daytona I wouldn't really start hurting until about 2 hours in the saddle. With some rearsets and aftermarket bars I could do 6 hour rides no problem though.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
...how many people drive to work in a car with a smile on their face?
I know that I do, all year ‘round! :) And I’ve been doing it with my present car for the past 8 years and over 212,000 kilometres. :jsm:
The wife was so jealous of the silly smile I’d walk through the day wearing each night that she had to join the party. :naughty:

There is an on going debate over whether or not people should ride Limited Edition or zero mileage bikes. Same answer goes here. Those who sign the check get to enjoy whatever they purchase in whatever manner they decide. End of story.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sorry to jump in, why would commuting on a bike be a waste? Do you say that because it's not built for that sort of riding, if so why do people ride race bikes on the road because there not built for that! surely leaving a bike in the garage is more of a waste unless it's a collectable.
Well said.
I've did 68,000km on my D675 and 2 years now with the F3 so I'm well placed to answer this. Both were used for fast weekend riding, touring, the odd track day...and commuting.

I have a company car park, and for years a company car BUT I preferred the ride in which did get me to work smiling and lane splitting saved so much time. Leaving a nice bike in the garage for days on end IS A WASTE. Even just a crawl in traffic was rewarding.

Service wise costs were about the same but the F3 service intervals are too frequent. The F3 seat is harder but the overall riding position is way more comfortable than the D675. D675 was a full on race stance, whereas I found the F3 quite surprisingly more spacious, head not so far down that your chin drags on the road and your neck needs a brace to hold the weight of the helmet up, so you can look ahead. The bars are higher and wider on the F3, all helps when commuting.
Then there's that magic moment when you park at work, step back and admire your beast and go ..wow!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
your poll options do not include :Looks efin' fantastic but reliability is highly questionable with service quality that goes from completely useless to highly competent but the techs are blindfolded with their hands tied behind their backs and their mouths taped shut. I choose this option.
Fixed that for you Chris. :naughty:
I pick this one too! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts