MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have both of these models? I'm thinking about picking up an F3 (probably an 800) for track day duty and I'd like to hear the perspective of anyone that's ridden both models. Especially if you've done track time on both.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Can't give an informed opinion, sorry. But I'd be really interested in hearing about this.

When I was looking to buy my F3, I was offered an F4 at a very similar price. For me the F4, was just too big. I think for a fun out and out track day, you can't go wrong with an F3 800. If I'd had the cash it would have been my premium choice.

Not that I'm disappointed in the slightest with my 675.

·
Registered
408 Posts
hi, I've just chopped my 675 for the 800, i also have the F4 R in the garage, its still early days with the 800 only got it on good friday so have yet to really give it some, but first impressions are very favourable, love the shifter and slipper clutch, as far as comparing F3 to F4 its a difficult one bikes are like chalk and cheese .

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
I like both, for different reasons. It's the typical 600 & 1000 question. If I picked a F3, it would be the 800, more power, better brakes, slipper clutch. Easy choice.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The F4 is a lot of bike for the track. I don't in any way regret buying and owning it. But a middle weight is more suited to track duty. I don't visit many tracks that allow me to "stretch the legs" on the F4. But I knew that going in.

Thanks for offering your take.

Can't give an informed opinion, sorry. But I'd be really interested in hearing about this.

When I was looking to buy my F3, I was offered an F4 at a very similar price. For me the F4, was just too big. I think for a fun out and out track day, you can't go wrong with an F3 800. If I'd had the cash it would have been my premium choice.

Not that I'm disappointed in the slightest with my 675.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thing that has always turned me off about middle weight bikes is the fact/sense that you have to wring the snot out of the engine (run high revs) to get to their powerband. Obviously this is not the case on an F4 or any other literbike. Do you guys have to wind up the F3 to get power out of it like you would on say an R6? I have heard good reviews on the Triumph 675, which I feel is the most comparable bike to the MV Agusta F3 range of middle weights.

hi, I've just chopped my 675 for the 800, i also have the F4 R in the garage, its still early days with the 800 only got it on good friday so have yet to really give it some, but first impressions are very favourable, love the shifter and slipper clutch, as far as comparing F3 to F4 its a difficult one bikes are like chalk and cheese .
I like both, for different reasons. It's the typical 600 & 1000 question. If I picked a F3, it would be the 800, more power, better brakes, slipper clutch. Easy choice.

·
Registered
601 Posts
This is my opinion and mine only

I have a 2006 F4s; a 2008 Brutale S, a Desmo, F4 CC and lastly a F3 675

Before buying the F3 (last one I bought) my track bike was the Brutale. Easy for me ... it was the cheapest of all

Now my track bike is the F3 ... but because it is pure fun. Tracks here are quite technical. So no super long straights (except TWS) so you dont really need a liter bike.

And yes, if you ask the question ... I took all my bikes to the track, with the exception of the CC.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What made you trade your 675 for the 800 if you don't mind me asking?

Once you have put some miles on the new F3 800 I'd be interested in hearing what you think about the engine in it versus your experience with the 675.

Thanks for offering your comments.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You make sense. By "TWS", do you mean Texas World Speedway?

Thanks for offering your comments.

This is my opinion and mine only

I have a 2006 F4s; a 2008 Brutale S, a Desmo, F4 CC and lastly a F3 675

Before buying the F3 (last one I bought) my track bike was the Brutale. Easy for me ... it was the cheapest of all

Now my track bike is the F3 ... but because it is pure fun. Tracks here are quite technical. So no super long straights (except TWS) so you dont really need a liter bike.

And yes, if you ask the question ... I took all my bikes to the track, with the exception of the CC.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I think youd have to consider your riding experience and track experience. If your starting out on the track than the f3 would be a goid choice. But if you have alot of track experience i think the F4 would better suit. But thats just me. Alot of guys would debate saying a smaller bike is better its more fun but being able to tame a 1000cc on the track is not easy and for me im always trying to brake later and get on the throttle earlier every time im out. I have just as much fun in the corners and on the brakes if not more cause im grabbing a whole handful of the lever to slow me down while the rear end bounces and skips about now thats fun.

But thats just me. If your confident rider i would go the F4. I would get bored of the F3 in no time. I have a SPR i have put on the track. I have a CC that i ride on the road and a suzuki K8 1000 race bike i track always and i have more than enough fun on it.

My two cents

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
465 Posts
The thing that has always turned me off about middle weight bikes is the fact/sense that you have to wring the snot out of the engine (run high revs) to get to their powerband. Obviously this is not the case on an F4 or any other literbike. Do you guys have to wind up the F3 to get power out of it like you would on say an R6? I have heard good reviews on the Triumph 675, which I feel is the most comparable bike to the MV Agusta F3 range of middle weights.
Ah I can help with this though!

I've just come from a 2008 ZX6-R Ninja, which was touted as track focused bike. It pulled cleanly, revved high and made banzai power at 11500+rpm.

It was also much more aggressive in it's riding position.

The closest thing I rode to it was the latest R6.

I've also tried the later model R6's and tested the new 675 on my favourite roads before settling on the F3.

Personally I loved the Rev Happy IL4 engines, but as I explored them more I did find myself creeping up the rev range, crusing around in 2nd ready to crack the throttle for an overtake. On the track I found that if I was in the wrong gear (often sub 8k) I lacked the drive to positively get out of a corner.

The 675 was very different. Everything about the bike is great, the engine pulls cleanly from low to high and is silky smooth through the whole range. It felt like a 4, but with a much better spread across the middle. The top didn't have the IL4 rush, it just got there progressively.

The chassis was light, but physically it was bigger and felt higher than the F3. It was perhaps not as light as the F3 (in feel) but less twitchy.

What I felt it lacked was any drama. It was clinical, clean and smooth, like the Japanese IL4's but without the all hell breaking loose top end. A very competent bike. I can see why it wins group tests.

When I got on the F3, the bottom end pulls almost as strongly, perhaps not as smoothly, but there is definitley more power low down than an IL4. You can feel when the bike is running out of puff, and it's just about where you expect an IL4 to go beserk. However the numbers are already past where the IL4 is. The F3 sounds and feels like it just wants to go all the time and looks amazing too!

I got a corner wrong this weekend on the F3 and I still drove out of it in 3rd, ok, a little slowly, but the bike got out and then pulled through. An IL4 would have bogged down and been flat for a lot longer (especially the new R6's).

The closest IL4 I have found to the triples is the Suzuki GSX-R 600 I had, and apparently the 750 is just great. But it's not an MV.

I do plan to do a decent review once I get the chance to clock up more miles on the MV, so will post a link to it.

Is the Daytona a better bike, maybe. More complete definitely. For me it's not as exciting at all.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Here's a bit of footage some of you might have missed. It was just a casual track day in Western Australia, the bikes where my F4 race bike and Gregostini's F3 675 roadbike.
Pretty hot day, got to about 38degC I think.
I was doing Coaching duties on the day, hence the slowing down behind some guys at times, and the lovely orange vest. Impressive bike, we swapped bikes at one stage so that Greg could feel the F4 power and I could sample the F3 awesomeness.
Greg's in the black and red leathers with bright helmet.
Sorry that some of the video is doubled up, I didn't have much time to edit before posting.
Watch the F4 scream over the hill, Alpine Star gloves on, right past them Prilla's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy0t5N1TBXY

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Here's a bit of footage some of you might have missed. It was just a casual track day in Western Australia, the bikes where my F4 race bike and Gregostini's F3 675 roadbike.
Pretty hot day, got to about 38degC I think.
I was doing Coaching duties on the day, hence the slowing down behind some guys at times, and the lovely orange vest. Impressive bike, we swapped bikes at one stage so that Greg could feel the F4 power and I could sample the F3 awesomeness.
Greg's in the black and red leathers with bright helmet.
Sorry that some of the video is doubled up, I didn't have much time to edit before posting.
Watch the F4 scream over the hill, Alpine Star gloves on, right past them Prilla's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy0t5N1TBXY

Awesome vid donsy. I think me saying your riding experience has some significance is plausable. I just want to know were you giving it everything on the F3 or wanted to stay behind greg? I would like to hear your thoughts on the two.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Crikey Sam, no way I could give it all on the F3, especially on braking and cornering, never had a F3 on the track, never on those tyres, some one else's bike, and he's on mine. 50% effort mate.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Crikey Sam, no way I could give it all on the F3, especially on braking and cornering, never had a F3 on the track, never on those tyres, some one else's bike, and he's on mine. 50% effort mate.

Understand its someone elses bike. But being an experienced rider like yourself ehat do you think of the F3 potential in your eyes against your F4.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Understand its someone elses bike. But being an experienced rider like yourself ehat do you think of the F3 potential in your eyes against your F4.

Same rider, no chance, I would prefer the 800 motor, but then I am a fat bugger.
Given some time to adjust footpegs, tyre pressures, equal amount of fun.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have lots of track time under my belt. Started out doing track days on a ZX7R 14 years ago. Followed up by a couple of R1s and a CBR1000RR. I have been tracking my F4RR regularly (I'd guess at least half a dozen times) over the last year and I have gotten progressively faster as I got used to tracking it. I am a pretty big guy at 6 foot 3 inches (188 centimeters) and 240 pounds (109 kilograms). Which is why I asked the question about the grunt offered by the F3 800's engine. I hadn't seriously considered an F3 until they upped the displacement available to 800cc. Though I am still concerned with the overall size of the package relative to my height and weight (being able to fit the bike).

I think youd have to consider your riding experience and track experience. If your starting out on the track than the f3 would be a goid choice. But if you have alot of track experience i think the F4 would better suit. But thats just me. Alot of guys would debate saying a smaller bike is better its more fun but being able to tame a 1000cc on the track is not easy and for me im always trying to brake later and get on the throttle earlier every time im out. I have just as much fun in the corners and on the brakes if not more cause im grabbing a whole handful of the lever to slow me down while the rear end bounces and skips about now thats fun.

But thats just me. If your confident rider i would go the F4. I would get bored of the F3 in no time. I have a SPR i have put on the track. I have a CC that i ride on the road and a suzuki K8 1000 race bike i track always and i have more than enough fun on it.

My two cents

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Will, you'd need to ride a F3/800 to feel the difference. But mathematically, if you assume the two key numbers are engine torque (to get drive coming out of a corner), and bike weight with rider included, then the three bikes have these ratios:

# of lbs of bike + rider weight per ft/lb of torque:

F4RR (658.9 lbs total weight / 81.87 ft lbs torque) = 8.05
F3/800 (621.4 / 64.91) = 9.57
F3/675 (621.4 / 52.37) = 11.87

Thus, the F3/800 presents 15.9% lower ratio relative to the F4RR, and the F3/675 presents 32.9% lower than the F4RR.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I'm just over 6' and weigh about 82 kg. I recently had the opportunity to ride F4 & F3 back to back on the road. The noticeable difference was the riding position. F3 had subsatntially wider bars, the distance between the tank and the bars was heaps shorter and the resulting riding position was more upright. The seat also had a tendancy to push me forward into the tank which isn't the case on the F4. Since that ride (F3 was a borrowed bike) I have bought a F3 and ridden it a few times. The noticeable difference between the two bikes was no where near as discernible (no back to back comparison) but I did notice the more upright riding position which tended to make for 'stiff arm' riding especially on straight roads. Since then I have adapted my riding position and found the bike fine to ride. On the track I wouldn't expect it to be a problem. The foot pegs/seat relationship seems better on the F3. I did raise the pegs on the F4 but this may not be as necessary on the F3. Bikes were 750 F4 & 675 F3

Obviously the power delivery/ engine response between the two bikes will be different as one is a three cylinder and the other a four. Depending on what year your F4 is, there may also be quite a large difference in technology. For me it was 10 years between the F4 & F3. I don't have a problemm riding high revs which is the tendency on the track whilst the road you tend to ride lower rpm.

For track days, especially on technical tracks, I'd always pick a lighter bike especially if it is 20+ kgs lighter as is the case with the F4 and F3. The other distinct advantage of a lower hp and lighter bike is that you get used to higher corner speeds, full throttle through corners and with a lower top speed more time to set up for corners which will make for a better rider (how many riders have you seen who compensate for their ability by gunning the bike in a straight line) Whilst this isn't an issue for those who are racers or ex-racers it can be a benefit for those of us average riders by raising our riding ability.

A friend has a track dedicated 675 Triumph and has just bought a 800 F3 to replace the Triumph. He has yet to track the F3 (doing it today at Phillip Island). He has ridden the F3 on the road and said the F3 is everything and more than he expected. A couple of other competent riders who have tracked the F3 indicated it was great but they would prefer the 800 over the 675 primarily due to hp. these riders would be in the fast group on a track day.

Personally, I'd pick the F3 over the F4 for track riding and probably the 675 over the 800 purely as it is cheaper both new or second hand and as I'm only an average rider the extra top speed of the F4 over the F3 800 over the F3 675 isn't something I'm fussed about.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts