MV Agusta Forum banner

41 - 60 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
We haven't been looking closely at the F3 800 but there are enough cases of 675 engines failing that it's cause for concern - or not, depending on your frame of mind.
A lot of the failures were covered by MV Agusta under warranty so there wouldn't be much reporting from those people. It's the guys who are coming out of warranty that are the ones who have the most to lose in this. It might seem alarmist but we documented enough of them to make it worthwhile to investigate and if we can help others who either already have blown engines or fear they may experience one after the bike comes off warranty, its at least something to consider.
I think it is heat and the high rev that kills the valves. The 800 does not have the same high rev as the 675. Three Engines with valve failures here in Sweden (on race bikes). MV did take two on warrenty so the last ones was new engines so it does not matter what year the engine is produced.

In racing overheating is the biggest problem with the bikes. My bike is sometimes running over 120°C...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Hey Lads,

It seems to be one step forward and two steps back with this process.

The first shop we sent the parts to for repair didn't work out so we researched and found another place to send them off.
It's coincidental that there are new posts on this thread because the news we received from the second shop wasn't very good at all.
It's bad enough that I don't want to make mention of it until we get a second professional opinion so bear with us until we get a chance to look into that.

We have discovered that the new 2017 machines have updates in the head.
The valves do not neck-down anymore and apparently there have been changes to the guides and quite possibly the cams.
This does little to help any of us that are running machines from last year and beyond though so we feel that continuing to look into this for another little
while is beneficial.

The shop will be repairing the cylinders for us and they are also doing some other things. The heads will move onto yet another shop until we get to the bottom of
what they have specified is the root of the problem.

B

·
Registered
30 Posts
Interesting... which leads me to wonder if the changes will have fixed potential issues. My purchase is pretty much riding on this...

Z...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Interesting... which leads me to wonder if the changes will have fixed potential issues. My purchase is pretty much riding on this...

Z...
Time will tell.

I would love to get my hands on a 2017 complete head to have it analyzed

:wink2:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I wonder if we can buy a 2017 complete head with valves and fit on previous year models?

Maybe MV should consider selling it as a kit?

·
Registered
451 Posts
holy crap I'm looking at a used '15 and this is making me seriously reconsider...
FWIW - I bought a used F3 2015 last July...put 6000 fun filled miles on her before putting her away for winter.
Never skipped a beat. I'll report back, obviously if anything goes wrong.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Got a 2015 f3 800. Bought new. Has about 2122 miles on it.. it's been fine for me.. actually looking to sell if anyone is interested.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 2015 F3 675. It has 8k miles on it. I only use it to drive around town or to work on nice days.
Two weeks ago while accelerating onto the highway I dropped a valve. I'm still covered under warranty thank Goodness!
But do you guys know what MV does for this situation? Will they have the motor rebuilt or send a new long block? What kind of timeline will I be looking at?
Thanks in advance
-Mike
Denver, CO USA

·
Registered
31 Posts
I received the answer to my own question today. MV is sending out a 2017 motor. Does anybody know the differences between the 2017 motor and the 2015 motor besides the obvious black color change? Did they improve on the heads? Or can I expect anothet rebuild in 8000 more miles? I love this bike but my confidence is definitely shaken in the longevity of these motors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good luck, if you really get MY17 motor!
Cylinder head has upgraded design on it.

I tried to buy MY17 crate engine from the factor, but they sayd not possible - offered me MY16 with very crazy price...
Attached is a pic of MY17 cylinder head with double valve springs.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
I personally don't know. But obviously it's happening enough times for people to start a thread on this forum. I doubt you could find any statistics on the topic.

·
Registered
139 Posts
This is complete BS.. I've had it with MV. Shitty batteries, sprag clutch issues, rear hub bearings and now a bad head to worry about... My f3 wouldn't start after the winter even though it was on the tender.. cranked and cranked and then gave me a low voltage error.. called the dealership and they said mv won't cover it because it's considered a wearable item.. BS...

·
Super Moderator
23,090 Posts
This is complete BS.. I've had it with MV. Shitty batteries, sprag clutch issues, rear hub bearings and now a bad head to worry about... My f3 wouldn't start after the winter even though it was on the tender.. cranked and cranked and then gave me a low voltage error.. called the dealership and they said mv won't cover it because it's considered a wearable item.. BS...

Actually, the battery is a BS battery. No kidding. And it is junk from the beginning.

Reactions: caloots
41 - 60 of 262 Posts