MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well as most of you know I finally brought home my long awaited F3.

Was it worth the wait?? OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH Yes!!

So where do I start? maybe a comment for each category.

1. Build quality

From what I have seen so far it is superb, lovely attention to detail everywhere as you would expect from MV. no faults found and the exhaust was spot on too!

2.Ride quality and comfort

As others have mentioned the seat is a little hard but no more than any other sport bike I have ridden, I had about an hour in the seat and it never bothered me, no padded shorts just my Arlen Ness leathers. The riding position is actually very good for a sports bike and I felt less pitched over the front forks than i have on other supersports, I could get one foot flat on the floor and the bars were a comfortable reach, I am 5 foot 7 inches.

3. Suspension handling

This felt really plush and i rode it on it's standard settings from the dealer, i might lower the rear a little but will leave any adjustment alone until it settles down. The handling is dream and it just flows beautifully around corners, it's effortless and it is so light! it really inspires confidence and the tyres feel glued to the road.
I didn't experiance any headshake, it felt really smooth and planted

4. Brakes.

I would say the front brake is one of if not the best brakes i have experianced so far, i was using one finger though obviously I wasn't riding hard today, the lever feels light and smooth, it's really progressive and after adjusting the lever position I loved the power and response of the front brakes. The rear brake concerned me at first as i was not getting much from it, the lever is lower than I am used to and I found myself pointing my toes down more than usual, there may be some adjustment that can be done but once i got used to it I was happy with them.

5. the big question, engine and mapping.

OK I think we all know there is an issue below 4000 rpm and I did
experiance this many times today. At no point though did it really bother me, it's noticeable but not enough to ruin your ride. Where I live is surrounded by dual carraige ways so I found i was hardly ever below 4000 rpm anyway. I can see why if you lived in really built up area or busy towns it could get tiresome, but in my opinion it's not too bad atall, you soon get used to it and the riding style you adapt to get round it soon becomes sencond nature. i agree with Talula re keeping it first or second gear where you might have normally chosen 3rd.

The power is strong too, it has surprised me how eager it is, it just wants to go and go fast. the throttle is quite sensative and it does take off with only little throttle movement. Although I am running it in I did give a a slightly bigger twist now and again and the induction bark is amazing, it's like an angry wolf, it snarls and growls at you, i loved blipping it as i came down the gears too.

6. Gearbox and clutch

The cutch is spot on, a little bit of slip and extra revs are needed to pull away smoothly but no problems to report here, I also found gear selection great too. I don't think it needs a quickshifter to be honest but some may prefer them.

So any bad points? well no, it took a few miles to get to know it and feel comfortable but the truth is it was a pleasure to ride, it sounds incredible and everyone looks, I spent a long time just looking at it this afternoon, it is out of this world stunning!

Attachments

·
Registered
814 Posts
Congrats mate, see all those months of wanting to jump off a bridge paid off afterall.

Just wait for the first time it breaks on you :stickpoke just kidding!

Oh and FYI: she looks fucking beautiful mate

·
Registered
77 Posts
Glad to hear this from you after a rougher than most buildup.

Seriously jealous of you Fuckers getting your bikes!

Sent from a silly little so called Smart phone.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Gorgeous bike and thanks for your review!! Based on what people have been saying, I am assuming your bike has not received the new mapping...correct? Does the bike come with that MV rear stand or did you order one from the special parts catalog?

·
Administrator
19,860 Posts
Thanks for the review and congrats on finally getting her (a long and frustrating wait I gather from your posts)...

Only one thing I can say....I am jealous!!!!:mouthwate

I am trying to justify in my mind the need to buy a third MV :hitit:.....having sat on one, I just know I need this bike!!! :f4:

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Thank You for Your first impressions. And I'm so glad You love the F3. I knew You would.

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Good report.............

Well as most of you know I finally brought home my long awaited F3.

Was it worth the wait?? OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH Yes!!

So where do I start? maybe a comment for each category.

1. Build quality

From what I have seen so far it is superb, lovely attention to detail everywhere as you would expect from MV. no faults found and the exhaust was spot on too!

2.Ride quality and comfort

As others have mentioned the seat is a little hard but no more than any other sport bike I have ridden, I had about an hour in the seat and it never bothered me, no padded shorts just my Arlen Ness leathers. The riding position is actually very good for a sports bike and I felt less pitched over the front forks than i have on other supersports, I could get one foot flat on the floor and the bars were a comfortable reach, I am 5 foot 7 inches.

3. Suspension handling

This felt really plush and i rode it on it's standard settings from the dealer, i might lower the rear a little but will leave any adjustment alone until it settles down. The handling is dream and it just flows beautifully around corners, it's effortless and it is so light! it really inspires confidence and the tyres feel glued to the road.
I didn't experiance any headshake, it felt really smooth and planted

4. Brakes.

I would say the front brake is one of if not the best brakes i have experianced so far, i was using one finger though obviously I wasn't riding hard today, the lever feels light and smooth, it's really progressive and after adjusting the lever position I loved the power and response of the front brakes. The rear brake concerned me at first as i was not getting much from it, the lever is lower than I am used to and I found myself pointing my toes down more than usual, there may be some adjustment that can be done but once i got used to it I was happy with them.

5. the big question, engine and mapping.

OK I think we all know there is an issue below 4000 rpm and I did
experiance this many times today. At no point though did it really bother me, it's noticeable but not enough to ruin your ride. Where I live is surrounded by dual carraige ways so I found i was hardly ever below 4000 rpm anyway. I can see why if you lived in really built up area or busy towns it could get tiresome, but in my opinion it's not too bad atall, you soon get used to it and the riding style you adapt to get round it soon becomes sencond nature. i agree with Talula re keeping it first or second where you might have chosen 3rd.

The power is strong too, it has surprised me how eager it is, it just wants to go and go fast. the throttle is quite sensative and it does take off with only little throttle movement. Although I am running it in I did give a a slightly bigger twist now and again and the induction bark is amazing, it's like an angry wolf, it snarls and growls at you, i loved blipping it as i came down the gears too.

6. Gearbox and clutch

The cutch is spot on, a little bit of slip and extra revs are needed to pull away smoothly but no problems to report here, I also found gear selection great too. I don't think it needs a quickshifter to be honest but some may prefer them.

So any bad points? well no, it took a few miles to get to know it and feel comfortable bit the truth is it was a pleasure to ride, it sounds incredible and everyone looks, I spent a long time just looking at it this afternoon, it is out of this world stunning!
A good factual and honest report.......................I'm so pleased that the bike has ticked all the boxes so-to-speak.

Sounds as if with just a tweak to the mapping it'll be even more of a cracker than it is already.

Take care.............have fun.

:smoking:​

·
Registered
318 Posts
agree with everything listed.

My biggest defect at the moment with the bike (fueling aside) is the inability to use GP shift pattern (1 up 5 down) with the stock rearsets...and the lack of any aftermarket rearsets so far.

:stickpoke

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
With a report like that Dan, you could apply for a job with any motorcycle magazine, very constructive and informative.
You will be in cloud cuckoo land when the mapping is finally sorted.
Look forward to joining you soon

·
Registered
153 Posts
Big congrats Dan, it seems you have the same opinion than Tallula and me on the most parts of the bike.
Very cool. I love the red rear stand, did also buy a used one here in germany, but waiting for it at the moment.

Wish you much fun with that baby Dan!

And...., the exhaust looks the same than mine... :p

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Glad your happy with it Dan, it's been a bit of a roller coaster ride so to see you happy is great! Good report as well

I have to disagree with the 'ride it like you stole' it running in method, in my opinion don't baby it by any means just follow what the book says, they nomally say hilly cross country roads with lots of gear changing, mixed rpm's and engine loads etc

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Dan,
Very happy for you, I am glad your long wait is over. What I would like to ask you and fellow F3 owners is about the different riding modes and the custom mode option and the real effects upon the bikes fueling and how the bike responds to changes.

What preset mode is the bike being delivered in? Which preset mode feels better or worse? Can the custom mode help the below 4k response? Anyone found a cure by fiddling? Or is the current software and adjust-ability just not up to the job (below 4k).

jimboF4

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hi All,

Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate them, I wondered how it would come across as I was shattered and as you can see it was late when I posted it.

I really meant everything I said as I know as a new owner you can be protective of your new toy.

Honestly though the below 4k running concern did not bother me, call me mad but if anything it made the ride more interesting, almost like I was riding a race bike that should be on the track not on the road.

I found negotiating roundabouts fine as i made sure i was in the right gear and I tried it around my housing estate which is narrow whinding up and down roads and again it did not cause me any issue. I did as Talula said and kept it in first gear and held it just over 4000 rpm, it sounds great when you do this too.

This is the first propper sports bike i have owned and I can deffinetley say it is easily the fastest, even keeping it below 6000 rpm I can tell it's seriously quick, I know the press said it hasn't as much grunt as a GSXR 600 but i have ridden them and to me it feels much more repsonsive, the throttle is very sensative and reacts instantly, this took a little getting used to but again each time i stopped got off and got on again for another ride i felt more at ease with it.

It feels really stable and I know it will corner way beyond my abilitys, there is so much i want to say about it.

To answer a couple of questions..

Yes I have the same mapping as the first bikes, I don't feel it's that bad and if the new map makes it better then great. My dealer has been told by MV directly that a fix is coming which may even include a new ECU. all will be under warranty.

The paddock stand is a geniune MV one, I bought it used and it's mint! I also bought a bike cover and the geniune carbon tank protector

I have ordered when availabe the carbon sprocket cover, front mudguard and rear hugger.

I should have a tail tidy in a couple of weeks and I'm off to pro bolt next week to measure it up for Titanium upgrades.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Congratulations! She is definitely beautifull and nice to hear all is ok !
Can't wait for delivery of my B3 reading all of this ... :mouthwate

·
Registered
90 Posts
congrats...I'm with you all the way...I have no probs with keeping the revs about 4K and is feels solid and fun when out on the open road. In fact in town a few revs turn heads as if it was needed riding a brand spanking new F3 (oro in my case). As for the seat well worth the upgrade. I have taken the standard version out for a spin at my local dealer and the oro seat is very comfy.....but you spend most of my time on the pegs and turning in hard so the seat is the last concern. I have dropped the pegs two notches from the standard position as it arrived allows me to get a real good weight shift when required. Still lots of fun to be had in tinkering with the suspension....and learn lots each time I take it out on the road....now a few days of good weather is required to get some good km under the belt...have close to 600 now and getting a good feel for the bike....to be honest as Dan says 'I know it will corner way beyond my abilitys, there is so much i want to say about it' agree 200%...it all about the feel good factor and as i have said from the first ride keeps me smiling.

As for upgrades I think I shall keep it standard....all is good in F3 owner land

1 - 20 of 54 Posts