MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone....i'm picking up my new F4 this Thursday. i just browsed through the complaints section and relieved that i saw nothing major......but i was wondering what modifications have most of you done and price range. i have always owned a Japanese bike, things such as frame sliders was a must for me.....i don't know if i would want to do that mod. on this beautiful motorcycle but if many of you have done this what brand? Alarm system? etc. thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Welcome,
With modifications really it come down to performance modifications and cosmetic, MV's will absorbe as much money as you are willing to put up on both sides of the equation and then some!

With cosmetic stuff, make sure its quality, as there are quite a few dodgy suppliers out there, specially carbon parts. MV sp is VERY expensive and there are some great alternative suppliers, so shop arround.

Any MV Corse performance parts are very expensive, but the old story of you get what you pay for is so true here!

Have fun!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
With better pads, bedded perfectly, you might get away with stock brakes on the street.

If you track your F4 Mille, you will be asking yourself why a $10k jap bike has better brakes. No slipper clutch :(

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Maybe this post is a little out of place here and this is not a mines better than yours dicussion but...

From what I've been able to gather some people find no problem with the Nissans while others dislike them with a passion....regardless of use (street or track), Brembos are considered the top of the line one and as such one can ask how much of this dislike for the Nissans is actually perfomance based and how much is perception. Both function a mildly differently with the Brembo's having more bite but this is not always prefereable...but if it's true that Brembo's were MV's first choice for brakes and the only reason they don't (or haven't) sport the Brembo's is that MV didn't want to put the cash up front for them makes me wonder if anyone here would be talking up the Nissians or swapping them out based based on performance. :later:

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Like many of us, I have a wish list a mile long for parts I would like to fit on my bike. Lets just say based on past experience with the make, Brembo brakes are right up there IMO. :) Never had a problem with the Nissins on my Evo 3 though. :flat: Bit to early to comment on the thou yet.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
0700 said:
With better pads, bedded perfectly, you might get away with stock brakes on the street.

If you track your F4 Mille, you will be asking yourself why a $10k jap bike has better brakes. No slipper clutch :(

:laughing: Braking has to be my weakest personal fault on track but there still doesn't seem to be a problem outbraking a well set up factory with radial brembos ridden by my normal riding buddy. I think it's down to people wanting lightswitch brakes rather than progressive OR just pure bling(more likely). 'Feeling' you have better components can not be overlooked as a very real performance booster however! Confidence can mean everything IMO.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Anybody remember the brakes on the Ducati 916's? They were the definition of wooden. I havent really had a chance to hammer the brakes on my F4 yet, but they feel fine to me?

Can anybody with some track time post how they act after a few sessions at speed? Any fade? Any real substantive loss of braking power or feel? I'm wondering about the stock F4 1000 setup, not the radials...

·
Registered
479 Posts
The "bite" or "progression" of a braking system has far less to do with the calipers and more with the pad and rotor combo being used and size of the piston and lever length on your MC.

Organic pads tend to have much less bite, but get progressively stronger, especially with heat.

Metallic stuff tends to have hellacious bite, but I like them less on the track. They also tear rotors up more, and are harder on the fluid.

I've been through several braking systems on my 929 racebike. I had the stock Nissins, which were considered by all the mags to be the best put on a production bike of the era, period. I used both the stock metallic pads and a couple of other organic compounds chasing the "feel" I preferred. I got this set-up working good, but it was real high maintanance.

Then I went to 6 piston monoblock PVMs on 320mm full floating Brembo rotors, along with a PVM MC. They only had two pad choices metallic or organic. I went with organic. Awesome brakes. Easy on fluid, low maintanance and oh so bling.

Then, working with my sponsor, I traded those in and got PVM 4 piston monobloc radials. They were a cleaner set-up, lighter, and maybe a bit more rigid, but overall performance was on par with the 6 pistons, 1 finger stoppies at triple digit speeds.

And yes, I still got outbraked all of the time at the racetrack. :laughing:

Pretty much any modern sportbike front brake system has as much power as the tire/suspension can handle. The aftermarket stuff (outside of pads and and the master cylinder which are really just choices around rider preference) is really just more bling than anything.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've got stock calipers with EBC Prolites (remember when they were "THE SHIT! ???) on my track bike with Vesrahs. Seem to work fine for me. My bike? A 1996 CBR 600 F3, built superstock with the real cash put into the suspension. Is it the latest/greatest? Nope, not by a long shot. But I still havent ridden the bike all the way to its limits. And I will confess to enjoying stuffing the latest generation bikes on an ancient POS...

As for the feel of the stock MV setup...seems fine to me. I'll know more when I finish the break in period and get the bike on the track.

Luvtolean: Based on your input, you run at a significantly higher skill level than I do. :)

Fact is, I havent heard any real substantive gripes about the MV stock brakes. They certainly seem to have more than sufficeint power for the street (if you dont think so, take a stock HD for a ride...then get back to me)
Your comments on bling seem right on target.

And at the track? Well, ask me at the end of April. But based upon what 'm hearing, they should be sufficient for 90% of the people that buy them. Me included.

·
Registered
479 Posts
BDMF said:
And at the track? Well, ask me at the end of April. But based upon what 'm hearing, they should be sufficient for 90% of the people that buy them. Me included.
And with an MC, and trying a couple of pads, probably 99.9%. And 100% of street guys. From a performance perspective.

The Suzukis have been famous for a while to lose brakes on the track with the Tokico set-up. Most switch to a Brembo MC and new pads, and all is well.

Don't get me wrong though, I love bling as much as anybody. And I'll probably shell out the 3 large for Brembo Radial Monoblocs someday too. ;)

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Since MC's were just brought up let's mention that there CAN be an issue with the stock brake MC. In racing it was found by Teuchert that high freq vibration between the stock reservoir and master cylinder can allow small air bubbles to pass into the system. They developed this to combat that particular problem:

and this central hyd reservoir:

Found at:

http://www.performanceparts.de/

-MV Agusta
--Racing

They also offer a lever with improved leverage:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts