MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Occationally My 2007 910R misshifts between 5th and 6th. Anybody familiar. I probably don't want to hear what you're going to say:wtf:

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
Occationally My 2007 910R misshifts between 5th and 6th. Anybody familiar. I probably don't want to hear what you're going to say:wtf:
i love the MV gearboxes......the only problems i've had were operator error.....not letting the lever return all the way, while seeing how fast i can shift it:stickpoke

i up and down shift without the clutch too:naughty:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
My 750 Brutale used to find the odd nothing between 5 and 6 when I first got it. As Noel says operator error was my problem - push harder and/or release fully and it never happens anymore.

·
Administrator
20,072 Posts
It all has to do with the spacing of the engagement dogs and the rpms of the transmission shafts. You can experience this on any bike with a constant mesh transmission. Some more so than others and usually in upper gears.

The key on the MV is the close spacing of the engagement dogs to minimize drive train lash. If you shift at lower speeds you must make a positive pull on the lever until you feel it fully engage. If you shift at higher speeds the action will be much smoother ....but you will also be breaking the speed limit pretty badly.

·
Registered
335 Posts
This is also very common on xx9 series Ducatis. The first time it happened to me last year I was spooked and pulled over to Google it. Now being fully aware and with determined shifting, it hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've had a false neutral between 5 & 6 on my 990 - sometimes it'll just jump back out of 6th.

Mileage is still low (1400 miles) so hopefully this will improve with age, as the lower gears have done over the last 6 months.

My VFR800 gearbox is so much smoother though - hopefully by the time the Brute is at 27000 miles, it'll be the same.

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
656 Posts
Ed solved this for me last summer. Simple answer is that you're riding slow enough to be in 5th and not fast enough to need 6th. I don't know what an engagement dog is (although I may have been engaged to one in the past) but the whole "you're not going fast enough" cleared it up for me. No more operator error :)

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Ed solved this for me last summer. Simple answer is that you're riding slow enough to be in 5th and not fast enough to need 6th. I don't know what an engagement dog is (although I may have been engaged to one in the past) but the whole "you're not going fast enough" cleared it up for me. No more operator error :)
And according to Ed, going fast enough is not a problem for June......:)

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'm a cautious little slow poke Randy. Francois chased me up a canyon one day on a layover in Denver and claimed I was speedy, but he's delusional...or maybe he's just slower than me. But that doesn't seem likely as I am a turtle.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
I'm a cautious little slow poke Randy. Francois chased me up a canyon one day on a layover in Denver and claimed I was speedy, but he's delusional...or maybe he's just slower than me. But that doesn't seem likely as I am a turtle.
Francois is comfortably faster than me.......:)

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Francois flies planes and stuff. I reckon he's probably about the fastest of all of us.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts