MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
There's no factory extended warranty on offer that I'm aware of. Third party ones require full scrutiny and positive reviews from people who have made claims. Good luck finding one of those...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi was just wondering if anybody knew of any extended warranty available for our bikes.
Hi. Did you check with the supplying dealer? My bike is still under warranty for best part of a year but bought and additional year of cover from my MV dealer when i bought the bike. Based on experience to date it may well be a wise investment :wink2:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I looked into purchasing an extended warranty shortly before my two year warranty expired last month. The only UK warranty I could find was Warranty Direct. The cost was about £440 for 12 months cover. Looking at the list of what was covered I decided that the niggling electrical gremlins that can affect our bikes would not be covered. Sure it covers failure of major mechanical parts but I’ve had these sort of warranties before and I’ve never had a claim paid in full. There are all sorts of exclusions which leaves you with a sizeable bill to cover the shortfall. I therefore decided not to bother. I’ve had my bike two years and I’ve only had the sprag replaced earlier this month so it’s actually been pretty good over the last 5500 miles.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Leveraged my extended warranty to pay for part of the replacing warped disks with upgraded disks. I need to now go in and inquire about expanding gas tank replacement.

·
Registered
661 Posts
In my opinion its it is good to have as long as its backed by dealer

·
Registered
85 Posts
I got mine thru the dealer when I purchase the bike. It was offer to me. I did not even asked. I paid around $600 for 7 year full coverage except wear items. At current rate of things that have been fixed under warranty and the ones that I'm still awaiting parts. I think is well worthy.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I got mine thru the dealer when I purchase the bike. It was offer to me. I did not even asked. I paid around $600 for 7 year full coverage except wear items.
$600 for the 5 year extension over the manufacturer's 2 year warranty is pretty good value for peace of mind. So long as the cover is as comprehensive as you say and they will pay out for parts and labour on all but service items.

I just paid close to £1k for a 5 year warranty on a VW Tiguan, that's a 3 year add-on to the standard 2 year included warranty. Granted this is an extension on the factory warranty and not an aftermarket one. The level of tech on the car makes me shudder to think of the cost of any failures... Given my past history with the marque I doubt I'll need it but the peace of mind is worth the cost to me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I got mine thru the dealer when I purchase the bike. It was offer to me. I did not even asked. I paid around $600 for 7 year full coverage except wear items. At current rate of things that have been fixed under warranty and the ones that I'm still awaiting parts. I think is well worthy.
Thats amazing value! I got the same level of warranty coverage that you describe but only for one additional year and it was £100 here in the UK. Wish I could extend out to 7 years!!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm resurrecting this thread with a question regarding factory extended warranty in the US market.

In 2017, my friend bought a used 2016 F3 from a franchise dealer and was offered a factory extended warranty for extra 4 years and unlimited mileage at a cost of $1000. I've confirmed availability of such warranty through another MV dealer which happens to be out of state. Yesterday I called Tri-County Powersports about getting the warranty through them. The f&i manager had no idea what I was talking about. Does anyone else know about the extended factory warranty? My regular factory warranty expires in April this year and I'd want to get a factory backed extended warranty...

·
Administrator
19,805 Posts
All "Extended Warranty" or "Extended Service" contracts are simply insurance policies.

Only Honda and Yamaha in the USA actually underwrite and administer this insurance themselves. BMW might, I'm not sure.

All other motorcycle manufacturers contract a third party for underwriting and administration. They get a cut of the sales price for the underwriter's privilege of promoting the insurance product as "Factory".

Suzuki, for one, uses Cornerstone for their "Suzuki Extended Protection". Cornerstone offers "Extended Service" or "Warranty" contracts for all other brands under their own name, including MV

Another is Cross Country, who Yamaha used before they took it in-house. It takes a large capital reserve to underwrite in-house, but Yamaha saw the profit potential and acted on it. Honda, with its automobile business, has the capital to do their own.

There are quite a few independent companies out there that dealers may choose when they offer "Extended Warranty/Service/Protection" contracts, even if they sell Yamahas Hondas or whatever that offer "factory" coverage. The dealership management or FI manager makes that decision. Popular ones are RPM One and Pinnacle.

Considering the up-front profit available I am shocked the MV dealer FI manager you contacted didn't know of any.

Now this is only the US market I am talking about. Insurance regulations in other countries may make such extended "warranties" unavailable. I don't know.

Basically, you are betting your bike will break, and the insurance company is betting it won't. And when there is a gray area of coverage the insurance will tend to lean toward "not covered".

Some bikes are a good bet for the insurance company, some are not. I have a friend with a Harley Davidson and a Suzuki that has really won on his bet on the Harley and lost completely on his bet with the Suzuki.

You pay your money and you take your chance.

·
Registered
434 Posts
At $1000 for additional 4 years of coverage with no miles restrictions I am willing to take that bet. Its the Murphy's law. My wife's MB R350 came with an extended warranty - it paid for itself in spades. The f&i manager admitted to being new to MV, coming over from the HD side - these two stores even share the same service area, although I am not sure that they are owned by the same entity. I'll follow up with another MV dealer on Tuesday just to make sure. BTW, a lot of "gray" area can be covered, or not, depending on your relationship with the service manager and that service manager's relationship with the carrier.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
At $1000 for additional 4 years of coverage with no miles restrictions I am willing to take that bet. Its the Murphy's law. My wife's MB R350 came with an extended warranty - it paid for itself in spades. The f&i manager admitted to being new to MV, coming over from the HD side - these two stores even share the same service area, although I am not sure that they are owned by the same entity. I'll follow up with another MV dealer on Tuesday just to make sure. BTW, a lot of "gray" area can be covered, or not, depending on your relationship with the service manager and that service manager's relationship with the carrier.

I got a 5 year "fender to fender", unlimited mileage warranty with no deductible from my dealer for $1,000 a couple weeks before the factory warranty ended. I'm covered until 2021. That equates to $200 per year. No brainer. These bikes can be prone to problems and are not always cheap to fix. Worth every penny for the warranty IMHO. If you don't need it, cool...you purchased a safety net. If you need it, as I did, it pays for itself. I personally wouldn't own an MV without one. My Yamaha...I never even considered it because of their proven reliability.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Fingertight, that is precisely my reasoning behind getting the warranty. Left a vm at another MV dealer, not really that many to choose from. My idea to purchase the warranty as an ice breaker in establishing a relationship with a local dealer. It appears that I should have done that at the dealership back east that did some warranty work on my bike before shipping it to Cali. From my experience so far, they certainly deserve it much more than the locals. IIRC from my prior experience in auto retail, I can purchase that warranty pretty much from any franchised dealer. Might have to do just that...

·
Registered
434 Posts
Sorry Ghazi, I don't know what's going in Europe but from the information I have gathered so far, the available extended warranty options do not appear to have be underwritten by MV itself.

I spoke with two MV authorized dealers. According to each of the dealers, current warranty they offer is either through Western Services or Aegis Powersports Warranty. Zero deductible, 5 year contract. One quote was for $1000 for Western Services, the other was for $1200 either Western or Aegis. In essence, these do not appear to be MV FACTORY warranties. If there's an upside to this, its the fact that your MV can be serviced at any service facility accepting either Western Serv or Aegis Powersport warranties, or both (not that you would want to take your bike anywhere but an authorized dealer or an MV specialized indie shop).

A friend will be sending me a copy of his extended warranty that he obtained at the time of purchasing his MV. His contract is for additional 4 years, or total of 6 years from the bike's original sales date. According to him, its a factory extended warranty with no third party names listed on the contract.

·
Administrator
19,805 Posts
I do not believe there is any extended "Service Contract/Extended Warranty/Extended Protection" type policy offered by MV.

Dealers offer aftermarket insurance products, but I have seen nothing of an "endorsed" MV product.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I do not believe there is any extended "Service Contract/Extended Warranty/Extended Protection" type policy offered by MV.

Dealers offer aftermarket insurance products, but I have seen nothing of an "endorsed" MV product.
Well, according to the response I received from MV today you are correct. here's the email text:

thank you for contacting Mv Agusta.

We inform you that Mv Agusta company offers only 2 years warranty, is not possible to provide this kind of service directly by us.
Any extended warranty would have to come from a third-party warranty company.

We remain at your disposal for any further information.
Kind regards,

Customer Care

MV Agusta Motor S.p.A. - Headquarters: Via G. Macchi, 144 - 21100 Varese - Italy - Mv Agusta Motorcycle - Passion. Precisely Crafted ? Official Website | MV Agusta
Phone: +39.0332.254.443 - Fax: +39.0332.329.378 - [email protected]

I am still waiting to see the warranty paperwork from my friend but as it stands the warranties available are third party warranties and what you get depends on what your dealer sells.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I got the extended warranty through the dealer where I plan to service my MV. I ended up with Western Services underwritten warranty. Its a +5 years to the original warranty, unlimited mileage. My factory warranty is over april 2018, the extended warranty takes it to april 2013. Deductible is $0, just as the factory warranty, all for the price of $1000. The only condition is that your bike is still under factory warranty.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts