MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a little buddy out here in Massachusetts with a car problem. I know nothin about automatics btw

It's a 96 Explorer

The car won't go into reverse and is making a gears , spinning but not meshing crunching kind of noise...

I'd be very grateful for any advice from you auto trans savvy fellas please : )

joe

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Don't park where you need reverse.......:naughty:

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Joe, it's typically cheaper to buy a junkyard tranny and have it put in instead of rebuilding the one in it. Cost about $900-1000 in Bubbaland.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
You could try a trans flush, but I doubt it would help at all. Sounds like the tranny is toast. Honestly, with a '96 Exploder, you're (he's) better off getting rid of it. Not worth fixing, really.

On a good day, the whole vehicle is worth maybe $2K

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks fellas...He has over filled the transmission fluid a bit. Could this cause it ?

cheers

joe

and thanks Randy..I can't tell you how painful that was when I suggested that to the g/f when she couldn't get back on the drive.

lol

joe

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where a bouts in Mass?

My cousin does repairs about 20 minutes west of Worcester.
It's Boston...North shore..a fair run out to Worcester...which I believe is west Ma.

I think it is the end of the road for this lil ol Explorer...and the kid hasn't got heaps of cash to spend on it being a student..

cheers for help

joe

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Thanks fellas...He has over filled the transmission fluid a bit. Could this cause it ?
Doubt it, but couldn't hurt to try to take some fluid out. Best of luck!

·
Super Moderator
22,049 Posts
Actually, transmission fluid level is extremely important to transmission performance. Before you go writing off the tranny, restore the level using a small diameter hose down the fill tube and a vacuum pump. Once level is at the cold fill mark, see how it is running.

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, transmission fluid level is extremely important to transmission performance. Before you go writing off the tranny, restore the level using a small diameter hose down the fill tube and a vacuum pump. Once level is at the cold fill mark, see how it is running.
Thanks Chuck..As you say it has to be wortth levelling it off and seeing how things are from there.

cheers

joe

·
Administrator
19,512 Posts
The Ford Explorer transmissions are famous for failing. My brother has had 2 in his. Last failure left him sitting on the side of the freeway waiting for a tow truck. $2500 later he is driving again with a new factory rebuilt trans.
His rational is the rest of the car is very nice and that was cheaper then getting a new car. About 125k miles per transmission so far.

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Ford Explorer transmissions are famous for failing. My brother has had 2 in his. Last failure left him sitting on the side of the freeway waiting for a tow truck. $2500 later he is driving again with a new factory rebuilt trans.
His rational is the rest of the car is very nice and that was cheaper then getting a new car. About 125k miles per transmission so far.
Thanks Ed,

I'm thinking this car has a 80:20 chance of a trip to the knackers yard if the setting of the transmission fluid at the correct level fails to resuscitate.

Shame really.:bawling::bawling:...but such is life..

joe

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Before you go writing off the tranny, restore the level using a small diameter hose ......
Spoken with authority from an expert on small diameter hoses and junkyard trannys.......:naughty:

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Spoken with authority from an expert on small diameter hoses and junkyard trannys.......:naughty:
Hey Randy, don't pick on Chuck.:stickpoke .He's just had a hard time for a month in a South Seas Paradise riding round on exotic motorcycles...Give him a break lol

·
Super Moderator
22,049 Posts
Joe, don't forget that when I couldn't ride a bike, I had to suffer through driving an Aston Martin Vantage V8!

·
Super Moderator
22,049 Posts
...oh, sorry Randy!:naughty:

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Joe, don't be quite so quick to bail on this Exploder. Why? Well, often the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know. If a grand or two will give your friend a reasonable chance to get another couple of years out of the old Ford, that might be better than spending a grand or two on someone else's unknown junker.

No kidding, if the old Ford is otherwise decent, consider the replacement tranny. If it's a POS, don't bother.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts