MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Experience so far, mods done, and ?

I am still a new owner, I purchased about a month ago and am just about at first 1000km.

First issue I had (still have) is the ride quality. I adjusted my suspension to the soft settings but was getting bounced out of the seat and unable to ride the bike much more than 100km before lower back pain.

I adjusted the suspension to full soft all round and min preload but still the ride was firmer than any bike I have owned before and I would be in some lower back discomfort after a short 100km ride so I took the bike to suspension shop thinking it was over sprung.

I had them replace the rear spring and front coils with Ohlins lighter items and upgrade the valves to similar spec to Showa.

First ride home seemed maybe better (hard to tell on freeway) but when I took to the back roads either something happened to rear shock or simply the fix wasnt enough as ride quality seems to have worsened again. I noticed I am unable to adjust the rear high speed damping screw any longer (was ok but now will not budge in either direction) so wonder if the shock has a problem.

At the same time I had a fuel leak from one of the connectors under the tank - no doubt from the suspension shop and fuel leaked everywhere but I am sure there has also been liquid leak from around where the shock low and high speed adjustment screws are as well but the fuel washed over everything so now not sure.

So I limped home, replaced the o-ring as suggested on the FAQ and now the connector seems ok, no leaks today.

Today I used a Air Hawk seat cushion (see pic) which is my touring item, not something I've had a need for before on day trips - but this has helped - however basically I was at my limit at the end of a 300km ride today and had a sore bum despite everything I had in place and taking double the rest stops I would normally.

I also installed a set of Motivation bar ends (see pic) and these have helped a little bit with the buzzing but really have to keep the revs very low or the buzz comes right back. I think Gel or Foam grips would assist further.

I will ring the suspension shop to see about the high speed damping adjustment however if the shock is working ok then I'm unsure what else to do.

Feeling a bit down at the moment - not sure why the ride so firm despite everything I have done - is it the design of the rear suspension? I notice it is set up a bit different to normal suspensions with pivot action arangement?

Attachments

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
If you want to feel a firm ride, hop on a 1098. My Brutale is quite soft comparitively. I assume you bought the bike new, did you have the shop you bought it at dial in the suspension for you?

CAG

·
Registered
145 Posts
don't assume that because it's not a plush ride it's too hard. i would have tried winding the adjusters in to increase damping - i've seen it help bikes in the past. if you have no damping it'll let the springs bounce you around, which can easily feel like too hard. even spring preload being wrong can exagerate it.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
The Brutale is VERY stiff in comparison to most rides out there. Even in it's softest setting, it's still STIFF.

I would get the rear shock checked out, but the bike is definitly stiffer than most I've hopped on with or without race suspension. You might just have to opt for a different more forgiving shock.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I agree with the bike being stiffer than most. Mine is definitely better now with 2000 miles on the clock compared to before. Keep the abs and lower back strong. That ALWAYS helps :)

·
Registered
762 Posts
The 750 Brutale I recently bought, has extremely stiff suspension. It is great on handling the curves as the bike is very nicely planted in these conditions, but on the freeway ride particularly on all uneven surfaces is almost unbearable, even my eyeballs are hoping up and down to the point that my vision is blurred.

My 749R, whose suspension I tuned for track use, has a much more plush ride on the freeway with just a few clicks of compression and rebound. I am still playing around with the Brutale's settings though, and hope to find a happy medium at some point.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I drive mine daily, so I set everythng per the manual to the softest setting....it's definitly alot better. It's still very aggressive, but MUCH MUCH softer than it was before. Well, compliant I should say, because it's still responsive as heck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
In a time like this I always do the same thing and it never fails to make everything better. I get on my bike strap my helmet on extra tite a drive fast enough to leave any pain in this life behind, along with the part of me that ever gave a #@$%. Can I get a amen......................Cowboy Up...............PILLAR
Ps I had a rough day and thats the only thing that ever helps

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Should have bought a HONDA!! :stickpoke LOL I will say this bike is a wolf in sheeps clothing! Meaning it is a race bread beast trying to be tamed for the street! coming from my old bike to this one is night and day I struggled to get the suspension dialed in with out having to dump a good amount of money for new springs and rebuild. I love this suspension and can't wait till she is fully broken in so I can then fine tune her! Sorry for my 2cents.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies.

Kitchen Stadium is where the Iron Chefs cook (as in the tv show :) )

Yes CHB, starting to wish I had bought a Honda (joke) but their showa suspension does seem pretty good, able to work on all surfaces, my MV's can only handle smooth roads so far. Kinda takes me back to the crap suspension days of the Japanese in early 90's, (ie mega hard rear shocks on kawasaki's etc) now the shoe is on the other foot - I confess its frustrating me and I find it disappointing.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Mr Chef, I recently bgt my 750 brutale in Melbourne and rode to Sydney (900ks) That gave me plenty to think about!. Here's what I did:
1. Got the seat repadded, try Two Wheel Trimming in QLD. Before I was sore after 50k now its not an issue.
2. Get a dampner. I got a rotary Scotts one from Motovation. This will reduce the tension on your arms.
3. Fill the handle bars with silicone. I used the black stuff and kept the std. bar ends. BIG improvment, now no issue.
4. I also found the suspension too hard. I softened the rebound damping and now find it ok.
5. Look at getting a Arrow midpipe, look good, sound great and better response.
6. I also got one of those cute "Biondi" screens from Emoto. That will lessen the strain on the neck, upper body and give you a more pleasent ride.
7. now get out there and ride!

·
Registered
572 Posts
well, if it's any help, I've got an old Japanese sport bike from the early '90s if you want it. The suspension in comparison on the Brutale to my Yamaha FZR600 is awesome. The shocks move around and so forth and the seat's not a stiff piece of lumber. To me, the Brutale's damn comfy.

Good thing I didn't try riding around on a touring bike or some kind of honda or something everyone says is comfy.

Then again, being comfortable'd definitely take away from my reason for riding an piece of steel on two wheels with half the horsepower of my jeep.

·
Registered
572 Posts
oh, yeah. forgot to mention that the upgrades that i've done so far were to replace the midpipe and powercommand it. That made the engine so smooth it was like driving, well, a really expensive motorcycle from Italy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
jpd748 - thank you very much for the excellent advice!

What you say about the seat matches my experience - about 50k before discomfort - I will follow up on that and get the seat re-trim started next week.

I also will do the fill on the bars - will do that this weekend actually.

I'll also look into the other items once I sort the initial comfort. How much louder is the bike with the midpipe? Coppers starting to give defect tickets to bikes with aftermarket mufflers alot in recent months so I dont want it too loud.

Has been frustrating and maddening to have the bike sit there and not be able to ride much due to it giving me lower back pain. I would hop on it then come home and regret having done so for the night and next day with my back telling me not to try that again (maybe getting old I think :) ) Thanks for your words of encouragement.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Mr Chef, I think it is probably a bit louder, more of a growl when you open it up. I think you'll be ok as you would be using the std mufflers and harley's are louder and dont look as pretty!
ps. getting too old? lower back pain?
i have solution... ride faster and have two bikes ( if you dont already?) are you in Sydney? cheers john

·
Registered
197 Posts
Mr Chef, just read your blog.. so your from QLD. nice rides up there. hang in with the brutale, sort out the little probs. you'll be rewarded in the end

1 - 18 of 18 Posts