MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going mad trying to find where to buy these exhaust tip straps. I am missing only one of them, so don't want to go to the dealer on the other side of town just for this. I've searched the internet, but all I come up with is the full exhaust system or a full set of tips.

The weird part is that I couldn't even find this part on MV's own Parts List!

Surely someone sells them. Can anyone please help?

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yup .. Those things are Hens Teeth on their own .. Maybe someone on this forum has one left over from some wrecked set of end cans?

·
Super Moderator
22,472 Posts
I would think that each tip has its own strap. Someone who has done a re-core or de-core might have some left over parts.
I have some parts in my garage attic and I'll check if I have spares next time I'm up there....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish I knew what material they were. I'd get some made up.

I guess I could just make them from a standard 316 stainless. Or if I want high strength and cold forming, go for a 301 spring steel?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Mars312RR. Not sure if this will help or not but just in case.....

I have a handful of bikes with aftermarket systems on them and they all have similar banding around the inlet cone and outlet tip (Yoshimura, Hindle, and Termignoni). It appears the material is stainless. One of the systems is a Yoshimura and a new set of that banding comes with their "repack kit". If it would help, I could take some measurements but suspect the spacing of the slots and rivet holes will be different. Not sure if there are any shops providing muffler repacking services for the MV....but maybe? As silentservice703 mentioned, finding some used parts may be the best approach. Good luck with the search!

·
Vendor
5,367 Posts
Also try the For Sale/wanted section of the forum.Someone may have one for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Mars312RR. Not sure if this will help or not but just in case.....

I have a handful of bikes with aftermarket systems on them and they all have similar banding around the inlet cone and outlet tip (Yoshimura, Hindle, and Termignoni). It appears the material is stainless. One of the systems is a Yoshimura and a new set of that banding comes with their "repack kit". If it would help, I could take some measurements but suspect the spacing of the slots and rivet holes will be different. Not sure if there are any shops providing muffler repacking services for the MV....but maybe? As silentservice703 mentioned, finding some used parts may be the best approach. Good luck with the search!
Thanks for the offer, but I was just going to remove one that I already have on another tip, trace it onto some stainless sheet steel and cut it out with some steel cutters. Shouldn't be too hard.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks for the offer, but I was just going to remove one that I already have on another tip, trace it onto some stainless sheet steel and cut it out with some steel cutters. Shouldn't be too hard.
That strap does not look that easy to cut by hand. If you were to take it off the muffler, it would look like a semi-circle and the open sections along the center don't make it any easier. A used part is the best option - there has to be an old set of cans floating around somewhere. However, if you actually did want to make it yourself, I would take a paper tracing of the part and digitize in CAD as a .DXF file. Then I would have the part water jet cut - deburr and polish the edges yourself. This is an absolute last resort but doing so is not that expensive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That strap does not look that easy to cut by hand. If you were to take it off the muffler, it would look like a semi-circle and the open sections along the center don't make it any easier. A used part is the best option - there has to be an old set of cans floating around somewhere. However, if you actually did want to make it yourself, I would take a paper tracing of the part and digitize in CAD as a .DXF file. Then I would have the part water jet cut - deburr and polish the edges yourself. This is an absolute last resort but doing so is not that expensive.
That's a great idea. If I can't find a second hand part, I can draw it up myself using CAD. I have my own version of Solidworks. The hardest part will be dimensioning those radiused edges from a physical part, but I'm up for it.

·
Registered
995 Posts
The other issue with buying used bands is these things look hand assembled and are not all the same. Meaning the rivet holes on each band match up with the holes in the specific tip it was fitted to. That was my observation with the 2 sets I have pulled apart. The Italians are alittle more relaxed than the Japanese makers with uniformity. 1 option is if possible get the matching tip with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The other issue with buying used bands is these things look hand assembled and are not all the same. Meaning the rivet holes on each band match up with the holes in the specific tip it was fitted to. That was my observation with the 2 sets I have pulled apart. The Italians are alittle more relaxed than the Japanese makers with uniformity. 1 option is if possible get the matching tip with it.
I have the left side band. I think the left and right bands are interchangeable, so I'll test the left on on the side that is missing and check that the holes line up.

Lots of things to think about, but lots of great advice!

I've just gotta say, I was part of a Ducati forum for many years and I hated it. There were so many arrogant & unhelpful people. This forum has been great. It's so nice to be part of the MV community!

·
Registered
187 Posts
That's a great idea. If I can't find a second hand part, I can draw it up myself using CAD. I have my own version of Solidworks. The hardest part will be dimensioning those radiused edges from a physical part, but I'm up for it.
If you're a Solidworks guy, should be a piece of cake for you to work up. I am still lost in 2D CAD that I use for my models to feed a laser cutter.

Re the edges, I would use the most used tool in my shop. A belt sander....

Reactions: Mars312RR
1 - 12 of 12 Posts