MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi - really new to the site (and to mv's to be honest!) so forgive my ignorance but.....

does anyone know what exhaust systems are out there for the 989R, and would they get rid of that horrible box (i assume its the cat) under the bike ??

thanks

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forum...and the MV brand!

As for exhaust - go to the bottom of the Brutale section, and search for exhaust. There should be plenty of results.

In short - there are two broad camps - the slash cut tip camp (the OEM look), or the shorty look (Arrow Thunder). There are plenty of other options also - all derivations of a theme.

As for the 989R - you have the challenge of needing to replace your headers also to replace the cat - which will cost you a few $$$ - but well worth it.

Enjoy the ride - look forward to hearing what zorst you go with!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Not beyond the wit of man (or woman) to cut the pipes before the Cat and fit a decat intermediate pipe - got a photo somewhere of same done to 1078...

There you go - Check 'No-cat' photo in my album

·
Registered
851 Posts
Sounds marginally louder but always felt it lost that edge off the raspy sound (if that makes any sense :) ) runs cooler though

·
Registered
514 Posts
Ben

I posted a You Tube clip of full arrow system on the Trooper Lu Thread that you started.

·
Registered
13 Posts
confused

I have put an arrow thunder on my 989 with mid pipe - got some headers off ebay. Headers look standard and I reckon were cut down off a e3 cat, slightly longer than they should be. O2 sensor fitted etc....

Sounds fantastic but not overly loud at all with the baffles. Lots of backfires coming off throttle - sounds like a proper little ferrari. Standard air filter.

Had cutting out with standard pipes on off throttle several times (bike new a year ago) but now no problems at all - well maybe a little abrupt at low throttle but thats what a brutale is suppoded to be, brutale...

Question is... I have not changed the ecu or added a pc, am doing the motor harm? Can I even change the ecu on the 989 - very little info on the 989 on the forum....?

Many thanks for any help.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I fitted the Arrow Thunder Dark, (920) I run it without the db killer. It sounds like an F1 Ferrari at full cry.
Must admit it runs a lot better with this pipe than it did with the original pipes.
I also fitted the MV Corse Race ECU, but removed it after one day because it made the idling and fueling very erratic

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
?

whatshisname;
the 02 sensor screws into the Cat its M18x1.5
i think you are looking at the M10x1.0 sniffer ports

ECU? talk to Chris (X81) he should be able to fix you up with a MicroTec

brut920;
same pipe 910R, got a MicroTec off a Forum member
DB killer out loud, but not obnoxious

on real hard decel crackles a bunch......fun fun fun:brutale:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the response chaps.

'crackles' - much better and more colourful than saying back firing Knurl. Yeah worth having the pipe for that sound alone......

I have the exhaust fitted (I saw your thread previously Eddypro and thought I would give it a go, spot on) , I do have the sensor into the cat (O2) but like Brute920 without the race ecu or PC5 are we in danger of running the bikes on the lean side and buggering up the engines? I did not change air filter for this reason.

It certainly seems to run better than standard without doing anything and the 'crackling' would suggest plenty of un-burnt petrol, at least on overrun. I figured that the O2 sensor would sort it out but the dealer reckoned removing the cat is too big a change for it to handle on its own.

Is there any thoughts or warnings that I am (and Brutale920 by the sounds of it) knackering the engine by doing this?

Cheers

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Backfiring=bad fueling your guy is correct•you need to fit a microtec or race ecu with pc5. The o2 sensor wil not do crap . Mine does not splutter at all plus your fuel economy will be brilliant.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
crackling?

whatshisname;
not big booming backfires......like turning the ignition off and then on again with carbs.......thats BIG BOOMING.....split mufflers open BIG:stickpoke

a 10-15% lean crackle......like my Aprilia does when the stator dies and the system voltage drops......
I punch all the fuel in the PClll can do and unplug the headlights and run for home:naughty:

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
?

you crazy nut Noel.lol

:yo:
moi?

didn't everybody do that?

especially when you were stopping near a bus stop:naughty:

you needed round mufflers......the oval ones popped open......yes, that loud

now they would call the bomb squad:jerkoff:

ever play with oxy/acetylene torches?:jsm::jsm::jsm:

the MX racers at EC Birt's motorcycle shop were filling 1/3 pint milk cartons with torches.....and using the straw wrappers as fuzes.....sounds like a firecracker:drummer::drummer:

"hey check it out, a styrofoam ice chest, lets use it"
"OK"......

they did and blew the wall out of the shop WHILE they were in it

a garbage bag of helium will lift a garbage bag full of oxy/acetylene......

and blow all the windows out in a 1/4mi radius:naughty::naughty::naughty:

i was not involved at all in that one

:popcorn:

·
Registered
13 Posts
dyno for standard ecu and open pipe

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=64574&stc=1&d=1349117409

Thought this may be interesting. Decided to dyno bike with standard ecu and open pipes as it is really much better than the standard pipes and cat to ride.. maybe I just think I am going faster because its louder...

136bhp max with a pretty linear line for the 3rd run. Chap said it is running lean on low/mid revs but is running rich on the higher.

Not sure what the first runs are - lower gear runs maybe (first dyno run for me)? Fuel is a bit all over but the power is good - dyno man said its not 'dangerously' lean but would be better to ride if mapped properly....

Attachments

·
Registered
405 Posts
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=64574&stc=1&d=1349117409

Thought this may be interesting. Decided to dyno bike with standard ecu and open pipes as it is really much better than the standard pipes and cat to ride.. maybe I just think I am going faster because its louder...

136bhp max with a pretty linear line for the 3rd run. Chap said it is running lean on low/mid revs but is running rich on the higher.

Not sure what the first runs are - lower gear runs maybe (first dyno run for me)? Fuel is a bit all over but the power is good - dyno man said its not 'dangerously' lean but would be better to ride if mapped properly....
Strange plots on the graph, air to fuel is all over the place and as you said far too lean.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts