MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking on modifying the exhaust of my '06 910S Brutie and wondering about it. :blah:
My options based on a good price-performance-weightsaving ratios are:

1.- A Cat Bypass pipe (Arrow) to improve bhp and remove nearly 3Kg of rubbish from the bike. This would leave the aestetics unchanged, with the two original silencers.
2.- Fit the 'stubby' Arrow silencer w/included midpipe.

Given that the price difference between the two options is not big, I am wondering which would be the best option. (Not considering MV Corse :jsm: as an option being an 'out of this world' price tag for me, unless justified by some 'out of this world' improvement related to Arrow option).

I dont feel very happy with changing the looks and would like to know if the 'stubby' heats your right foot and lets enough space to move freely on your right hand rearset.

If you have any of the combinations fitted, please let me know how it feels. I would appreciate any first hand info regarding the performance difference both in terms of power increase and power deliver specially in the lower mid range.
What about the noise difference on both combinations? Does the midpipe alone increase the db significantly? :drummer:

And finally, must any sort of eprom mod must be made for any of the two options for the '06 910S Brutale? i would consider this a drawback as I would like to choose a 'bolt on' simple fit and would not like to mess with the mapping or so.

Any income, welcome...Thank you for your help.
Happy New Year and best and safe rides to all in 2009 !!!

:brutale::brutale::brutale::brutale::brutale:

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
The most bang for the buck comes with changing the mid pipe. You may or may not need a PC3.

If you like the look of the Arrow thunder, get it. It comes with a mid pipe so you get the advantage of no cat and the looks and sound of the thunder exhaust. You will PROBABLY need a PC3 at this point.

There is no performance advantage with the all titanium exhaust. It is looks and sound.

The MV Corse stainless race slipons with the free flow midpipe are a very popular option with Brutale riders. That set up will cost you around $900.

You don't need an eprom if you use the PC3.

CAG

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
P.S. It 80 degrees in Central Florida by the swimming pool at my in laws house.

Snow and cold sucks.

CAG

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you CAG.

Mid pipe is my poll winner so far then. What about sound increase and power delivery?
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a PC3 ?? :wtf:

We have a three to four month long, short fall-winter, and around eight to nine months cool nice weather here in the island of Mallorca. I look forward to have the nice weather back badly. Brrrr.:mouthwate
Take a swim for me. Its 1900h now in Palma, Spain and 55.4ºF (13ºC)...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I like the Arrow stuby, but even more, I like the original two exhaust look. So go and change the midpipe. Would improve the sound a little bit (gives the nice typical MV-Sound) and the bike will run smoother.
The Arrow stuby is louder - with db-killer as well as without.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Exhaust Mod for 910S Brutie's Questions.

Has anyone tried the Arrow eprom (stage 1) with the Arrow Thunder stubby and midpipe? The stage 1 eprom is for the stubby,midpipe and aftermarket air filter.
-Randy

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thank you CAG.

Mid pipe is my poll winner so far then. What about sound increase and power delivery?
I have Arrow midpipe on my 910S. I didn't get the Arrow Thunder because I didn't want to disturb the stock look. Compared with the stock exhaust configuration, the Arrow midpipe sounds much more throaty and definitely louder. Arrow claims it add 4-5 HP. Although I haven't verify it, it does feel more torquey.

My only gripe is that the bike seems to run a bit hotter (within 10 degrees F) than before, although I thought it's supposed to run cooler with the midpipe.... It may just be something particular with my bike though because it seems like most people with the Arrow midpipe experience the opposite. :violin:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have Arrow midpipe on my 910S. I didn't get the Arrow Thunder because I didn't want to disturb the stock look. Compared with the stock exhaust configuration, the Arrow midpipe sounds much more throaty and definitely louder. Arrow claims it add 4-5 HP. Although I haven't verify it, it does feel more torquey.

My only gripe is that the bike seems to run a bit hotter (within 10 degrees F) than before, although I thought it's supposed to run cooler with the midpipe.... It may just be something particular with my bike though because it seems like most people with the Arrow midpipe experience the opposite. :violin:
Thanks a lot for the info. I think I'll like the torquey-throaty thing.
Midpipe leads the poll...definitely:yo:

·
Registered
217 Posts
^ question...

does the stage 1 eprom come w/ the Arrow Thunder setup STANDARD? I have the exact same setup and wondered for a long time...

·
Registered
572 Posts
It's somehow 65 and clear here in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Anyways, I've got a BMC air filter and a Fast by Ferracci mid pipe, not to mention a power commander, and it makes this bike quite the monster. I suggest doing this as your first step and see how you like it. If you want more, get the stubby.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The midpipe is definitely the best value for money. Not only do you let the exhaust flow better but you get rid of a TON of weight by eliminating the cat. We sell quite a few of these and had them on our own bike. We later changed out to the Thunder system. Not for everyone but it does it for us. :) Really cleans up the rear and shows off the 'naked' rear wheel. The sound of the bike with just the midpipe change is minimal but you'll see a throatier growl. Especially when you change out the filter as well. As with the other comments, the bike will run just fine without a PC or chip with just the midpipe and filter.

Regarding the heat issue, we've noticed that with the stock cat, my right boot gets so hot it melts my heel. When we switched out to the midpipe, the heat bottle neck seems to move a bit further back towards the stock pipes. Underway the bike runs a bit cooler and for us the right heel is a bit better. As with most case when you remove the cat and retain the restrictive stock slipons the heat build up is transferred from the cat to to slipons. This is why it is not recommended to eliminate the cat if you are using stock slipons for certain bikes where this heat buildup could damage the slipons and other components. An example is with some Ducatis that have the undertail restrictive slipon configuration.

With the Thunder, we noticed that the heat build up is no longer and issue and it does not affect my right foot anymore. This is because the midpipe included with this kit is much shorter and the slipon much less restrictive. The greatly reduced restriction also does a better job at scavenging off any heat buildup.

Give us a call if you want to yak MV's. We can do that all day!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts