MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'Day,

Can anybody explain how the [email protected]*& you release the exhaust hangers on either side of the catalytic converter on an '09 1078. After turning the cap head screw every which way with and without a spanner on the flat plate it sits in, I lay on my back and discovered a circlip between the head of the screw and the bracket on the converter.

How the f$#@ do you get to this? Man, this has got to be the most dementedly engineered fastener I have ever come across. Especially for so simple a job.

Cheers

Deano:blah:

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
Actually a very clever design

Yes, it is a bit tricky.

Hold the nut across the flats with a spanner and rotate the bolt CCW. The bolt is a standard right hand thread fastener with its end reduced to secure the exhaust.

The bolt will come free of the nut, and the nut which is cushioned in rubber, will remain on the bike. The bolt is more like a pin, passing thru the vibration isolated nut to support the exhaust system. Your photo clearly shows the reduced end of the bolt carrying the weight.

A pneumatic "rattle gun" impact wrench makes removing the bolt a ten second task.

Ciao,
Dick

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
racasey,

Thanks mate, got it. Still, it's not the easiest fastener to use. No room and tight as hell to try and get at holding by two flats.

dmac666

Saw the circlip (just). Thank f$#@ I didn't have to get to that to undo them.

Cheers

Deano

1 - 4 of 4 Posts