MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D I was wondering if anyone out there has done any aftermarket ceramic coating on their exhaust systems? There has been some discussion regarding this topic, but it would be interested to know any results from this process. The companies that do this claim about a 1% increase in power for every 10 deg F reduction in temperature of the exhaust. The average reduction in temperature from stock is around 120 deg which would result in a 12% increase in horsepower. If this is true, coating our Brutale's exhaust system should increase power about 12-15 hp. Given the relatively low coast of a coating job, this is cheap horsepower, plus the motor will run cooler as well (a definite attraction by itself given the hot nature of these engines). What I am shooting for is a cooler, more efficient motor with a possible increase of around 12-15 hp. With the anticipated mods of cat pipe replacement, PC III, BMC filter and possible coating job, there maybe the potential of 130+ BHP from a good dyno job. Just food for thought and any experiences out there involving ceramic coatings would be appreciated.

Lorenzo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
An interesting thought and well worth a look. What does ceramic coating cost?

Would that require a new chip or does it make no difference to fuel injection and ignition timing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
922 Posts
lorenzotx said:
The average reduction in temperature from stock is around 120 deg

Lorenzo
I'm no expert but that seems a too large decrease in temp. Just a bit of healthy skepticism on my part. Having said that, running cooler is definitely a good idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
The temp reduction outside of the headers/link pipe is not what increases power. It's keeping the exhaust pipes and gases hot on the inside that does that. A side benefit is lower temps on the external headers and link pipe - but the interior exhaust gases stay hot longer inside:

"Wrapping headers maintains hotter exhaust gases that exit the system faster through decreased density. Increased exhaust scavenging is produced, along with lower intake temperatures." - from thermotec
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hoovdinii said:
The temp reduction outside of the headers/link pipe is not what increases power. It's keeping the exhaust pipes and gases hot on the inside that does that. A side benefit is lower temps on the external headers and link pipe - but the interior exhaust gases stay hot longer inside:

"Wrapping headers maintains hotter exhaust gases that exit the system faster through decreased density. Increased exhaust scavenging is produced, along with lower intake temperatures." - from thermotec

I agree, it is not the reduction in temperature in of itself, but what is causing the reduction in temperature, that is using heat energy to help flow the exhaust better inside the pipe therefore increasing horsepower. BTW, my local ceramic coating guy will do my exhaust, including mid-pipe for around $165 USD. Even if I only got 5-7 extra hp, it would be worth it. Of course the cooling effect would be a big help, especially during the hellish Texas summers. They offer a variety of colors and they have a nice satin gold finish that just about matches the color of the colored stainless that is already on the pipes now. I think having a nice uniform gold satin finish from header to mid pipe would enhance the asthetics as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
giomanach said:
Where does one go to get this ceramic coating done? And will your $165 guy deal w/ shipping?
I am fortunate to have the coating company here locally right done the street. However they have a website and I am sure they will ship your exhaust after the project is done. However, there are folks in California that do the same kind of work and I believe there are some companies in Encino as well. Just Google ceramic coatings in California. My concern was to find someone who could coat the exhaust with a color that closely matches the stock heated stainless. My local guy has a nice golden color that looks very similar to what is stock. The other benefit is to have a nice nice golden satin patina from the headers all the way through the midpipe. I think this will give a nice finished look in addtion to adding performance.

Lorenzo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,937 Posts
I have my headers and mid pipe ceramic coated with Ti exhaust cans on the F4. From my previous dealings with track and club race cars I would be extremely skeptical of any real gains in bhp. Do it for thermal efficiency not bhp IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JamesC said:
I have my headers and mid pipe ceramic coated with Ti exhaust cans on the F4. From my previous dealings with track and club race cars I would be extremely skeptical of any real gains in bhp. Do it for thermal efficiency not bhp IMO.
I'm not expecting a huge gain in HP, but helping things cool down faster, looks, ect.. also figure into the equation. BTW, if there is better flow through better thermal efficiency, does it not follow that there is at least some HP gain?

Lorenzo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
I think ceramic coating is kind of dull for the "look" of the MV. At least the coating from Jet-Hot. Isn't there a factory spec for chrome plating or some type of yellower chrome?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HHester said:
I think ceramic coating is kind of dull for the "look" of the MV. At least the coating from Jet-Hot. Isn't there a factory spec for chrome plating or some type of yellower chrome?
There are a variety of chrome/silver, satin gold colors out there. Unfortunately it is hard to see what it would look like in person from the web or they dont put all the available colors on the web. I was fortunate, I got see exactly the color and finish on some demo parts and Im satisfied with that particular setup. The color I want to go with matches fairly close to a the gold/bronze color of the stainless pipes after they have been used for a while. The main asthetic thing for me was that the headers and the new midpipe could be color matched all the way to the silencers and not vary greatly from the stock "look".

Lorenzo
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top