MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The F4 was ahead of it's time with power, beauty, tech, handling, that set the standard to be copied over and over. If 2008 was the year for a refresh on the F4, what improved STANDARD features would you "expect", where do we go now?

1. How about an airbox inlet in 06 cbr1000rr location for weight reduction?
(shower injectors? more volume? larger filter? TSS?)

2. How about a composite or aluminum fuel tank for weight reduction?

3. How about a gp style titanium organpipe exhaust for weight reduction?
(The single side swingarm really lends itself to this)

4. How about gp style carbon frameless seat mast for weight reduction?

5. How about magnesium castings for weight reduction?

6. How about titanium valves & retainers for many reasons?

Anybody else, what did I miss? I'm not trying to play down the 07 with all its many upgrades, just wondering what could be coming....The 3 cyclinder 800cc under 400lb would be even better.....but trying to lay off the crack.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
I would expect a weight reduction, at least. The motor is already on par with the competition, and handling superior.

And, boy, I would put down a deposit today on an 800cc triple!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Most of what you mention is already available aftermarket. The Tambo has TSS and while the Senna does not it has many other upgrades...engine , electonics, geometry, suspension and brakes...the thing I believe most of us want to see more is the design of next generation F4. Can't be that far away now?... :stickpoke :conveyer: :stickpoke

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2 & 5 are available (33%, not most), like you say the Senna really has about everything they can do without some slight mid-run revise of maybe the airbox or exhaust and tail.

Yes, what will the next F4 look like, how close can they stay to original, while shrinking the size and weight? and what do we "expect/want"?

Can one "assume" Tamburini is already got a logical evolution of the style in his CRC desk...I hope he does.

Again, this is not a "what can be bolted to the F4" thread, it's "how will MV take it to the next level"?

Who would have though 8 years ago that jap liter bikes would all come with full titanium exhaust, 8 injectors, MV style airbox/fuel tank....not to mention underseat exhaust and fuel injection.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Cool topic. 4 is also avail as an endurance part from QB.

- I like a twitchy bike but I hope they don't sacrifice feel for weight figures. For racing, yes. For street, no biggie IMO. It must not be simple since they had the light frame for the MambaT1/2 and didn't use it going forward with senna/R. Veltro pistas weight is impressively lowered.

- Traction control? Seems all the rage and crc aren't scared to push the boundries of what should be available to us; tss/ebs

-Selectable engine management. Say three general maps: low consumption, normal, race. I strongly suspect they'll be mapping for each gear as well

-Selectable abs?? I don't think I want it but do I really? Think about that really..?

-HID or LED lighting

-I agree the single sided lends itself well to under-engine exhaust and I trust MT could come up with something great but my imagination is lacking

-As you suggested I think we need a new distribution system with regard to fuel delivery and/or throttle bodies. Showers are interesting but coming up with something that has the desired performance but still passes EuroX emissons seems extremely difficult.

-Variable compression a la saab and/or variable valves?

All this modern crap and even keeping the weight THE SAME seems difficult LOL I also suspect in large part that if the new bike speaks to us we will buy it regardless of the trickery.

·
Registered
673 Posts
It's all about reducing weight by using current technology. The japanese have lead the way in reducing engine/supprt weight.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Direct fuel injection would be beneficial, if it could be made to fit a motorcycle.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see the carbon tail unit and undertray from QB, what I was thinking is a complete GP style tail unit without a subframe at all, think Bimota.

Traction Control....DROOOOOOLLLLLLLL!!!!

I think the new ECU on the 910R and 1000R combined with the new head should eliminate the fueling problems on the 05. The idea of Honda style shower injectors came from the Claudio Castiglioni interview, I'm guessing the new ECU can control 8 injectors??? I don't think the airbox is big enough, but he said it.

All newer Audi/VW motors have variable valve timing, I don't see why it won't someday get to bikes.....5yrs, 10yrs, 15yrs.....someday, same with Direct Injection...someday.

I'm thinking, what have they got up the MV suit sleave for 2008...look at the Senna and R, can they go much farther with even a "slight" restyle of the airbox and fairings....At what point does the 10yr old silencer become a restriction? 40hp more, 50hp more???????

KTM superbike has aluminum fuel tank STOCK
Jap literbikes have titanium exhaust STOCK

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
pneumatic valves!

and a diet. first, look at all the unspring elements - swing arm, wheels, brakes, axels, so on. if the unspring stuff gets slimmed down it pays off huge. especially the wheels/rotors, since that would also reduce rotational inertia. the penalty would be stability.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is one of my favorite MVs!!!!

I really think the cf tail mast is the future. Esp with gp exhaust

got more? data? more-more

·
Registered
184 Posts
No subframe?? Huh>? Just carbon bolted onto the frame>? Where is the ECU? and with those wheels, how much does it weigh?

Coleman,.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
as for vvt, honda has tried it on one of their bikes..i think the VFR. but i don't know if they dumped it or not.

question: would you mind if for dietary purposes, MV ditched the swingarm? or only offered it in titanium and jacked the price up to compensate?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts