MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day All,
Are there any identifying feature on the outside of an EVO3 engine to distinguish it from the earlier engines?

Phelps

·
Administrator
20,734 Posts
Engine only...not in the frame? I'm not sure there are any visual clues other than the engine number.... Maybe someone else has insight????

·
Administrator
20,734 Posts
No, just the engine. Is there any indication by the engine number?
Absolutely.... But I do not have the data. You could send an inquiry to the factory. They would have the records.

Or post the engine number here. Some one on the forum may have insights.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I have an EVO 3 and the only difference externally from an aesthetic point of view is a painted pick-up, clutch and sprocket covers (same colour as Brutale from same era), silver grey if I remember correctly. Best check the engine number to be sure incase its been painted.

·
Administrator
20,734 Posts
I have an EVO 3 and the only difference externally from an aesthetic point of view is a painted pick-up, clutch and sprocket covers (same colour as Brutale from same era), silver grey if I remember correctly. Best check the engine number to be sure incase its been painted.

Would you share your engine number with us? That will provide a clue.

Another method of determination would be to check parts manuals for notation of < (engine number) and > (engine number) which designates when changes were made at the factory level.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Yes sure, at work at the mo so will have a look tonight.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, still haven't been able to work out how to identify an EVO3 engine. This MV number system is a mind bender. Some thing I might be onto. Is the nineth and tenth letters of the vin the same as the first and second letter of the engine number?

Ken.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Hi Ken, If it helps my my 2000 750 engine number is AY 01884. I do know the 750 engine numbers are prefixed with F4 where the 1000s are F5. The AY of my engine number matches the 9th/10th digits in my VIN. Here is the MV vague description of the VIN from the owners manual for a 2003 model:

This is from Startwin EVO3 parts list. Doesn't seem they made alot of bikes early if that is the engine number they got up to :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts