MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a few of us heading out to Europe early Oct' in hopes of riding Europes best riding road.

We're looking for miles of medium-high speed / sweeping curves not first gear roll on / roll off curves like the Stelvio

So, can you all give me your suggestions and a brief description ie approx speeds and length of the road

Cheers all :) :) :)

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Bloody hell, where to start, I'll have to think about that one and get back to you, there are loads, did you watch that top gear programme where they went looking for similar pieces of tarmac around Europe?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes mate I did, that's what's sparked this off

Think we may well trailer & 4x4 them there then ride just THE road

It's just choosing which road that's the tricky bit.... Any suggestions John just lay em on us

·
Registered
11 Posts
Depends on where in Europe! Avoiding the hairpins means avoiding the biggest hills! Now I started with 3 options that were different... but bugger it... heres 10 options...

1) Cerreto pass (italy). Runs from Collagna to Fivizzano in the tuscan hills... its more second/ third gear, but approx 50k long
2) While your down there, futa pass from Florence to Bologna is awesome too (though more traffic). Faster, and Id guess 40k? maybe its longer cause I was rather tired from no sleep at Mugello when I rode it
3) There is a road in slovenia... 60km of heavan. Its not a pass, but its pretty epic. From Most na Soci to Logatec. Follows a river toward Iridja... gets better and better and better
4) Passo Di Muira. From Ampezzo towards Aruzona di Cadore... (its my all time fave). Great surface, and the world seems to have forgotten its there :) Oh, its 55k long
5) ok there are hairpins, but Furka, Grimsel, Susten shouldnt be missed. There are great sweeping sections too...
6) Takes a bit of explaining, but Ettal (very south of Germany) to Berwang (austria) is all sweepers and great surface. all up prob 50k but a bit of traffic in the middle
7) Its on my to do list, but im told the B500 south of the nurburgring is epic (cant vouch for it though). Prob Firedancer knows it, given he is from Stuttgart
8) Firedancer is right about the area around lake Garda.. too many options to list.. oh and make sure you get there over brenner pass from innsbruck :)
9) Back in the dolomites.... southern end near Agordo. Its not so high, so less hairpins (though you can go high on somewhere like passo Rolle, which is awesome)
10) Soca River in Slovenia.. just watch the cops there hahah I got booked :yo:

Hope it helps... jealous Im all the way back in Oz again....

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Slovenia and Croatia. Google it. Go from Bovec to Idrija, than Logatec, Postojna, over the border to Croatia, Rijeka-Senj-Karlobag-Zadar.

300+ km of corners of all kinds. Best in the world.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hi MVMerito, i done a trip on the MV in May and found lots of great roads. The San Bernadino pass is good. Nice speeds but with some hairpin turns, goes on for about 15 miles i think but with some good stretches where you can open it up. The scenery is breathtaking, the tarmac good and the roads really are awesome. Check out the ss38 Stelvio to Sluderno, then you turn left where it joins the SS40 and then onto the SS41(Swiss Border) where it turns into the SS28, all of these are great roads. But the BEST in Europe. The jewel in the crown for me was Austria. The roads were simply unbeleiveable. miles and miles of perfect quality, traffic free, knee down bends. I remember i'd just got into Austria and I was on this stretch of road that was lovely, i went round a particular bend that was perfect for a high speed knee down so i stopped, turned around and done it again. and again. What i didnt realise was that that bend was the first of many. I followed that road for 40 miles along side a river and have never enjoyed a day so much in my life!
If you come from Italy (which i highly recommend) and stay at this place http://www.dorfwirt-rockenschaub.at/ i would be very suprised if you find nicer roads anywhere, and if you do, i want to know about them!!!! Let me know if you want me to go into more detail. Have you got any ideas where you want to go?

If you like i can detail for you where i stayed, all motorbike friendly hotels, really nice and most of them had spas in so you could really relax at the end of the day. I

·
King of Bling
9,825 Posts

This one is easy..

The stretch of road between junction 19 and 18 of the M25 and also the long high speed exit at juction 8 of the M1 at Hemel.

Top gear are doing a 2 hour long special feature on these two sections of roads, during the next series..

Go for it lads and keep it real ! :moped:

:later:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts

This one is easy..

The stretch of road between junction 19 and 18 of the M25 and also the long high speed exit at juction 8 of the M1 at Hemel.

Top gear are doing a 2 hour long special feature on these two sections of roads, during the next series..

+1 - Austria can only dream of roads like that. :f4:

·
King of Bling
9,825 Posts
+1 - Austria can only dream of roads like that. :f4:
I bet they're insanely jealous..

I've never actually ridden that stretch of road between junction 19 to 18 myself, but I'm having my bike's suspension set up by K Tech for that very purpose.

I'm then booking a weeks holiday in Watford so I can ride up and down that part of the M25 until I get my riding technique up to speed and can back it in off the M25 Richmansworth junction.

Stoner doesn't know how easy he has it, until he can back it in off the M25 at Ricky..

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

This one is easy..

Have you been drinking yet again!!!! There is life outside our shameful country lol

·
King of Bling
9,825 Posts
Hey James

After coming back from the IOM, I'm going on the wagon for at least 6 months to dry out..

Good luck with the trip and please post some pics on your return to Blighty.

John

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ha John, brilliant. Ps I'm getting that Senna DVD for u this wk, how bout we hook up for a jar Sunday weather permitting n catch up?

Course re images no worries

HUGE thanks for all the suggestions guys-

I'm absolutely smitten with Romania & the Transfag' highway as on top gear- WOW

Now, my question is are we going to get snowed out or suffer from frost bite going in early October??

It's one of those pivotal trips and 1000miles so it's not one we'd like to fudge up re wrong time of yr.

Are we best leaving this till next July and maybe staying more local ie just 6-700 miles, nurburgring and the roads around there at this time of year ???

Someone tell me the Transfag' is having an Indian summer ppppplease

·
King of Bling
9,825 Posts
Hey James..

Look forward to the Senna DVD copy.. Which one is it mate ? ( "The Will to Win" ?)..

Unfortunately, this weekend we're busy, as we've got family round for food and drink.. Weather also looks somewhat suspect which really sucks, as we are hoping do have done a BBQ.

Let me know when the DVD arrives, and we'll arrange something and possibly meet up for a meal..

Cheers
John

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
Awesome ride

I bet they're insanely jealous..

I've never actually ridden that stretch of road between junction 19 to 18 myself, but I'm having my bike's suspension set up by K Tech for that very purpose.

I'm then booking a weeks holiday in Watford so I can ride up and down that part of the M25 until I get my riding technique up to speed and can back it in off the M25 Richmansworth junction.

Stoner doesn't know how easy he has it, until he can back it in off the M25 at Ricky..

Awesome John Awesome, you gonna post pics

wish I had a week to spare to join you, thats going to be one awesome ride

·
Registered
94 Posts
Italy - Futa and Radicosa passes - Part of the old Mille Miglia route, some hairpins, some faster sweepers, good food, stop in Bologna. Ride over to Mugello.

Italy - Cortina d'Ampezzo - Dolomiti region - Nice roads, tends to be wetter than other areas of Italy.

South of France - Gorges du Verdon - take laps around the Gorge. Beautiful scene.

Corsica - Coast roads are twisty, short wall at edge with a long drop to the sea. Watch for caravans. I liked the north and central portions better than the south. Some mountain roads in the central portions turn to dirt paths rather than roads. Ride with caution.

Tons of roads in Switzerland

Get a Michelin Guide of Europe and look for the "scenic" sections of secondary roads shown in green and you can't go wrong.

·
King of Bling
9,825 Posts
Awesome John Awesome, you gonna post pics

wish I had a week to spare to join you, thats going to be one awesome ride

:laughing: ;).

I'll PM you later about arranging a mass get together and having a spin round the amazing M25..

Apparently, it is illegal to photograph any sections of the M25, in case the pictures get distributed around the world and cause a huge pilgrimage of bikers to come and ride the M25..

They've just re-surfaced the section between the A1 and Potters Bar, and it is now a mirror image of Brands Hatch. :f4:

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guys- thanks a mill all of you-

The route we're heading on this year will be fkin amazing !!!

We'll definitely be heading to Switzerland next July on some of the recommended routes, better weathers guaranteed in July.

This Oct', we'll be flying round the Pyrenees I reckon- photos to follow guys

Cheers all....

Ps. Jds, I can only dream of riding the 25, it's reputation is awe inspiring and the stuff of legends: 1 day, oh yes, 1 day

·
Registered
105 Posts
In Romania the summer is very hot.... i would say that the weather... from April to October is very similar with spain, italy...
So i believe it is ok...... :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts