MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hearing a bit about the Euro and in particular the Italian economy lately. I am seriously thinking about getting a brand new MV but I have been wondering if MV's past financial difficulties could haunt us all again if the Italian ecomomy collapsed. It has been challenging in the past owning an M.V all the way down here and would hate to fork out the big $ to find that the recovery of the brand (particularly here in Australia) is again set back by things out of our control.
I would be interested to hear others opinions.

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
I see an MV pond, I dive in head first.

There are those that like to measure the depth first & that's fair enough too.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see an MV pond, I dive in head first.

There are those that like to measure the depth first & that's fair enough too.
Mate, I know where your coming from. I always buy my bikes based on feeling and passion, never with my head. I wouldn't even consider MV otherwise, its just that I do remember and its documented everywhere on this board how frustrating it was when the brand was not properly represented here. Surely the small market like Australia / NZ would be one of the first to go if the cash dries up.

·
Registered
313 Posts
What is your fear?
Not being able to get parts support?
The bike value falling like a stone due to a collapsed manufacturer?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
If you ever watched 127 hours, you will know how Germany and France are at the moment.

You have to chop off your arm (Italy and Greece) to survive (Euro). Its going to be fucking painful but its the hard decision that makes the Euro great. Indecision (gangrene) will slowly kill everyone.

For MV's point of view, we'll all be paying for parts in Lira at inflated prices instead of Euro.

Think about this, the Italian government has 2.0 Trillion Euro (€2,000,000,000,000.00) of debt and have to pay this at 7% interest!!!

The only way Italy can even think of paying back the debt at 7% interest is to increase personal income taxes, and HUGH spending cuts. The flow on effect would be government workers will loose their jobs. Banks will make it harder / more expensive to borrow for personal and business debt. Even higher unemployment will set in.

For all you Aussies, 7% interest is about the same as what most people are paying at the moment for their home loan in Australia.

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
What is your fear?
Some people buy with their hearts

others buy using their heads thinking of todays climate and the ongoing hassle with MV

One thankfull thing with the Italian crisis right now is:

no more months holidays and the MV factory shutting down for a month:naughty::stickpoke:stickpoke

get the Italians working their lazy asses off, including the ones at the MV factory, perhaps they can actually work and make up a parts shipment:smoking:

:blah::blah:

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Whilst in Italy this week with all this debt talk and Jail dodger Bellesconni saying he's standing down the Italian's are not as friendly as in previous years..........in fact saying they were f*****g rude would be a compliment.

Trying to post an internal parcel from an Italian post office was just bloody hard work, she just threw a form at us and was no help whatsoever, we asked a Policeman where the post office was and he just said 'no' and walked away.

And Mc Donalds ouside Central Station has a large bouncer (security guard) stood on the door to keep the beggars, tramps and con artists out, the Metro is full of eastern europenans trying tocon you..............:bash:

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
If you ever watched 127 hours, you will know how Germany and France are at the moment.

You have to chop off your arm (Italy and Greece) to survive (Euro). Its going to be fucking painful but its the hard decision that makes the Euro great. Indecision (gangrene) will slowly kill everyone.

For MV's point of view, we'll all be paying for parts in Lira at inflated prices instead of Euro.

Think about this, the Italian government has 2.0 Trillion Euro (€2,000,000,000,000.00) of debt and have to pay this at 7% interest!!!

The only way Italy can even think of paying back the debt at 7% interest is to increase personal income taxes, and HUGH spending cuts. The flow on effect would be government workers will loose their jobs. Banks will make it harder / more expensive to borrow for personal and business debt. Even higher unemployment will set in.

For all you Aussies, 7% interest is about the same as what most people are paying at the moment for their home loan in Australia.
Home loan in Belgium 4.2% :)

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
The Heart Rules.

Mate, I know where your coming from. I always buy my bikes based on feeling and passion, never with my head. I wouldn't even consider MV otherwise, its just that I do remember and its documented everywhere on this board how frustrating it was when the brand was not properly represented here. Surely the small market like Australia / NZ would be one of the first to go if the cash dries up.
Yes agreed, I don't see bikes as a primary form or transport, so it's not about the head - I rarely ride any bike to get to a destination, there maybe a destination in the ride but it's about the ride first & foremost. Passion is the only thing that can rule those senses.

As for the future, che sara, sara. The world is now a global village and you can always get what you want - I think it's more difficult for single bike owners as any downtime means they can't ride, with multiple bikes, the effect is not as severe.

But you know, when you have lots of bikes, the one you really want to ride is the broken one - funny thing human nature.

Bottom-line, if it puts a great big smile on your face, all other obstacles are surmountable. MV does that for me & always will - when it doesn't anymore I will know my riding days are over.

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
Whilst in Italy this week with all this debt talk and Jail dodger Bellesconni saying he's standing down the Italian's are not as friendly as in previous years..........in fact saying they were f*****g rude would be a compliment.

Trying to post an internal parcel from an Italian post office was just bloody hard work, she just threw a form at us and was no help whatsoever, we asked a Policeman where the post office was and he just said 'no' and walked away.

And Mc Donalds ouside Central Station has a large bouncer (security guard) stood on the door to keep the beggars, tramps and con artists out, the Metro is full of eastern europenans trying tocon you..............:bash:
and to think "we" U.K. tax payers are bailing them out:jerkoff:

lol perhaps MV do have the spares but wont send them.

Village people were right when they sang "go west" and not in a "gay" manor, if you live in the U.K. go west

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes agreed, I don't see bikes as a primary form or transport, so it's not about the head - I rarely ride any bike to get to a destination, there maybe a destination in the ride but it's about the ride first & foremost. Passion is the only thing that can rule those senses.

As for the future, che sara, sara. The world is now a global village and you can always get what you want - I think it's more difficult for single bike owners as any downtime means they can't ride, with multiple bikes, the effect is not as severe.

But you know, when you have lots of bikes, the one you really want to ride is the broken one - funny thing human nature.

Bottom-line, if it puts a great big smile on your face, all other obstacles are surmountable. MV does that for me & always will - when it doesn't anymore I will know my riding days are over.

I agree, I too don't use the bike as transport but all my bikes are Italian :conveyer:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I guess I should buy a new MV and do my bit for the italian economy

·
Registered
208 Posts
I am a lot more cautious nowadays when buying anything Italian as I have been bitten twice! But I cant stay away.:mouthwate

1st time was when I ordered a new 750F4 in 2000 & the factory shut down & I lost my bike & deposit.

2nd time was when I bought a new Mille R in 2001 & a mate shunted the rear end. It took 4 months for my new bits to arrive & I missed a good summer. [Because the model was new I could not find any 2nd hand bits to fix it.]

My mate can tell a few good tales about Alfa Romeo"s ha ha.

His company refuse to supply them as a company car option due to their down time. Lovely cars though.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones,,,,
+1

Probably things are dangerous right now because each country is trying to sort the economic problems not caring to the other country next door. Problem is that misery loves company and no one is safe now if Europe doesn´t act as a whole instead of feeding uncertainty.
On the other hand putting the issue on the "lazy workers"" isn´t also the right move. As far as I know most of the problems that some countries are having are related with very bad and poor governance that only knew how to spend our taxes and increase debt.
Back to the main point I wouldn´t be concerned about economic v.s. MV...my experience so far is that parts needed are quickly delivered and every time I go for a ride I enjoy my bike and have a smile on my face!

·
Registered
9,955 Posts

You have to stop and feel for the people in the south of Europe..They have been taken into a fools paradise " Europe" by the "upper tiers" and now the rats are deserting the ship and leaving the crew to sort the mess out. Stand by because communism may well be on the way back in these countries ? Turbulent times lie ahead and whilst I love MV the issue of survival of peoples has a higher profile for me.
just my tuppence worth,
joe

·
Registered
9,955 Posts

Mike it sounds as though you were in a big city ? I've seen the same sort of behaviour in London...
joe

·
Registered
879 Posts
Do you have to fear something if it's already happened/happening?

Someone earlier commented that some appendages will be removed and the firsts to go will be Greece, Italy, Spain....

As owners we will learn new levels (never imagined) of patience as Italy (among other countries) feels the pain. The one advantage will be a lot of low mileage (< 3000 miles) sitting in living rooms as art pieces.

What is your fear?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts