MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a pair of these today, mainly to just listen to some music as I commute to work. Don't worry, I don't have it up loud. What impressed me most, though, was that these are the best general ear plugs I've used so far. They cut down much more wind and other noise than anything else I've tried, still let you hear the important stuff like sirens, and are much more comfortable than standard ear plugs. If any of you are thinking of something similar, I can definitely recommend them. They are a little pricey, but worth it IMHO.

·
Registered
108 Posts
next month (March) at the Milton Keynes advanced motrcyclists we are having a talk by ultimateear from the UK who make bespoke moulded plugs with or without monitors. I will report back after the talk but I aim to get some.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Which series Etymotic's did you get? I tried the ER6 while they sound great but they did not have much bass. Not looking for anything booming, but it would be nice to hear "some" bass.

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the 6i version. The bass sounds fine to me with them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sventekoz said:
I bought the 6i version. The bass sounds fine to me with them.
The bass response in the 6i is considerably better than that of the ER6 version. Isolation from ambient noise is striking in both...and because the bud fits deep into the auditory canal, interference with helmet fit is never a problem.

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rockethouse said:
When using them as earplugs can you disconnect the cable?
Unfortunately, no. That would be a great feature, but I guess it would too easily compromise the sound.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Sventekoz said:
Unfortunately, no. That would be a great feature, but I guess it would too easily compromise the sound.
Bummer, do you put the cable under your chin or behind your neck and does it flap around much?

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The cable is intended to go under your chin, because it has a shirt clip on it - but I don't see any reason why you couldn't set it up in any way that suits you. I haven't had any problems with it flapping around.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
The 6i's are good. There was another thread somewhere on here about them.

Apparently the er4's or something like that are the bomb. Have not yet gone out to look for them...they come with different buds, etc. that work better than the 'flanged' ones.

·
Registered
84 Posts
ER-4p's are definitely the bomb

TokyoLunch said:
Apparently the er4's or something like that are the bomb. Have not yet gone out to look for them...they come with different buds, etc. that work better than the 'flanged' ones.
I have the ER-4p and they are hands-down the BEST headphones I've ever owned. I had them stolen from me once and went out and just replaced them - there is no need to shop around for alternatives.

The black foam tips are ingenius: you mash them up with your fingers and then insert into your ear. They slowly start to expand back to their original size/form molding their shape to the contours of your ear canal. What results is almost a perfect seal (like earplugs), which is what makes the bass so intense.

The only downside to these headphones is that it really does block out all of the ambient noise around you - which sometimes can be dangerous. The other thing to point out is that you have to cram these things into your ear for the best results, and some people are just twitchy about that.

·
Registered
420 Posts
SpeedRacer said:
I have the ER-4p and they are hands-down the BEST headphones I've ever owned. I had them stolen from me once and went out and just replaced them - there is no need to shop around for alternatives.

The black foam tips are ingenius: you mash them up with your fingers and then insert into your ear. They slowly start to expand back to their original size/form molding their shape to the contours of your ear canal. What results is almost a perfect seal (like earplugs), which is what makes the bass so intense.

The only downside to these headphones is that it really does block out all of the ambient noise around you - which sometimes can be dangerous. The other thing to point out is that you have to cram these things into your ear for the best results, and some people are just twitchy about that.

Wow...Thanks for the info...Exactly what I needed to know...I've been wanting a pair of ER-4P for awhile since the reviews where great and the fact they have so many type of ear buds.

My problem is I have had extensive ear operations (when I was young) and so picking something in terms of Ear phones/Ear plugs is tricky....If they completely seal then the pressure becomes too great and causes me great discomfort. But it seems the in ear canal type headphones are the ones that work well under a helmet....I guess another options would be to try speakers behind the padding of the helmet.

Regardless glad to know the ER-4P's are good...It will be my next purchase.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts