MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Removing the Cat

I have a 2008 Brutale 910s, i was looking to remove the cat. Both so the bike will run a bit cooler, but to also gain power and it will look better.

Being an 08, i believe removing it is a bit harder. I picked up a non cat mid pipe and realize i have to cut the headers at the cat. But what chip/computer upgrade do i need to do this?

Id like to improve the streetability of the bike at the same time as the throttle can be "snatchy" especially at low rpms...

hit me up with your thoughts. I have considered the microtec unit but the cost is really high, and i dont know of anyone local who can tune it.

I live in tampa Florida

·
Registered
14,415 Posts
decat?

Onager;

the easy route is an set of early head pipes and the mid pipe.....cutting the pipe doesn't work, the bend is wrong and too short..... ask me how i know

from the F4 section;
i have a '08 910R.....box stock it was the WORST fueled bike under 2,500 RPM i have EVER ridden
yes, i have the VDST tool and i used it
i have a Uni-Syn and have been using it for over 50 years
i have a Twin-Max electronic differential pressure gauge and it works

the MV race ECU was worse the idle was all over the place up and down ~500RPM??

bolted the MicroTec ECU on.....OK, the idle is too high, but
fans come on at 187F-86C hasn't seen 200F-93C since
its a little lean on hard decel.....but i don't mind a little crackling, just like on my Aprilia

take Lee's word for it "MicroTec, the best money spent on my bike!" (Tambo) and he tried everything

·
Registered
14,415 Posts
MicroTec?

ONAGER;
Eddypro explained it sort of :smoking:
MicroTec is plug and play, better fuel and ignition maps, fans come on at 86C-187F my bike WILL not go over 89C-192F......OK $1200 round number

race ECU list ~$1,700 CAG gets $500
PClll or V ~$325
add dyno time $$????
add it up

and your fans will still come on too late:jsm:

PS; i run my coolant level at MAX cold and the bitch doesn't pee a drop:naughty:

decatted, aftermarket air filter, early 6 piece head pipes

i have a Race ECU for a 910R PM me

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
1078 race ecu paid 360 dollars
pc5 paid 300 dollars
dyno tune 280 dollars
throttle body sync 35 dollars
total 1035 dollars
temp while running is 80 deg
temp while stopped is 93 deg
fans kick in at approx 90 deg
idle is now at approx 1250 rpm with fans on and 1350 with fans off
fuel economy brilliant
no snatchy throttle at all. nil.
microtec i would say would be around 1300 dollars ,still a good buy and i will probably buy one in the next 3 months just to compare the two
cheers eddy

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
:heart:here kitty kitty,helps with the backfire,cost?and do they make this mod for the 1078 b4.or should I go for the persian.HaHa.
P:S GREAT PHOTO
cheers

·
Registered
871 Posts
I went this route.

1078 race ecu paid 360 dollars
pc5 paid 300 dollars
dyno tune 280 dollars
throttle body sync 35 dollars
total 1035 dollars
temp while running is 80 deg
temp while stopped is 93 deg
fans kick in at approx 90 deg
idle is now at approx 1250 rpm with fans on and 1350 with fans off
fuel economy brilliant
no snatchy throttle at all. nil.
microtec i would say would be around 1300 dollars ,still a good buy and i will probably buy one in the next 3 months just to compare the two
cheers eddy
This battle has been fought many times, there is 2 options, this above and Microtec, you will have about 75% of the guys on here saying Microtec, and then there is guys like me and Eddypro who did the race ecu/PC V set up and are chillin like a villain. Eddy's prices are correct. Evolution Bikes has the best price on MV Race ECUs and has them for every model.

Yes microtec can be plug and play but guys on here have posted results of still getting more out of it with a tune and that is still more $. Your choice. Either way, it ain't cheap. Either way, the bike will be better. Good luck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a 2008 Brut 910s... Love the look and power of the bike. High speed handling is rock solid. But at low speeds and just off idle the throttle is snatchy and sometimes will lurch. When cold will stall pretty regularly when letting off throttle, rarely once warmed up.

I have simply rode through the issues... as it rarely stalls after warmed up, and as long as your aware of it, I was able to get used to the snatchy throttle. However I am supposed to track the bike start next month and decided the smoother the better... Racing school on sat, followed by a track day on Sunday. :f4:

Bike has 6000 miles, is going into shop next week for a new rear tire. After reading online I asked the dealer to reset the tps, balance the throttle bodies and change the spark plugs to NGK idriums. All told its gonna be 450 bucks. About $300 labor and like $150 for tire, or something like that.

Do you think this alone will fix my issues?

That said, when I looked a few years ago there was no computer options avail for the bike (power commanders) I have seen EPROMs online but in most cases they don't fit 08 bikes....

Is there a affordable computer option for my bike like an EPROM? I want to delete the cat, I have a cat delete pipe but don't want the bike to run poorly without it or have other issues.

Finally the dealer who is working on the bike is the dealer I bought the bike from. They are still an MV dealer but they rarely sell them anymore (bread and butter is Ducati and BMW). They are certified but don't have a "master mv mechanic" on staff, as he moved away. I'm sure they are competent, but should I be worried the steps online seem pretty for tps reset seem pretty straight forward, but does need knowledge of the system.

Thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
I didn't notice stalling or lurching on my own 910S, though the throttle is quite snappy. I don't mind it too much, it's a bit the character of the bike.

Mine does have a decat pipe and a Corse EEPROM, a mod that according to the previous owner was a "big step up" in fueling and smoothness of the throttle. I might look into adding a Power Commandor or Rapidbike, simply because it's running a bit on the rich side for the moment.
Still gotta put in my Iridium plugs though :)

·
Administrator
19,538 Posts
Make sure they set idle using computer diag software to read RPM, not tach on bike. Low idle causes most "stall when cold" problems and a lot of the low speed "snatch".

On the track you will find the bike responds and handles much better if yo keep the revs up. Downshift if yu find yourself coming out of corners below 4~5k rpm. This bike's engine and chassis both really responds to keeping the rpms up on the track.

Your bike should run fine with proper tune, even with decat. Options for the Euro3 ECU bikes are new reflashed ECU or race ECU like MicroTech.

Enjoy the track. The Brutale is a blast to ride when you can really open it up!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Brutale link pipe

So I have a 2008 brutale S (euro 3)... I have a link pipe from a euro 2 bike...

If I have an O2 bung welded to the cat delete. Can I use it just like that? Aka: do I need a EPROM or PC change just to get rid of the cat? I know my bike has one piece headers but I'm sure I can cut and make this work

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Yes you can weld the bung into place, if you can make the headers work, that will save you a few $. If your bike is a EU3, then you cant change the Eprom (there is none), you can however add a PC and get it tuned. Ride it first and see how it goes, is what I would do.
Are you sure it's an 08, I didn't think they still made the "S" in 08, I might be wrong though?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the updates guys, I made the original posts two plus years ago and wasn't sure if anything had changed so I reposted... I can't afford either option right now (I'm in process of buying a house) fiancé would kill me if I spent 1500 bucks!

Only reason I'm getting away with tire and maintenance is I budgeted those in and they are "safety issues"... Lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts