MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advice appreciated here!

Just purchased MV 2000 F4 750. Bike is stalling when clutch engaged & gearing down. Have covered the obvious - stale fuel. Refilled tank with high octane 98 unleaded & given the bike about a 80km run...no change.

Idle problem? Refer to workshop or do it yourself?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm by no means an expert on Agusta's, but I had a similar problems on a Duc I once owned, and it turned out to be a bad kick stand switch. The bike would just cut out and shut down durring hard shifts or on rough roads. I found if you tapped the switch while the bike was running you could replicate the problem. Swapped out the switch, and bingo! Problem solved. In your case, I'm not sure if thats the problem, but its worth a look.

If that doesnt seem to work or be the cause of the problem, it could also be a short somewhere in line of the N switch, which could be a little more tricky to find or track down.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had a similar thing on my Ducati 996, it turned out to be damp spark plugs due to overzealous pressure washing!!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm...still the stalling issue???

Hi folks,

The great riding weather is upon us once again & here to stay I hope. Interestly enough the warm weather is creating havoc with my bikes stalling problem.

Stalls when clutch is engaged, changing down gears & throttle released. I had up until yesterday mastered preventing stallling by blipping the throttle
& using the clutch mighty quick. Now once the bike gets over 90c it dies completely around town & will only start upon using the ignition switch. If I leave in neutral & blip the throttle it will stall immediately stall when hot! Last week at Thredbo it stalled at slow pace whilst changing from 1st to 2nd upon throttle response. Could this be the a problem with the throttle response sensor or may the intake air temp sensor???

Bike has been dyno tuned, spark plugs replaced with iridium plugs, I'm using premium fuel & not shell??? The bike has a performance chip & standard exhaust... maybe the problem may lie here & a powercommander be the trick. Perhaps going back to a standard chip???

Apart from this annoying problem the bike rides & handles beautifully.

Look forward to your opinions.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Hi there, I have a similar bike set up, and although mine stalls very rarley I did do some investigating on this. Mine has a factory Corse Chip and it is so much better higher in the range I don't want to go back to standard.
The importer told me the Corse Chip is intended for racing so MV won't be modyfing that.
I still don't believe a powercomander is required and I won't be going that route, I also am not a fan of the dyno etc.
I believe they are just tricky and need to be set up correctly. My dealer here in Sydney has just taken deleivery of some very special diagnostic equipment from MV, and they are picking my bike up tomorrow to set it all up using these tools.
Also removing the outside throttle spring so it is easier to turn makes a difference.
I'll let you know.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Lulu, the first time I got my 750, it would stall similar to yours. I was running a RG3 pipes with RG3 chip and would constantly stall in traffic. I notice that the bike would pop and surge at low revs with the above setup. The bike smelt rich even with the CO2 checkout within specs as per manual.

I've since modified a standard pipe as per Casoli mod and running the RG3 chip and everything works like a treat. No more stalling in traffic and the surging at low revs has 99% completely disapprear. Only once did the engine cut out in the 3000km of riding the twisties and that was when the engine was cold.

Yes the removal of the secondary throttle spring made the bike predictable at very small opening such as when you get stuck in stop go traffic.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys,

Following up the tps avenue this evening to try & sort things out.....will check in & let you know how we go!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Lulu_gems said:
Thanks guys,

Following up the tps avenue this evening to try & sort things out.....will check in & let you know how we go!

Any luck? My bike has now started doing the same thing. :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi guys,

Thanks Rockethouse for your advice, you were right on the money! An adjustment of the T.P.S. was in order & the bike no longer stalls when the clutch is engaged or gearing down. The warm weather now no longer effects a stall, although altitude (Falls Creek) will see the bike experience same symptoms of stalling when engaging the clutch for a period of time, downgearing 2/1st & revving the bike in neutral over 90%. This I can work around :)

I would suggest those experiencing similar problems to check out James C FAQ. This was a D.I.Y. adjustment so I'm sure a qualified MV servicer would hit the nail right on the head & solve your stalling issue with a t.p.s & co2 adjustment.

Happy riding!!!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Lulu, good to hear that it's better...as James post above states changing the plugs (for the stalling issue) for the iridium CR 9EIX (???)...it's in the FAQ. :)

·
Registered
803 Posts
Lulu_gems said:
Hi guys,

Thanks Rockethouse for your advice, you were right on the money! An adjustment of the T.P.S. was in order & the bike no longer stalls when the clutch is engaged or gearing down. The warm weather now no longer effects a stall, although altitude (Falls Creek) will see the bike experience same symptoms of stalling when engaging the clutch for a period of time, downgearing 2/1st & revving the bike in neutral over 90%. This I can work around :)

I would suggest those experiencing similar problems to check out James C FAQ. This was a D.I.Y. adjustment so I'm sure a qualified MV servicer would hit the nail right on the head & solve your stalling issue with a t.p.s & co2 adjustment.

Happy riding!!!
Congrats Lulu...I'm hoping mine is the same (stalled on me this morning :bash: ). I'm going to take it apart this Friday to check things out. Did you notice which way the TPS it was out of spec? Did the TPS think it was open at closed throttle or closed at open throttle?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts