MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would be interested in your thoughts on engine run in... there is so much written on this subject, and most of it with different and alternative view points. But this is generally related to mass produced motors.
Are there any gems of wisdom with the running in of 'hand built' Italian motors? (Taken for granted is the obvious 1 page overview in the owners manual...and they know best
My new F41000 is only 200 Kms old and have been following the manuals recomendation up to this point.

The mechanic in the dealership (who has worked on MV'S for 10 years, and sounded quite level headed, said give it heaps from day one...just not to the limiter for the first 100kms)

Any experiences out there?

Graham

·
Registered
3 Posts
agusta01 said:
The mechanic in the dealership (who has worked on MV'S for 10 years, and sounded quite level headed, said give it heaps from day one...just not to the limiter for the first 100kms)
Ever asked yourself, who get's the money for repairing the damage? Even if it's warranty, this only means, the dealer gets the money from MV instead of you, but it's your bike having higher oil consumption etc.

Anyway, how long does it take to break it in? 1000 km are done on two weekends. I wouldn't risk it...

Just my 2 ct.

.P.

·
Registered
8 Posts
...i would follow the manual, think logic. besides you will probably lose some power if you do not follow the guidelines...enjoy.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've owned Ducatis and this is my first MV. My advise is: follow the owner's manual... on my 750 the breaking in was 2500km, that's not that long... It's not a japanese bike... show it a bit of respect, that's part of the pleasure.
If you have a girl on the first night, are you as happy as when you get the same one after a bit of work...

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback, I imagine the mechanic in question has seen engine problems relating to both over heavy handed run in and the arguably more damaging steady low rpm in too higher gear, and was covering both aspects.
I guess the manual is the source of truth, thought the analogy to the girl on the first night was just great!

Graham

·
Registered
3 Posts
machine748s said:
on my 750 the breaking in was 2500km
Correct, though imho there should not be too much of a difference between 11k rpm (allowed after 1000km) and the rev limiter somewhere at 12k and I think the most important thing is to have the oil changed after 1000km and get rid of all the crap swimming in there. That's also why I would not rev it up to 11k before the oilchange even if the bike has passed the 1000km already.

@OP: Be patient! Funtime will come =)

Regards, .P.

·
Registered
293 Posts
supunabae said:
Correct, though imho there should not be too much of a difference between 11k rpm (allowed after 1000km) and the rev limiter somewhere at 12k and I think the most important thing is to have the oil changed after 1000km and get rid of all the crap swimming in there. That's also why I would not rev it up to 11k before the oilchange even if the bike has passed the 1000km already.

@OP: Be patient! Funtime will come =)

Regards, .P.
My rev limiter is at 13900rpm (750 SPR), for the first service (1000km) I only took 6500rpm. For breaking in, you should not over rev or under rev (more difficult...)... Drive smoothly... Be gentle with the lady... the bike, i mean the bike... ;-)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Give her plenty of full throttle roll-ons to seat the rings, but allow sufficient cooling in between. I'd still stick to the factory recommended rpm limits though. I broke in my 2005 F4-1000 that way and it has way better throttle response and has a lot more power now (2,500 mi).

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replys, on another thought, has anyone had the RG3 exhaust with its Eprom fitted to their F4, its a modification I would like to have done at the first service, I am mildly concerned about the noise level, in Austarlia noise is not a huge issue, but the data on the modification makes no reference to Db's. I am sure 101 db at 5500rpm is the 'legal' limit.
Is it a awesome improvment on sound?

But of course the performance lift is what interests me most, so any thoughts would be great.

Graham

·
Registered
375 Posts
The "Running In" that Agusta recommends is very reasonable.

Does anyone recommend changing the oil/filter before 600 miles is reached however ?

With my other bikes I usually will change the oil within the first 200 miles as I have discovered a lot of break in engine shavings during this time period.

It may be excessive I know, but I am anal.

Just was wondering what other MV owners did and feel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rg3

agusta01 said:
Thanks for all the replys, on another thought, has anyone had the RG3 exhaust with its Eprom fitted to their F4, its a modification I would like to have done at the first service, I am mildly concerned about the noise level, in Austarlia noise is not a huge issue, but the data on the modification makes no reference to Db's. I am sure 101 db at 5500rpm is the 'legal' limit.
Is it a awesome improvment on sound?

But of course the performance lift is what interests me most, so any thoughts would be great.

Graham
Yes, the RG3 sounds awesome.

A noticeable performance increase as well.

Strongly recommended.

geo

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Early oil changes

The advice I have been given re: a premature oil change prior the 1000Km service is that, this believe it or not, may be detremental to the most effective mating of parts.
Apparently the 1000Kms on mineral oil has been deemed the most effective period and even going too early to a synthetic might even be troublsome, but I guess if you say change at 600 Kms with fresh mineral oil, it could not harm, given the comment about all the metal stuff floating around!

What have others done?

·
Registered
375 Posts
agusta01 said:
The advice I have been given re: a premature oil change prior the 1000Km service is that, this believe it or not, may be detremental to the most effective mating of parts.
Apparently the 1000Kms on mineral oil has been deemed the most effective period and even going too early to a synthetic might even be troublsome, but I guess if you say change at 600 Kms with fresh mineral oil, it could not harm, given the comment about all the metal stuff floating around!

What have others done?

I am under the impression that the F4-1000 comes with full synthetic from the factory and no 'special' break in oil is used.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts