MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys,

I was wondering how hard is it to remove the engine of my brutale 800. I want to get the engine to be painted in black but my local shop asks around 600 dollar for removal

·
Administrator
20,051 Posts
Well...... how handy are you with tools???

The frame can be removed from the engine fairly easily. (Note, remove frame from engine. Not the other way around).

After removing exhaust, build an engine cradle from scrap lumber (or new if you want) under the engine cases to support it, .....with the chassis on a rear wheel stand.

Remove tank and other body parts...start unbolting the frame and set the front trellis with forks off to the side before removing the side plates and swing arm.

That is an overly simplistic description...... good luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for your reply, im actually a technician so i am familiar with tools :) if you say it like this it sounds not that difficult hehe.

i was looking in the maintance manual and found a chapter (chassis manual - frame - page 36) about removing the engine but its not clear if this is possible without removing the front suspension because they say (when al the bolts are removed) that i have to push the engine forwards.

·
Administrator
20,051 Posts
I haven't tried a 3 cylinder MV, but most bikes I have taken frames off of (as opposed to "removing the engine" when frame tubes are underneath) I was was able to remove the frame with front end intact.

On a MV 4 cylinder bike you can move the frame away from the engine for easier access to the valve train when a cam cap bolt refuses to come out. ;)

The object is to remove as few things as possible to just lift the bike off the engine. On a newer model GSX-R for instance this means remove swingarm/subframe/rear wheel as a unit, unbolt engine, disconnect wires etc, and lift the frame off. Throttle bodies and cables, wire harness, front end and a lot of stuff are not really disturbed.

The key is having a supporting stand under the engine (not just a jack)....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts