MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was told it would take between 3.5 and 4 hrs to do the valve adjustment.

Just wondering if the engine has to be removed for a valve clearance adjustment?

·
Administrator
19,508 Posts
No, it does not.
How many miles on your bike? Takes less time for inspection only (and that is likely all you need).

·
Registered
272 Posts
Valve adjustments are much easier on the F3 series than F4 series, even if you have to pull the cams. No need to pull radiator. Cams roll out much easier with the LH cam drive (vs. center).

One thing I noticed that wasn't thought out very well is, MV positioned the key lock for the seat release right in front of the cam chain tensioner. It's impossible to remove the 2 nuts to remove the key lock without building a proper tool. You have to remove the key lock to remover the cam chain tensioner. Not a big deal after you build a $10 tool out of a flat blade screwdriver and a 8mm socket, but still kinda dumb.

·
Registered
272 Posts
By the way, i had one tight valve at 600 miles.

Anyone who goes till the first recommended service before checking valves on any bike is crazy! 75% of the bikes I've owned have had at least one valve out at 600 miles. My last Ducati (hyper 1100) - exhaust valve tight and bike farting at 1700 miles, Rivale 800 - intake valve tight at 600 miles.

·
Administrator
19,508 Posts

Anyone who goes till the first recommended service before checking valves on any bike is crazy! 75% of the bikes I've owned have had at least one valve out at 600 miles. My last Ducati (hyper 1100) - exhaust valve tight and bike farting at 1700 miles, Rivale 800 - intake valve tight at 600 miles.
That hasn't been my experience. Maybe I've been lucky, but I rarely hear of shim bucket valves needing adjustments until many thousands of miles have gone by......but if you only race or track the bike and no street riding all bets are off.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Interesting, as I queried the local MV dealer (31 miles away) about valve adjustment on the B3 800.
He said they rarely find any current MV engines in need of actual valve shim adjustment at 7500 mile service.

But, good to hear you had a different experience.
I will keep that in mind; and not a deal breaker to check valves @ 600 for me. As, valve adjustment is within my skill set.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts