MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,329 Posts
High end full synthetic of the viscosity specified in the manual.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I see from your profile that you're form the UK. Some oils that have been suggested on the forum are hard/impossible to come by outside of the market of the person recommending it.

I think MVs current tie-in with Motul will have your dealer pointing to Motul 7100 4T 5W40.

I've recently bought some Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T 5W40 for mine.

So long as it's fully synthetic 5W40 with the correct spec (API SL, JASO MA, MA2) and a reputable brand then you should be OK. Don't skimp on oil, it's the lifeblood of your engine.

·
Administrator
19,829 Posts
5-40 for your bike....10-60 for my 910R

Oh goody...another oil thread..:jsm: :wtf: :yo: :blah:

Do a search. This topic has been reviewed adnauseum before.

Just buy motorcycle specific quality oil!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T 5W40, API SL, JASO MA, MA2 for me.
It is easy to get on Amazon and reasonably priced.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've been running Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T 5W40 in my 3 cylinder without any issues.

As has already been mentioned this has been discussed before and at least for the 3 cylinder engines, I believe 10w-40 synthetic is also safe to use.

My question is, does anyone think the 3 cylinder could handle 10w-50 without any issue? I ask because I'm interested in determining if a small change like this could also potentially help keep the heat issues inherent with the engine down a bit.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The manual says that if the bike is to be used in races then the recommended oil is 20W-50 for the 2010+ F4.

·
Registered
465 Posts
High quality synthetic oil of designated viscosity. The oil also must be ok for use with wet clutches . Oil with too many friction modifiers and additives could ruin your clutch. You can often order oil online and get exactly what you want delivered to your doorstep, if the local shops don't carry.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I've been running Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T 5W40 in my 3 cylinder without any issues.

As has already been mentioned this has been discussed before and at least for the 3 cylinder engines, I believe 10w-40 synthetic is also safe to use.

My question is, does anyone think the 3 cylinder could handle 10w-50 without any issue? I ask because I'm interested in determining if a small change like this could also potentially help keep the heat issues inherent with the engine down a bit.
I run this in my 1078RR. Found it to give the smoothest gearchange.

Cheers

Deano

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
If I'm not totally mistaken it says 10w-50 for the F3 800 in my manual?
Well what's the problem, stick to what it says for your manual in your Country mate, it varies between models and sometimes even between Countries.

·
Super Moderator
22,329 Posts
I run this in my 1078RR. Found it to give the smoothest gearchange.

Cheers

Deano

The 1078 is a four cylinder with a different oil viscosity spec.

·
Registered
5,578 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I use 10W-50 for my F3 675 (hot South African climate). Castrol Power 1 (great oil, half the price of Motul 300v and keeps the gearbox slick for quite a bit longer).

·
Registered
138 Posts
I picked my F3 up yesterday and was advised to run 10/40 as opposed to 5/40 in it as it will be used on track only.
Also I had an ex T3 675 race bike and was told not to use fully synth as slipper clutches didn't like it. A lot of the T3 bikes ran Castrol Power1 as on tests it gave better performance, (acceleration)
I change the oil and filter every 2 to 3 days anyway so was told not to waste my money putting FS in as it's changed regular.
I've used it for several years and will continue to do so. Pays ya money and takes ya choice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts